Section d conformation critique

geegee84

Visit site

Ladyinred

Visit site
TBH he looks very much like my Sec D's who sadly are not of show quality.

I hate to be so brutally honest and, at 3 he might well change.

geegee84

Visit site
Thanks for replying, I really don't mind the honesty, I don't want to waste money showing if he's not of that standard. He will be a ridden horse too so it's not the be all and end all :)

justabob

Visit site
He has sloping pasterns and is slightly cow hocked and his tail is too low set. Having said that I rather like him, think he would be better under saddle. But you have clearly taken the scissors to his mane, looks dreadful.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Taking him out and doing some inhand showing will be valuable education for him and should be fun for you both but I don't think he's going to be a worldbeater for reasons mentioned above.

You need to sort his mane out though, the scissor cut look won't do him any favours.

TuscanBunnyGirl

Visit site
Lovely shoulder, but for me, his neck is set on too low and his pasterns are quite sloped in comparison. Sorry, don't want to sound mean.

But..I think showing is really good for young horses to get them out and about seeing things and learning how to behave in that environment, so you should totally give it a go even if it's not for the competition.

cambrica

Visit site
It really depends where and why you want to show him.
If it's just to get him out and about for experience - then go for it. M&M, youngstock or best condition. If however you are thinking more along the lines of Welsh Cob showing i.e Bronze or silver medal shows you will struggle.
Remember he's a baby and still bum high. Give him a couple of years you may well have a nice show cob on your hands there! In the mean time take him to local shows and give it a go, no reason why not and that is what I have been doing with my Sec D for the last two years. Now he's going well with his backing so we have other things on our agenda!

Ladyinred

Visit site
Nice neck, slightly straight shoulder, but might be photo.

Don't despair, there are plenty of other things for him to be good at! And I am sure he will.. we can't all be beauty queens lol. I also rather like him and would also have bought him at the right price. Ours are all wonderful.. but not show horses.

To add.. one of mine has atrocious cow hocks, but she is the love of my life!

Last edited:

geegee84

Visit site
Thanks for you replies, if he was good enought I would have shown him serious but if not he will still have plenty to do and lots of love. I also have a section d filly who I did buy to show and with the intention of showing at a high level eventually, I will post some pictures so let me k ow what you think. She is only 16 months old so I know she will change a lot but if there's any obvious conformation faults please point them out :)

Pigeon

Visit site
He's a little weak behind, but at 3, he will change a lot.

I have a 5yo irish draught x, he has changed immensely in the last year, grown about a hand, filled out, and isn't bum-high anymore. The native types grow and change until they are seven.