Sedalin and riding

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Hey all,

My horse who has had pretty much had a rubbish year, ulcers, lameness (OCD) and liver issues is finally getting sound enough to start schooling, yay! However due to his previous explosive episodes (please see previous posts) I am completely terrified of riding him in the school, due to previously spending a lot of time making friends with the sand! He is a saint out hacking and oddly enough I'm not panicky about that (even when a large articulated lorry passes you within touching distance!)
Sorry I'll get to the point.
I cannot relax whilst riding in the school so my horse I'm sure picks up on this becomes tense, head shaking and general threatening to have me off.
Whilst riding him during his work up for lameness I chicken out and had the vet give him some ACP, So no silliness just a horse showing his current ability.
My question is do I use a little sedalin to ride (1ml to start with a view of using less if possible) just to get myself over the initial stupid behaviour or do I man up and just ride him through it. I'm worried that I won't be able to wean him off it once I start using it.
Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
ACP is an unpredictable drug, I was advised against using it when the weather is hot because it is a vascular dilator. Why not just ask tell your vet the problem and I am sure he/she will suggest something suitable.

Wheels

Visit site
Sounds like it is you that needs the calmer rather than the horse lol

If he's usually ok with hacking then I'd start with that or if you have to ride in the school then lead or do some groundwork first and get on once he's settled

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Can you take him for a hack so that you are both relaxed and finish with one circuit of the school before you dismount? If you get it all set up before you set off, so that you can just come back and go straight into the school, you should be fine. Then you can build up from there.
Good luck!

Orangehorse

Visit site
1. Ask for vet for something.
2. Take him for a hack and then finish off with some schooling, and then a complete relaxing walk around and lots of pats so he gets to associate it with having a pleasant time.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
Due to the restrictions on his exercise plan I would need to check about lunging prior to ridden work. He is pretty much a little saint to lunge in the school, so it must be the addition of my tension adding to his under saddle behaviour.
I think I may just start riding him in the field as I'm pretty relaxed out there! I know what you are thinking why am I chilled out about riding in open spaces, but freaking out in a school! I'm just weird.
I will get something for me as I'm sure it is all in my head!
The vet has given me the sedalin to give for ridden work.
I just really want the best for him so I am just trying to follow to vet and physio's word to the letter.

Nicnac

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't risk riding a horse that has been effectively doped. How about Magic calmer syringes for the horse and rescue remedy for you!

Auslander

Visit site
Speaking form direct experience here - please don't. I was, as part of my job, asked to ride a loopy youngster after he'd been on box rest for weeks. "Don't worry" they said "we'll give him some ACP". One minute I was wandering round the school on a nice calm horse, the next I was underneath him on the floor. Apparently he flipped his lid, fell over because his legs were a bit wobbly, and then couldn't get up properly because he was doped. I know loads of people who ride doped horses as a matter of course and never have a problem, but having experienced what happens when it goes wrong, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

showpony

Visit site
How about you just hack out and then get someone more confident to ride him in the arena for you for first while? ? Lots of people ( myself included) are visual and perhaps seeing him behaving with someone else in the saddle will help your nerves in the arena.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Might just be time to down the rescue remedy by the bottle load and crack on! Don't worry I'll pop the air jack on so I can bounce!
I do like the idea of getting an experience rider to pop on, but I'm not sure how many people want to ride him. If someone said I'll give you £50 to ride a horse that might have you on the floor, I think I would give it a miss!!
Thanks for the heads up on magic, I've tried the powder but it didn't change his behaviour so I wonder if the liquid would be different.
Thanks all

MagicMelon

Visit site
Personally I really don't think its acceptable to sedate your horse just because you yourself are nervous... Why don't you get someone else to ride the horse in the school a few times and see how the horse is with them? They might be brave enough to sit through whatever the horse is doing to try and get you off which may get it over its habit and give you confidence when you see it beginning to behave.

Fides

Visit site
I don't think it is particularly ethical to sedate a horse because you are nervous. Riding is supposed to be a pleasure, could you not find a horse more suitable? Your horse can't be happy either :(

mtj

Visit site
Have to agree with the advice to consult your vet.

I've also seen a dramatic Acp response. In this case my dog who the vet was attempting to X-ray without anaesthesia. I was present as it was an emergency after hours admission. The dog went from being flat out on his side, and appearing to be heavily sedated, to suddenly leaping up and looking very active. Now wouldn't trust Acp for riding or clipping.

Good luck with the re hab

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Sorry if I have appeared rude, but to be able to get access to sedalin I have had to speak to my vet. With the year I've had with my horse no part of his management or exercise plan is changed without consulting the vet.
Thank you for the advice

dominobrown

Visit site
The problem with Sedalin is that (as a few others have said) you will still get explosive episodes, which is what you are nervous of, but you probably get an explosive horse, which will give you no 'warning' and when he does explode will be uncoordinated too. Which probably means you will be far more nervous.
I would ride it for a fee, and your best bet for some experienced is a jockey type person as they are generally good at sitting nutters! Good luck :)

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Thanks domino, feel free to come and sit in him. He will probably be a little gem!!
I'm just trying to find someone locally who will come and sit on him.
Thanks everyone for your advice

old hand

Visit site
It says on sedalin - do not ride for 36 hours - they also wake up completely if there are loud noises or stressed, so it won't do the job. the horse's behaviour could well be triggered by some of the problems he has had. I would give valerian and lunge first, if not supposed to lunge I use 30m lunge line and just walk until I assess how the horse is temperament wise. then just walk to start with with no turns try to ride a loop at the end of the school and don't go in the corners. If the behaviour reappears reassess as it is likely to be pain based. Have had experience of hundreds of horses over the years and have never met one with explosive behaviour that was not in considerable pain. Even if it was put down to behaviour the real problem always reared its ugly head quite quickly after the horse was " sorted " by someone who could stick a rodeo bull and it did a decent level of work. thermal image might be helpful as it will show any hot spots caused by the horse holding its frame to avoid the pain of its previous problems. If you are frightened don't ride it follow your gut feeling.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Thanks very much for your help. I got a pro to come and ride him. He went really well, no nasty behaviour just a little nap. After the once over from the chiro/physio his saddle is too narrow.
In regards to the behaviour, I think it's party learnt behaviour from pain, partly separation anxiety & partly hot headed behaviour.
Hoping he will grow out of it soon!

dominobrown

Visit site
Thanks very much for your help. I got a pro to come and ride him. He went really well, no nasty behaviour just a little nap. After the once over from the chiro/physio his saddle is too narrow.
In regards to the behaviour, I think it's party learnt behaviour from pain, partly separation anxiety & partly hot headed behaviour.
Hoping he will grow out of it soon!

Good news! And at least you have found an answer to the problem, not just masked it. :)

nuttychestnut

Visit site
He's pretty much teaching my all then time!
Plus I'm currently keeping the local horse trade providers in very good business!
However following on from the explosive behaviour I have pretty much narrowed it down to wanting to get back to his heard, because as soon as he sees/hears then he leaps or rears to be able to get to then. Just need to get him to quit this and he would be pretty much perfect!
Another 1 hour call to the trainers yard I think, plus time to send him away for a little more training.
Thanks again

Fides

Visit site
Plus I'm currently keeping the local horse trade providers in very good business!
However following on from the explosive behaviour I have pretty much narrowed it down to wanting to get back to his heard, because as soon as he sees/hears then he leaps or rears to be able to get to then. Just need to get him to quit this and he would be pretty much perfect!
Another 1 hour call to the trainers yard I think, plus time to send him away for a little more training.
Thanks again

Or because his saddle was pinching him and he was in pain. You may find that now you have a saddle he is comfortable in this behaviour will stop :)

Wheels

Visit site
Thanks again

I would be working on this separation anxiety from the ground first - he is not with his herd but he is with you and that should suffice!! Work on him wanting to be with you and working with you on the ground then transfer it to the saddle. I would be finding a groundwork expert who also does riding lessons - some one like an Intelligent Horsemanship RA or similar

If you send him away then he may well be worse when he gets back - they can become even more attached if they have been taken away for longer periods.

Wheels

Visit site
Or because his saddle was pinching him and he was in pain. You may find that now you have a saddle he is comfortable in this behaviour will stop :)

Agree with this too - I would say this was at least heavily adding to your other issues - maybe he wanted his friends so badly because whenever he was with you he was getting pinched??