Section d owners

Costypop

Visit site
Mines grown an hand and a half from the end of his second year to the begging of his 5th. Couldn't get measured in between because the idiot was scared of the measuring stick! He's gone up 3 rug sizes too and filled out loads

Nettle123

Visit site
A good hand and really filled out until he was 5. Costypop, the measuring stick made me laugh, my section D boy was a complete wuss too and still is 17 years later.

cambrica

Visit site
Completely depends on lines.

The more traditional ones ie nebo, derwen take until 7 to stop growing

There's hope for my Sec D yet then ;) He's from the Parc line - very traditional - and hasn't grown much at all!
I bought him almost two years ago and he is now 4. He's grown less than an inch and still stands at 14.2. He has filled out alot though! Maybe he will end up measuring 15hh when laying on his side :D

Spottyappy

Visit site
Mine grew from 14.2 to 15 HH between 5 years and 7 years, she is also traditional lines such as Nebo, Derwen and Llanarth. Still, probably, has some filling out to do, but has chunked up considerably this last year.

pennyturner

Visit site
This thread has made me very happy. I was standing by my welsh x hackney today. He's 7, and I swear he's grown an inch in the last year. I thought I was going bonkers.

Silvermiyazawa

Visit site
Thanks everyone, food for thought. I tried one yesterday, he's 13.3 and rather weedy at the mo. Very nicely put together though, very pretty and a total sweetie. Even if he doesn't get any taller he will definitely get wider so will give me a bit more to get my legs round! I'm off on a few day's holiday so time to think it over and not let heart rule head! Excited (and a bit scared!!).

Chunkie

Visit site
Bought my current one in January thus year, he was 5 in April. He's grown 2 inches since I bought him & now stands at 15.3.

My previous 2 (both mares) grew an inch and one rug size between 5 and 7.

Silvermiyazawa

Visit site
Thanks again for the replies. I am still pondering the little chap I tried. At 10 stone and 5.6 am I too big for a 13.3 3.5 yr old D. I know he has growing and filling out to do but I don't want to squash that out of him! Eta, I aim to lose weight and my ideal is about 9 stone.

He also occasionally carries his tail very slightly to one side, I googled this and got the typical mixed information that tells you precisely nothing. I would get him vetted but would rather save myself the vetting fee if he is a no no to begin with. This is a much harder decision than it was 24 years ago when I bought my last horse!

iCandy

Visit site
Mines 4 and am hoping he fills out and grows a bit more as I've changed his rugs to PE ones and they are so deep that they're now too big. Eeek!

xRobyn

Visit site
Silvermiyazawa, I'm 5'7 and 10 1/2 stone and I'd ride that horse once he was a bit older.

My boy is Derwen lines and was 15hh at 18 months. Only grow another inch but boy did he fill out!

LittleGinger

Visit site
I was about to say that Ginger must have been a late developer as he was 7 when he 'grew up' (both physically and mentally!). Then I saw this:

The more traditional ones ie nebo, derwen take until 7 to stop growing

And now it makes sense! He's from Nebo (on both sides... and on both sides of most horses in his family tree too...).

Silvermiyazawa

Visit site
I have two Maesmynach mares. My 8 year old didn't stop growing till she was 6. She is 16.1. My three year old is already nearly as big.

Blimey, I'd like him to grow but not that much!

I have a tiny friend with an 18hh that she bought young and just kept growing (not a D :D)

Madali

Visit site
They still ride like ponies. I must admit I am panicking about the 3 year old but I think she will fill out rather than grow any taller. They are quite sporty rather than traditional

Silvermiyazawa

Visit site
Silvermiyazawa, I'm 5'7 and 10 1/2 stone and I'd ride that horse once he was a bit older.

My boy is Derwen lines and was 15hh at 18 months. Only grow another inch but boy did he fill out!

Good point, I don't have to ride him straight away. He'd come to no harm being turned away.

Charmel

Visit site
My Section D went from a weedy 14.1 at almost 3 to a very chunky 15.3 at 7. Glad I went with my heart and not my head, as thought of selling him as worried he was not going to grow enough for me to ever ride him, but wasn't an issue just had to wait. I didnt have him broken in till he was 4 1/2 waited for him to grow....Cobs are babies mentally and physically till 7ish in my opinion.

xRobyn

Visit site
Good point, I don't have to ride him straight away. He'd come to no harm being turned away.

Mine didn't start to mature mentally until 8. He went from this at 18 months:
22457_269755662326_1563436_n.jpg

To this
391684_10151033809152327_1127112815_n.jpg

But no difference in height!

Annagain

Visit site
Mine didn't start to mature mentally until 8.

Mine was 17!

He was 14.1 on tiptoes and I'm 5'6". (I was only 5'2" when I got him when we were both 13). But I'm quite short in the leg and he was wide enough to take it up so my legs didn't look too long on him. I did look a bit perched on top though as I have a long body! I was a bit tall for him really but he was plenty strong enough and loved his job right up until the end. He was 27 when he died very unexpectedly from colic.

We were both 25 in this pic
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz49/annalmiller/Ebony/badminton2jpg-1.jpg

Last edited: