Seat Savers - Gel or not?

UnaB

Visit site
Hi,

Looking at seat Savers and had planned to get a bog standard sheepskin one but in my online hunting I have come across the acavallo gel seat Savers. Are these better than sheepskin? More secure? Worth the extra money???

Also, what's the difference between "in" and "out"?

Thanks!!

Haz:)

Visit site
No experience with gel seat savers, but I have a faux wool / fleece on and found it just got in the way and was too bulky and not really that comfortable or effective. It wasn't too secure either. My leather saddle mounded to my backside anyway within a few weeks so the saddle soreness stopped quickly and I haven't used it since. I wouldn't a recommend a fleece one to be honest... But this is just my opinion. It may of just been a bad brand or something. The acavallo ones look really comfy lol but I wasn't sure either.

Last edited:

spacefaer

Visit site
The acavallo ones are very sticky and really comfy - I've ridden in a gel-out one, and the only drawback I came across is that it is like sitting on a wet sponge if you ride in the rain.......

soulfull

Visit site
Gel out is awesome. A couple have said they found them too sticky but myself and 3 friends haven't had that trouble.
They do a standard one and a thicker one, I wouldn't like the thicker one though

spacefaer

Visit site
I have a gel in one and love it. Can't comment on it's performance in the rain, I am one half of a diva princess partnership that simply doesn't do rain.

Very sensible! The lady that owned the horse/gel seat saver made the mistake of going hunting in it on a rainy day and had the unpleasant soggy sensation all day......

lewis2015

Visit site
I have an acavallo gel out one on my gelding's saddle. I bought it because people said they help you keep your seat and he tends to spook and spin and I think it has helped with that! I don't really notice the 'comfort' difference, however my friend who hadn't ridden for years now comes to ride both of mine and she said she was more saddle sore from my mare's saddle than his so it must help there too!

I have noticed it sometimes gets a bit 'folded up' at the corner when I'm riding so have to rearrange it, but am generally happy with it. However, I'm not sure I'd buy another one for mare's saddle. Might try a 'gel in' or HM one next.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I prefer proper sheepskin for slow hacking, and Gel Out for active work. I find the Gel Out ones a bit chafe-inducing for long periods of walk. For active work the sheepskin are inclined to get in the way/ slip.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I've got the gel in which means the sticky side is on the saddle not on my butt. I've also found it causes chafing if I go off for a long ride and haven't been using it (first big ride was a 25km endurance ride - big mistake!) but it's fine if I build it up/use it all the time. If you do get one you can cut the side straps off as they are irrelevant and just use the velcro elastic up the gullet and the flap bits for it to be very secure.

I've also got a sheepskin bare back pad and it's not caused me any chafing. It's probably more pleasant than the gel in heavy rain as well. I thought it would be really hot but it wasn't unpleasant although I mainly used it in the colder months.

Abacus

Visit site
I have gel in, and I love it. Use it on a variety of saddles and have never had a problem on longer hacks. It's very comfortable, without being so deep I can't move in the saddle. And even though the gel is 'in', the outside is not at all slippery. Agree about the side straps though, they are terrible and unnecessary.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
If you're thinking of a Heather Moffatt seat saver then just have a look on e-bay coz there'll always be at least five for sale on there at any one time.

Saddle up, plonk on a HM seatsaver and go for a hack - half an hour should do it, no less than that - and you'll discover why; they're like sitting on rough sandpaper :( - rubs you in all the wrong places (say no more). Bleddi things are only good for chucking on the bonfire IME.

Give me a nice sheepskin any day.

thinkitwasjune

Visit site
I have an Acavallo gel out and it's the best thing ever. Super comfy and really helps my keep my seat on my spooky gelding! I've had it for two years and it's more than worth the money.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Love my gel out so so much. It helps enormously with the lower back pain I always got when riding. Never tried gel in but so much prefer them to sheepskin seat savers.