Sedation question

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Just a quick question ...

Shire being sedated by vet at 8am tomorrow ready for clipping. He will be coming in for his brekkies around 7am, is it safe to feed prior to sedation ?

Jemayni

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why starve before sedation?? I say keep him in his routine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think sedalin & acp work better on an empty stomach (according to the YO.) But it shouldnt make a difference if it is being injected.

Theresa_F

Visit site
He should be fine for a general sedation being fed an hour before.

Mine have always had access to hay right up to being sedated. I leave them without food afterwards until they are awake and more or less back to normal - ie after an hour or so.

It would be different if he was having a GA, but then he would normally be at the vet in advance.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Vet has phoned and said pref dont feed for an hour or two beforehand. Drug will either be Domesedan or Sedivet.

spaniel

Visit site
Sedation slows down all the bodily functions so using it on a full digestive system may result in impaction. There is also a chance of choke when feeding hay. I never feed before sedation and also leave a good few hours after they have 'come round' before feeding hay or bucket feed.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Thanks for that Spaniel. He eats 4 giant haylage nets during the day. Im glad you told me that, poor ponio will have to starve for a few hours afterwards now
frown.gif

Have to say, Im quite anxious about the sedation. Hope vet gets quantities right
shocked.gif

icemaiden113

Visit site
You can feed right up to and after sedation, it makes no difference as to strength etc as it is straight in to the blood. You just have to watch out as reactions are slower but mine eat when sedated with no probs!

Llwyncwn

Visit site
All done now. Poor starving little pony tucked into his net about an hour and a half after vet went. Looks very smart too with his new haircut. Will post piccys later as soon as OH downloads them!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Look forward to seeing them.

Luckily our clydie is good to clip - something that size not co-operating is not fun.

We have to be very careful with Cairo when sedating - he may be a big boy but he only needs the amount of a small pony - hence big notices by his stable to only administer tiny amounts in an emergency.