Seeking the best dog-proof bin

Overread

www.flickr.com
The title pretty much says it all. We don't have bin in the cupboard so its got to be a free standing bin suitable to hold such delicious interesting things to canines as chicken bones, meat, old socks and whatever the heck that gross thing we found under the couch once was.

We've got older bins that are semi-dog proof, but they only remain so so long as said dog does not realise that the top falls off if you hit it hard enough.

Anyone got any practical suggestions?

Annette4

Visit site
I ended up with out bin inside an old crate at one point with Fizz. Dobby hasn’t been able to work out it simply being turned around :lol:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Just a traditional metal or plastic bin with a bungee running between side handles, and through the lid, to strap it down?#

My mum has one with a sort of touchpad lid on the top, if that makes any sense, I will ask where she got it.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
We bought a "bin in the cupboard kit" from Ikea. It meant sacrificing 1 under counter cupboard but it has made so much difference. It sits on rails which are screwed to the cupboard floor, so you open cupboard door and just pull the bin out, magic!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Lévrier;13786269 said:
I just had to google that, I hate it when people use words I don’t understand :D :D

Millie has dewclaws too, they are such a pest..... ;)

His eating is not limited to food items so I think it's the most accurate word. :p The Great Salmon Oil Incident of 2013 still haunts my dreams occasionally, and he's missing a tooth on account of other various incidents along the way.

He can even open rounded doorknobs with his creepy thumbs. :D

pippixox

Visit site
I have sacrificed a kitchen cupboard. Luckily they haven’t tried to open it and are mostly shut out of the kitchen with a dog gate.

My friends 2 small dogs literally have an open bag of food on their kitchen floor but don’t touch it! If I bring my dogs in they are straight to it. Can’t blame them really 😛

I did know a dog who was fond of opening the oven as it was a pull down handle.

A single metal horse feed bin with lock I agree would technically be the best and could even be in the garden for space saving. The dog feed bins in pet shops look pathetic for any dog who is a foodie with half a brain.

Pretty sure my collie can undo zips.... a creme egg disappeared from my husbands back pack one night, and for once it wasn’t me pinching in

SallyBatty

Visit site
Pretty sure my collie can undo zips.... a creme egg disappeared from my husbands back pack one night, and for once it wasn’t me pinching in

Many years ago, my old border collie (when a youngster) managed to open a cellophane wrapped box of chocolates, ate all the chocolates inside and then shut the box back up still in pristine condition while me and my husband (who had bought me the chocs back on his return from a rugby trip) went out for the evening!

Overread

www.flickr.com
Thanks for the ideas all (and sorry for the very slow reply).

So far the old bin is standing tall and proud, although I put that down to it being to big and mysterious to have yet caught his attention and capacity to knock over. Sadly it sounds like the most viable choice (putting the bin in a cupboard) might be the only option (putting it outside in another area wouldn't really work) though with an already overstuffed kitchen we'll have to risk it with our standing bins.

And just cross our fingers that this terror
42834849121_bd7cb57879_z.jpg

doesn't work out bins too fast !

planete

Visit site
I have a small bin on the kitchen top which gets emptied into the outside bin as needed. This will only work if the dog does not jump on the kitchen tops of course.

chaps89

Visit site
I don't have a dog atm but did previously have a very scavenging obsessed Dalmatian. Our only option was a pull out bin under the kitchen cupboard. However, we currently have one of these and I think it would be fairly dog proof- the lids are flush so no chance of a nose/paw managing to lift them and as it's pretty big and sturdy I'd be surprised if a dog could knock it over. If you have a small kitchen though it may not work as it is quite sizeable! http://www.dunelm.com/product/dunelm-recycle-bin-30-30l-copper-1000114940

He/she is very cute OP!