Section A first pony for my daugher

angel01

Visit site
Hi

I need some advice on buying a Section A first pony for my daughter who is 9 yrs old atm.

could you tell me the best size to get her obviously she will need something she can grow into, but there is so many different hhs i want to get the most suitable size for her.

Also can u tell me which are the best sites to look at around the cheshire area?

Thankyou

WelshD

Visit site
Horse Gossip, the Pony Club and the Welsh Section A Facebook group would be good places to look

I'm not sure about size but looking at my 9 year old nephew and my two Welsh section A ponies I think I'd be tempted to look for something just a tiny bit bigger as officially section A ponies are a max 12hh

Littlelegs

Visit site
You appear to have double posted same thread? Kids are different heights, weights, abilities etc. So same reply from me as before. If you aren't even sure what size she needs, ask her instructors advice, both on what she needs & to help purchase.

Sarah1

Visit site
Has your daughter ridden at a riding school?

My little girl isn't as old as yours, she's only 2 years old. We've just bought her a little Shetland mare - she may not even stick at it but I wanted something she could just potter round & get her confidence with & if she wants to ride too then that's a bonus.

I remember my nieces at your daughters age though and I would say as a 1st pony I would get something that fits now & let her become a bit big for the pony over the next few years before buying her something to grow into if that makes sense? My nieces are both petite but got the best out of the ponies when their legs were a bit longer - when they were starting to look a bit big TBH :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We got a 12h for my stepson when he was nine, and he had three good years on her. I'd just look on Horse and hound or the ponyclub website - perhaps contact local pony clubs, as a lot of ponies go up for sale at this time of year once the season is over..

DSC00059.jpg

This was our diddy pony. Six years on and he is now riding a 17h horse. I miss the ponies!

angel01

Visit site
Thankyou for your reply

just want to say both are so cute :mad:)

i shall have a look at pony clubs in cheshire and give them a ring my daughter can ride and pop a small jump but she is just starting out and getting her confidence so dont want anything to big but something that she can grow with.

Dubsie

Visit site
Depends on the height of your daughter, mine was tall so at 9 an 11.2 SecA was fine, but by 10 if she jumped the pony over 2ft3 it was daughter's feet tipping the poles. We then got her a 14h New Forest and a 13.2 ridden companion, she should get 4 years out of the NF (just) heightwise, the 13.2 she outgrew in 2 years, can still ride him but looks tall on him (she is 5ft7 and 13)

scrunchie

Visit site
You do realise that Section A's are well known for being awkward buggers? They defo make good riders with their antics though. Lol.

I'd be tempted to buy something a little bigger. Maybe a sec b or c if you like the Welshies.

nikCscott

Visit site
Depending on her height i'd probably go for a Sec B or similar my daughter is very tall and only just 7 and i think she'll have another 2 years on her Sec A max if that!

tinap

Visit site
I would also go for something a bit bigger (& agree with scrunchie about temperament!) I had to get a section A for my daughter as a 2nd pony because we couldnt find one small enough - it was 11.2hh & she was a very small 6yrs - I don't think it would have lasted her until she was 9 even though she was small (it died before then so never got to see how long the daughter would fit it for) It was a sod though too but couldn't half jump!

Clodagh

Visit site
Bs tend to be easier than As and if you can find a nice old fashioned type they have the bone still. Some As are lovely but the arab used to refine them makes some a bit hot. I would phone your local PC District Commisioner (spelling, sorry) who may well know of an outgrown pony who would be suitable. Do you want an A for showing as just a mutley pony may be your best bet.

creamsoda

Visit site
When my daughter was 9 we bought her a 12.2 pony who was probably a Section B. he was an amazing first pony, cheeky but brilliant on the road and not at all spooky. We sold him when she was 12 and her feet hung down by his knees. He always welcomed us with a whinny.:)