Sedalin- the max amount?

Marbs

community.webshots.com
I'd check with your vet, but was told by mine I could safely give the horse it was needed for (about 16hh) up to three tubes (although never got that far as the stuff didn't touch him at all!)

seabiscuit

Visit site
2 to 3 whole tubes?? Really! Good god! it is to pull a mane...vet reccomended 2ml but did not make the slightest bit of difference! No wonder if it is 2 to 3 tubes that you need (which must be about 45ml then I guess?)

merlinsquest

Visit site
should say in the instructions in the box.

I think i read though that the more you give the longer it lasts not the deeper the sedation!!

I am probably completely wrong though!!
tongue.gif

Sal_E

Visit site
You can use a bit more than suggested but would never use 2 or 3 tubes of it! It won't just keep getting more effective the more you use though, so wouldn't waste your money trying to triple up (or whatever). I would also be wary of using too much on a gelding for the obvious problem with the dangly bits...

ETS: in a nutshell, probably best to ask your vet!

dwi

Visit site
My 15.2 mare had a whole tube when we last tried loading her which is twice the recommended amount for her weight and she was almost falling over in her stable but it seemed to wear off as soon as she saw the trailer.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Thanks people for the tips....
Dwi that is what seemed to happen with my new boy, he looked sedated as he was standing there hanging his head, but as soon as I came near him with the mane comb- he sprang to life and freaked out!

So the general consenseus is that Sedalin is a useless bit of junk then??

Skhosu

Visit site
I gave mine 2 tubes in an attempt to pull his mane. He just became very out of it, but big and bargy.
Vet told me two tubes I think (was a good while ago now!)

Marbs

community.webshots.com
Used two tubes for mine when it didn't touch him. It was for clipping around the front of him. Made him look sedated, but that was the extent of it. I can think of one horse to date that it's worked a little bit, but the horse wasn't really a problem to start with.

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So the general consenseus is that Sedalin is a useless bit of junk then??

[/ QUOTE ]

I used it on my boy when on box rest and I had to walk him out quietly (
shocked.gif
), I gave it to him a hour before the walk at 5mls and it worked a treat, but then he is a sensible chap anyway, this just took the edge off him during the walks out!

P.S He's happily settled in at his new place near you, I'll be over Friday to visit him if you are around and want to say hello!

emmajanerushton

community.webshots.com
To be honest you shouldnt use alot, if its not going to work for your horse the more you give wqill prolong the effect not deepen it, for some its just enough, but to be honest i would never give more than a tube, before sedalin had a lockable syring like wormers i overdosed a small pony ( slipped) and we clipped her on the floor while she was snoring poor bugger, but with very nervous horses you may just have to face that the IV sedation from the vets is a much better and kinder option for the horse as they are taken to a different level and dont jump about like they still can on sedalin.

Skhosu

Visit site
iv would be good...if mine tolerated injections!
I have to say I have never used it since seeing the effect it had, he ust didn't know what he was doing and I would have thought it would be quite scary for him.
I am now using clicker training, although admittedly he has a mane to his knees!

Twigben

Visit site
I gave my mare a tube once (10ml) at the advice of a vet - she was 16hh TB and what a mistake, she was so bad, sweating trembling and unable to stand without shaking, she had a really bad reaction to it - another vet (i changed vets) said that that was far too much and advised 5ml max in small increments - he said that if sedalin is going to work on a horse it will do so at a low dose and the more you give doesnt mean the more it will work - i guess thats why they give it to you to dose them rather than the vets to administer!?

Just thought i would warn you of its side effects - i wont use it again - have a look at the instructions and the side effects will scare you !!

nomini

Visit site
Gave my 16.2 mare half a tube for clipping, was very dopey in her stable, turned the clippers on and she came right back to life, so had no effect on her at all! Had to get the vet to sedate her properly! She lets me do front half up to the head, but not the belly or hindquarters!!

seabiscuit

Visit site
Thank you guys- most helpfull information- will have to have a think about all this!

Burtie-How fab he is settling in well-this Friday I am working all day and evening (groan) but drop me a bell next time you are around! If not I will have to pop down and give him a polo!!

SusieJane

Visit site
I've always thought it was 1ml per 100kg bodyweight? but might be wrong ~ will look it up.

Also, its not always good on native types especially Welsh, and TB types

and as you put it....it's shite!