Secondary School Teachers (eps science)

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm with Jess here. All career-type jobs require flexibility these days. I used to have weeks where I would have to be in the lab for 14 hours on 3 consecutive days (or more if I was really pushing it!). Everyone I know in academia and R&D is the same.

Teachers do seem to believe they work harder than anyone else. I notice it with friends and when I did some experience at a local school. To be honest, the frequency of the 'woe is me' attitude quite put me off going into teaching and having to work with these people.

(Though I'd add a disclaimer that I'm sure none of the posters on his thread are so out of touch with reality)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I agree,

Why teachers get the impression their day is longer than everyone else's I'm not really sure to be honest...

What professional actually works nine to five?! For a start standard hours now days tend to be nine to five thirty and that's without all the unpaid overtime everyone does :p

well quite, I do think essentially if you are on a teacher's salary or above and not working for flexitime for the government (when they all seem to leave at lunchtime on a friday :p) it is unlikely you are managing a 9-5 without any other expectations of you.

Sister has just finished PGCE year...... Frank is loving the fact he is now being ridden every day until september :p :D

Adina

Visit site
I am a retired science teacher. My daughter is in medical research. My husband is in Highway Engineering. Son is a policeman. All work long hours, my daughter the longest on some occasions. Lots of people work a 50 hour week. But what no-one has mentioned is the total inflexibility of teaching. You work to a very rigid timetable with add-ons that you are expected to do. You cannot, if you are having a bad day, stop for a quick cup of coffee or a 10 minute chill-out. But horses are the most wonderful stress reliever after a hard day. You need to have a support system set up, either the livery set-up or friends that you can ring - or who can organise Vet in case of accident. Have a contingency plan for the worst case scenario, so that you know your horse will be OK. I managed 3 horses, 3 kids and worked full-time, so it can be done. But I often had to pay for help.

Highlands

Visit site
I work flipping hard I agree , teaching is very consuming and I suspect I get very wrapped up in it. Other professions work as hard but 30 pupils can be very wearing ....but am sure some bosses and clients can be as awful!

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
I think the other bit of teaching is that you're effectively performing to a (sometimes unwilling) audience, so however tired or worn out you're feeling, you can't just excuse yourself to the bathroom or whatever (not that you can in all jobs!) I think it's unrecognised just how many holidays and evenings are taken up with extra work. In answer to your question OP I managed a horse and PGCE relatively easily, and I used to take a Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning off, plus one weeknight (usually Friday)- we also had to do a research project (15,000 words) to get some silly half masters thing.

Pigeon

Visit site
My friend is a TA and she has it quite easy. I suppose she doesn't have marking to do, but 8am - 4pm is really really nice hours in relation to wage, not to mention the time off in half term/summer hols etc.

Try my job, worked in london the other day, 4am start and didn't get home til 10pm, argghh. Luckily I have sisters who will do pony on days like that.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
see I don't think it is unrecognised re the evenings/holidays/weekends... just that the majority of other people probably do that too!

I did have to :D at Radio 4 this evening with somebody extolling how important the 6 weeks holidays are for teachers so they can go back to work really refreshed ;)

Jesstickle

Visit site
I think teachers work hard. I am sure they do. I just don't think they work harder than the majority of professionals.

I wouldn't do it though ( not keen on kids) so respect to all you teachers out there :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I have a sharer and he can live out most of the summer, thank God. Winter is extremely hard work and the lane to the field is not lit. Fortunately, he comes to call!

Some teachers might finish at 3.30, not me. I have frequent meetings til silly o'clock and half an hour between end of school and start of Parents' Evening. That would get me to the yard and back if I didn't get out of the car!

pansy

Visit site
The original post was....

I'm due to start my PGCE in september and I'm really excited about it. I will be teaching all three sciences up to GCSE level and Chemistry at A level. I'm just wondering how you all find balancing your job and your horse. Is it easier/harder than with a regular office job? Do you still find you have enough family time and things?

It is hard with horses if you work full time & it is nice to have someone that can help you out whether it be family or part/full livery unless you have support whatever career you have in winter it is going to be hard - but once you are settled in your job, you settle into a routine & get on with it

I think it has been established that teaching is not part time & that a 9-5 job is also not always a 9.-5 job - but it can be done & the good days will make up for all the running around

My personal view is as you haven't already a horse would be to wait a whil , maybe loan until you have settled into your career & then if you still want to - go for it :)