Seat savers

Chianti

Visit site
Which seat savers do people recommend for a bad back? I had a herniated disc a few years ago and my back is getting painful again. I've used a Heather Moffett one for years but just wondered if anything else might help more.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I second Acavallo. They use the same material that are in wheelchair seats and they are comfy.

I also had the same problem and I bought some rip off Sprenger stirrup irons (Robinsons do a cheap version) as these will help you as well as the seat saver, particularly if your horse is very active from behind as it cushions the impact from the stirrup iron to the back.

Chianti

Visit site
I second Acavallo. They use the same material that are in wheelchair seats and they are comfy.

I also had the same problem and I bought some rip off Sprenger stirrup irons (Robinsons do a cheap version) as these will help you as well as the seat saver, particularly if your horse is very active from behind as it cushions the impact from the stirrup iron to the back.

Thanks - have got Sprenger irons as also have bad knees- think my body is trying to tell me something.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Well done you OP for riding in a Heather Moffatt one!!

I tried one a while back; was only out for half-hour and by god the bleddi thing was like sandpaper on my foof..........

I'd bought the thing on e-bay and so fortunately hadn't spent a fortune on it; but then realisation dawned as to why you can always get a HM seat-saver on there.

Never ever again!!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Whereas I love my Heather Moffat seat saver, and it has never rubbed my nether regions :). You can see it fitted to the saddle in my avatar, the thick layer of memory foam helps enormously with shock absorption. Plus I have Sprenger Bow Balance stirrups.

How thick are the Acavello gel out seat savers in comparison?

meleeka

Visit site
How thick are the Acavello gel out seat savers in comparison?
They are thinner but seem to work as well. I have both and prefer the gel out because it’s not as thick It doesn’t feel that I’m higher than I would be with just a saddle. They do a gel in too but I’m not sure if that’s the same.

Surbie

Visit site
I fell off 2 weeks ago and slammed my coccyx. A very kind person on the yard has lent me their Acavallo gel out seat saver and it's really comfy!

Last edited:

Surbie

Visit site
I have an unstable coccyx that dislocates hundreds of times a day and I use an acavello gel out and find it helps with the discomfort.

Have you tried the ortho-coccyx version? I've got lower back issues and am interested in whether it makes a difference.

pansymouse

Visit site
I use an Acavallo gel in seat saver - have for years, I have a bony bum! I can't stand the feel of the gel so I couldn't use a gel out one, makes me shudder even thinking about touching it :oops: