Sec b - how much weight

MyBoyChe

Visit site
How much weight do you think it would be fair to ask a 13hd Sec b to carry. Max of an hour and walk hacks only. Pony is currently out of work with no issues and Im seriously considering whether he would be OK to take out for short walking hacks with me. Ive always just assumed I was too heavy for him but now Im wondering. Hes a sweet little soul and not the sort to complain so Id like opinions please. Im 5'4 and a tad over 10 st, obv need to add on his saddle. I sit very still and quietly and he wouldnt be expected to do more than an hour a week at a walk, I just got to thinking he might enjoy a little trip out in the summer. Is it an absolute no?

Mudfukkle

Visit site
I've got a Sec B, she's 13.2hh but she's got legs like sticks, so from that perspective I wouldn't ride her, I only long rein her. I'm 5'4" and 8 stone, but still feel too big for her stick legs :)

Goldie's mum

Visit site
I have to agree with the opinions above - sorry.

Just want to add, so it's here, that just popping on an out of work pony for a bit of a hack now and then would have a lower rider weight limit than regular riding, because of the pony being less fit and not having the same back muscles.

Last edited:

gallopingby

Visit site
It depends entirely on the pony! Section Bs until a while ago we’re able to carry farmers going about their work.More recently they’ve become spindly legged animals suitable only as children’s riding ponies. Just because a pony is 13.2 doesn’t make it a child’s pony it’s more about conformation, pony, terrain and rider ability.

follysienna

Visit site
It probably depends on the build of the pony. Old fashioned type sec Bs have a fair amount of bone and you'd be within the 20% guidelines. Modern sec Bs can really lack bone though, I had a spindly type sec B and she was only 250kg.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I wouldn't- I weigh less than you, similar height and there's no way I'd get on a Sec B, maybe a Sec C depending on build etc.

Also, if he's not fit, he shouldn't be expected to carry his max weight limit straight away!

maya2008

Visit site
No. I weigh 9st and have a chunky 13hh NF. I am paranoid about my weight because I don’t have a lot of leeway once you add tack, boots, coat, hat. Your pony is finer so will weigh less and you weigh more than me - you’ll definitely be over 20%.