Sec A lame...

qwerty123

Visit site
... Or not.

Pony has no history of laminitis and is not overweight, but is out in a field with a fair amount of grass though it's only 1 1/2 acre section with 2 others as I'm trying to get them to graze the knee high grass down!

Lunged her last Thursday, twice she seemed unlevel for a stride but the school was deep and there was nothing else to concern me.

Farrier came on Friday and trimmed her a little (hardly anything needed taking off).
Friday afternoon seemed unsound for a few strides when leading to field, it was stony ground and she was immediately fine once off the rough ground.
Every day since she has seemed unlevel on that particular area but fine elsewhere so have put it down to maybe being a bit footsore or maybe brewing an abscess.

Tonight I lead her out of her stable and she nearly fell over, could hardly walk she was so lame on both fronts. Stopped immediately and felt for heat etc... Nothing. Asked her to walk again and she was ok, by the time we reached the end of the barn she was totally sound and then trotted up sound!

Any ideas? I've never ever had to deal with laminitis before, could this be early signs? Something else? I have the vet coming to see my other horse tomorrow so will talk to them but I'm worrying a bit, especially as I've turned her out tonight.

Clodagh

Visit site
If you have a pony who has had laminitis at the first lame or reluctant step treat them as though they have full blown laminitis. Heat in the hooves means nothing, lame on both fronts means I really wouldn't turn her out until the vet has been.
Too late now I see. I hope she is OK this morning.

_HP_

Visit site
Being 'footy' is your warning sign.
Check her pulses...that's a better indication than heat in the hoof but I would say that she has early signs of what could be laminitis.
I would keep her off the grass for a couple of days to see if there is an improvement and take it from there.

qwerty123

Visit site
I've brought her in this morning and she was footy on concrete. Couldn't feel a pulse so I guess that's a good thing.
I will keep her in and speak to the vet later. This is all new to me, I've never had an issue. This is a relatively new yard to me and on speaking to other liveries, 2 horses have had laminitis previously (one sadly pts) and they were 16hh+ so a bit concerning.