Seeing A Stirde

SpringArising

Visit site
It comes with practice and time.

There's no magic formula unless you know the distance between fences and count in-between.

One day you'll just know when to wait and when to push for take-off. Small fences will help to practice over. Personally, if you don't know what a good jumping canter is or how to see a stride then I wouldn't be worrying about big jumps.

Build up slowly!

alinni1336

Visit site
That is why I asked in your opinion what is a good jumping canter. I have no problems with my bigger jumps but I am one of those riders who stresses when I don't see a stride so I just wanted some tips as to what others do. Thank-you.

hcm88

Visit site
You want an active canter with impulsion not speed. I recommend getting lessons from a good instructor if you aren't sure what you're looking for. If you have the good canter the fence is just an obstacle in the way of you cantering from one end of the school to the other, lets say. Treat it as if the fence isn't there, just keep your canter and rhythm and let the fence come to you. Practice over smaller fences and count the strides in, once you're getting it right then extend the distance you count from until you can turn a corner and know how many strides out you are (this is the ideal but its uncommon to be able to count from so far!). Its just a case of getting used to it. But practice is key, over smaller fences, adjust your canter and have a play to see what works, and get an instructor to help you see what you're aiming for.

Theocat

Visit site
Make sure you have a lively, bouncy, forward canter that isn't rushed, and your horse is listening to you. Give them plenty of space and clear direction about what you're aiming for, and let the horse sort out the stride.

As Goldenstar said, if you ever approach a fence and realises it's all going hideously wrong, you know you're seeing a stride ( and have just realised it's wrong :p )