Sedation for Box Rest - Sedalin?

Knavesgreen

Visit site
My horse is on box rest for 6-12 weeks for the second time this year. He doesn't cope well after a few days so I have no choice but to use sedation or calmers. As I'm sure most of you know some calmers work with some horses and not with others but Sedalin Gel does work for him even in low doses if given orally under his tongue. Has anyone got any experience of using Sedalin long term? I can't find any information as to whether there are any long term side effects or anything else which might work? I have also just found a new product called ProKalm which I've ordered to try. Any advice on <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font> calming excitable boxed horses please?????

loopylucifer

Visit site
Mine has been on ACP tablets since end of May (is on box rest) she started on 7 twice a day but we are now down to just 2 or 3 when ridden. The gel in quite expensive so tablets are a better option

Helena88

Visit site
my horse was put on sedalin when he was to be box rested for a long period of time. i have to say it had some effect on him but didnt stop him box walking/weaving, in the end i had him pts as the prognosis was so poor i didnt feel it waranted the amount of box rest he'd have to go through. he hated being stabled.

Knavesgreen

Visit site
Thanks for that both. Do you know how much the ACP tablets are? and how many do they need to have to give the same effect as each ml of the sedalin??

NELSON11

Visit site
You may think this sounds crazy but we have found and our vets have found that after using sedalin for a while and then pretending to sedate with the empty tube under the tongue has a calming effect on some box rested horses. Call it the placebo effect or whatever but it has shown to work.

loopylucifer

Visit site
Cant rember how much for bottle of tablets normally get 250 at one time but a tube is £15/20 and this only did two days! when she had 4mls of sedlin she had 8 tablets instead and when 3mls ahe had 6 tablets if that makes sense.

Knavesgreen

Visit site
Excellent advice - thank you. I will def try the placebo effect after a few days as sedalin is costing me £14 a tube, but amazingly I'm getting away with using 1ml twice a day! so a tube lasts 5 days. So far so good, but we're only in week 2 of 6!

MissiMoo

Visit site
I think that maybe using Valarian powder may help, as I believe that long term they buid up a resistence to Sedlin. I have a horse that has been on box rest for 4 months, 2 of those months she was cross tyed. valarian seems to have helped, but it may not work for everyone????