secure/ attached water buckets any ideas?

V1NN

Visit site
my rising 2yr old has just started a very annoying habbit of picking up his water trug, and spilling it all over his stable and then proceding to throw it out of the stable into the field (it blows quite far away some nights) at first i thought it was funny but now its really starting to annoy me. i am going to buy him a space hopper and see if he'll maybe throw that about instead and he has a huge stable with all the expensive horse toys that he never uses, he is turned out from 7.30 till 5pm ish. was thinking about nailing the bucket to the wall but was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas on were i might get a bucket that has a frame or something to be attached to the wall with. thanks in advance
smile.gif
x

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
I have two lovely ones which I bought at Your Horse Live a few years back , think they have the name Young Line on them but can't seem to find where to buy anymore and have a yearling with the same problem as you. These have a back plate which bolts to the wall then the bucket which is flat on one side attaches. Wish I could find more of them

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
you can buy flat sided buckets with a clip like on a leadrope to attach to wall!! unfortunately the determined can still tip then up! you can get bucket frame like holders but they would give me heebee geebees with a youngster cos once they have the bucket out they could get a leg caught in the frame! have you tried putting a bucket in a pile of tyres? that could be a very good game.....................

supagran

Visit site
One of ours also seems to think its fun to throw buckets round the stable, so I got a tub trug type bucket (actually paid £3 from Asda!) and then got two carabiners from an outdoor shop, which are attached either side of the corner of the box with strong baler twine. The bucket hangs on the carabiners, and it has never been thrown round since.

V1NN

Visit site
ooh some of these ideas are very good carthorse your thing sounds very good shame you cant maybe get them anymore
frown.gif
boo lol. ofcourseyoucan now that you have said that you sre probably right i'd just be worried the wee bugger got himself stuck in the frame. its more annoying as i dont always do him mornings and i hate other people having to more work for me, he never seems really thirsty so i rekon he is doing it later on towards turnout time aaaaaah! lol x

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
This is sometimes what happens when you give them other toys to play with - they think everything is a game and cleaning out new bedding because they have soaked it is not a joke!
I use the strong flat sided buckets as mentioned before, you can get them from Robinsons (or anywhere else that stocks Stubbs' stuff) and you need the leadrope hooks that are on a plate; four screws onto the wall and job done. Youngsters have never been able to shift them especially if you put them near the corner so there are two walls to balance it against; you also want it at your waist height then it's too high for them to get feet in and not too high for you to fill up. This was the only solution that worked for the loads of youngsters I've had here and some of them have been up nearly 20 years now!

mainpower

Visit site
I just have an "eye hook" fixed to the wall, then a carabina clip from the tub trug handle clipped to the eye, so the bucket is on the floor but can't be dragged about or picked up.

Persephone

Visit site
I have a tie ring on the wall at bucket level. Then a piece of baler twine attached to a Karabiner (just in case!) Then clip my Stubbs bucket to the Karabiner.

Just another note, if you do the same thing for your haynets, it's really easy to pull the nets up and the baling twine doesn't wear, so you are less likely to land on your ass because the string has broken
smile.gif