Second Hand Patriot Saddles

Counterpoint

Visit site
I need a new jumping saddle and really like the look of the ideal patriot saddles from stirlingshire saddlery. I have contacted them and although they do have a few second hand saddles they don't have them in the size I need.

I can't afford new, and need a monoflap (for stability on the horse) with largeish knee/thigh blocks in Med or M/w and about 17.5" pref brown.

I've checked the usual online places (ebay, saddles direct etc)

Has anyone got any suggestions as to where I might be able to get one from? or a similar saddle?

Luci07

Visit site
how do you know this saddle will fit you and your horse? have you been told that the tree will fit?

Not having a poke at you, just my own experience. I was hellbent on getting an Albion mono... when I finally tracked one down, assuming it would fit as I had a K2, it was only to find that it looked like a pea on my horse and the tree did not suit him.

Counterpoint

Visit site
how do you know this saddle will fit you and your horse? have you been told that the tree will fit?

Not having a poke at you, just my own experience. I was hellbent on getting an Albion mono... when I finally tracked one down, assuming it would fit as I had a K2, it was only to find that it looked like a pea on my horse and the tree did not suit him.

I don't.
As you say they need to be tried, and in this case its an unknown quantity. I changed my dressage saddle from Equipe to Amerigo because I knew the Amerigo's tree was slightly more curved, and so it proved.

However the spec of this for me looks like exactly what I as a rider want, I know that some of prestige and amerigo saddles will fit, also the ideal dressage I tried was ok (but not brilliant) so I want to find somewehre thats selling them, hoipefully they'll let me try them (or buy with the option of a return) but they aren't common so I was asking where would be a good place to look.

Luci07

Visit site
Thinking outside the box..

If you found a supplier with a second hand saddle which in theory would suit, would it help if you could send them a trace of your horses back? by this I mean using a soft bar or even a wire hanger which can be moulded just behind the wither and then traced onto paper (as your saddler does when checking shape changes etc). Just a thought but might save you time..

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Good luck finding one - they're as rare as rocking horse poo :( Last one I saw come up second hand sold for £1800. They are amazing saddles!!

Counterpoint

Visit site
Thinking outside the box..

If you found a supplier with a second hand saddle which in theory would suit, would it help if you could send them a trace of your horses back? by this I mean using a soft bar or even a wire hanger which can be moulded just behind the wither and then traced onto paper (as your saddler does when checking shape changes etc). Just a thought but might save you time..

Good thinking, I've been in contact with Sterlingshire, so I could send them a trace and check its likely/unlikely to fit... still need to test a real saddle but I'll get on to that - I've done traces before and I've got several of the bendy things somewhere.

Chocy

Visit site
I think I'm right saying the Patriots are made by Ideal for Stirlingshire so u could ask Ideal what tree they are on & try out one of Ideals own make saddles with same tree at least giving u an idea if tree is a good shape for your horse. Lots of saddle fitters around that deal with Ideal so poss not to hard to try find saddle with same tree to try???
I bought a new Patriot double flap saddle & hated it!! Poss as was not right size/fit for horse (tho told it was-long story) & horse went badly in it.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Good thinking, I've been in contact with Sterlingshire, so I could send them a trace and check its likely/unlikely to fit... still need to test a real saddle but I'll get on to that - I've done traces before and I've got several of the bendy things somewhere.

Width is such a small part of fit and even Ideal trees are adjustable to a certain extent, I would want to be sending photos and possibly videos to ask their opinion, especially if you aren't able to return said saddle. Tree shape, not width, isn't adjustable at all, so best to get as much info as possible.

Goldenstar

Visit site
They are great saddles I have seven .
I have replaced trees in two of them when horse grew and some have been stripped down and reflocked at home by Alene several times as they move between horses .
However the trees suit the type of horses I buy you would need to careful .
They also are very often custom built when new so the panel sizes do vary , I three medium wide ones all fit differently .
They are very sought after second hand .

Luci07

Visit site
Width is such a small part of fit and even Ideal trees are adjustable to a certain extent, I would want to be sending photos and possibly videos to ask their opinion, especially if you aren't able to return said saddle. Tree shape, not width, isn't adjustable at all, so best to get as much info as possible.

True but its a good first step. Absolutely no point in trying to pursue this if it doesn't pass this hurdle and could really save some time.

Goldenstar

Visit site
True but its a good first step. Absolutely no point in trying to pursue this if it doesn't pass this hurdle and could really save some time.

Stirlingshire would be the people to approach they know this saddle better than anyone as they developed it and work with them all the time .

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk

Except that width is very slightly adjustable even in a used saddle. Shape isn't and a good fitter can look at a photo of a horse's back and have a good idea if a tree is the right shape, if they know that tree well. Stirlingshire should indeed be able to advise but Ideal too as they make it for Stirlingshire.

I did direct the post on FB to this forum but yes, there is one on FB, also on Saddles for Sale and Wanted I think.

rexyroo

Visit site
I need a new jumping saddle and really like the look of the ideal patriot saddles from stirlingshire saddlery. I have contacted them and although they do have a few second hand saddles they don't have them in the size I need.

I can't afford new, and need a monoflap (for stability on the horse) with largeish knee/thigh blocks in Med or M/w and about 17.5" pref brown.

I've checked the usual online places (ebay, saddles direct etc)

Has anyone got any suggestions as to where I might be able to get one from? or a similar saddle?

I actually have a 17.5" Med Ideal patriot, older version for sale at £425 ono, let me know if any interest

The black one on facebook was also mine, but now sold

Last edited: