Second hand saddle

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
My new (second hand) saddle arrived today:)

I haven't tried it on my horse yet. But on examination one of the stirrup bar safety catches is missing, I don't know if that is its name, but, it's the piece of metal at the end of the stirrup bar that can point up, but is used when it is in line with the safety bar.

If the saddle fits and is comfortable can I get this replaced, or is it worth getting it replaced?

Here it is............

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/frankstown/P1010065_zps349d2aff.jpg

Jnhuk

Visit site
I would speak to a local saddler and get their opinion on how easy a repair it would be. Does the stirrup leather stay in place okay when you are riding or is it slipping off?

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
They are called thumbs and should be left open at all times anyway, never rely on them opening if you take a tumble and need the stirrup leather to release.
Although in theory if there's enough length in the remaining bar to accomodate your stirrup leather you could use the saddle as it is, my main concern would be why they broke and if there's a weakness there.
The rivets that hold the bar together look very cheap, so I would recommend replacing both sides to be on the safe side. The end where the thumb should be looks a tad sharp too but that could be the angle of the camera.
Oz

Last edited:

Polos Mum

Visit site
I don't think it performs any necessary function but I would get a proper saddler to check the tree (just take it in and they give it a good squeeze!) as I'm not really sure how you could break that without some damage elsewhere!

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
You're welcome Ashgrove, thumbs are traditional and stem from yesteryear when saddles were cleaned after every use and the thumbs were oiled regularly.
I see thumbs seized through lack of maintenance all the time so for many years saddlers have always recommended not to have them closed as they can't be relied on to open when needed.
Oz