Second greyhound - any tips?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
So we've had our gorgeous boy for around 18 months now, and have gradually come round to the idea that perhaps he would be happier with a buddy.

Our local rescue have just got in a stunning younger boy who I went to meet this morning. It's safe to say it was love at first sight! Where Daffs was quite aloof during our early meetings, the new boy started off quite shy but was soon playing with me in the yard (something the staff were surprised by as apparently he doesn't play with them) and even came to call... although I'm pretty sure that was just fluke! Plenty of cuddles and licks later, I trundled home with a Cheshire cat grin on my face having booked in a meet and greet with OH and Daffs for the weekend.

But now the worries are kicking in. What if Daffs hates the new boy? What if they don't get on once they're home? Any tips for a smooth introduction or reassurance that it'll all be ok?

kimberleigh

Visit site
So we've had our gorgeous boy for around 18 months now, and have gradually come round to the idea that perhaps he would be happier with a buddy.

Our local rescue have just got in a stunning younger boy who I went to meet this morning. It's safe to say it was love at first sight! Where Daffs was quite aloof during our early meetings, the new boy started off quite shy but was soon playing with me in the yard (something the staff were surprised by as apparently he doesn't play with them) and even came to call... although I'm pretty sure that was just fluke! Plenty of cuddles and licks later, I trundled home with a Cheshire cat grin on my face having booked in a meet and greet with OH and Daffs for the weekend.

But now the worries are kicking in. What if Daffs hates the new boy? What if they don't get on once they're home? Any tips for a smooth introduction or reassurance that it'll all be ok?

If the meet&greet goes well then you are off to a great start! How does Daffs feel about other dogs in general? Does he want to interact with dogs on walks or does he prefer to just bumble about and ignore others?

If everything goes well at the meet&greet and you go ahead with taking him on, then the best bet would be to walk them both together - before you take him indoors. Make sure things like toys/treats etc arent left laying around so nothing for either to get possessive over. Plus make sure there are enough comfy sleeping places that they dont both want to share same one and potentially fall out.

If either have been in racing/coursing kennels they are often doubled up in their kennels anyway - and those that are a bit grumpy about sharing just get muzzled! So may be handy to have muzzles on standby just in case.

Having said that more are happy just to get along than not so try not to worry too much!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
It's hard to say with Daffs, at daycare he loves everyone and really thrives being around others. On walks it's less clear cut, as some days he's happy to meet others and other days he'll growl and bark and then try to play. I honestly don't think he'd ever do anything nasty, he's just a bit unsure how to introduce himself especially if he's on the leash (which is pretty standard really).

Both have been in racing kennels, although the newbie is only 2 and has no record that we can find so I suspect he didn't make it out of training. Daffs on the other hand retired at 4 and was relatively successful so probably has more experience of being with others than I give him credit for.

I'm so totally smitten by the new one, I just really hope they get along.

{97702}

Visit site
Any tips? Get a 3rd and 4th one too :D :D

Whenever I add a new one to my lot I simply introduce them at kennels - you know immediately if there are going to be problems, and if not then you are good to go. I have only had problems once, years ago, when the prospective new greyhound dog growled at my existing entire lurcher boy (who was as thick as two short planks and never hurt a fly!) - cue quick separation and trying another!

In fact now I think about it, I got Amy without introducing her to the other 2 bitches I had at the time - i brought her home on her own, put them all on leads and took them out for a walk immediately, and that was it. Perhaps that's why she has had a few scraps with Flick over the years :D

Seriously though, you will know immediately with dogs (rather than bitches) and if they are OK at the meet and greet it's very unlikely they will suddenly fall out when the newbie comes home - just use a bit of common sense, feed well apart and don't allow possible flash points like toys/squeezing through doorways all together/competing for fuss and attention

Don't forget the mandatory pictures :) And although I know you are smitten, the sad thing with greyhounds is that if Daffs doesn't get on with this particular boy then there are hundreds of others out there looking for homes....

CrazyMare

Visit site
Ours met for about 10 mins in the office while we did the foster paperwork then had quick wees before getting in car and driving home!!

We had plenty of comfy beds out, and they got a new toy each then we went for a walk.

Maggie was meant to be a Christmas foster but we kept her.

They now often lay resting in each other.

Both had been doubled up in kennels, and we muzzled them both when we had to leave them for the first day or so. I seem to remember one took their muzzle off do we just left it then!!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Lévrier;13811036 said:
Any tips? Get a 3rd and 4th one too :D :D

Haha don't it's taken OH 18 months to agree to us getting another, I think he might have a meltdown if I added another 2 to the mix :D

We're heading down early to the kennels for the intro and I'll probably let OH handle the introduction as I don't want Daffs picking up on my nerves at all. Hopefully it'll all go smoothly, but if not I know there'll be others out there...it's just this little guy is so amazing! Fingers crossed! And of course there'll be pics if all goes well ;)

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Ours met for about 10 mins in the office while we did the foster paperwork then had quick wees before getting in car and driving home!!

We had plenty of comfy beds out, and they got a new toy each then we went for a walk.

Maggie was meant to be a Christmas foster but we kept her.

They now often lay resting in each other.

Both had been doubled up in kennels, and we muzzled them both when we had to leave them for the first day or so. I seem to remember one took their muzzle off do we just left it then!!

Ah this makes me feel better. Hopefully I'm just overthinking things as I'm a bit excited about the prospect of having another bundle of fun in our life and did I mention he's sooo cute?! :D Really looking forward to our meet & greet now.