Seizure?

JBM

Visit site
Hi!
I think my horse had a seizure today? After being ridden she was put in the arena to walk around and she rolled and then she lay down flat for two minutes and then her back legs starting kicking and her eyes were looking down. I walked her around afterwards and she seemed fine apart from being a bit stiff on the back legs but she usually is as she is 20. We did hand grazing and she ate fine and I called the vet and they just said to watch her for the next few days. Anyone else experienced this? Never happened before

SEL

Visit site
My friend sadly had her OAP put down last year after a seizure. He had cushings and the vet believed it could have been related. It probably wasn't his first because she'd found him a few weeks before with some damaged fencing, cuts and bruises and couldn't work out what had happened - but she saw this one and given his grand old age made a tough call.

Did your vet think it sounded like a seizure?

Reactions: JBM

JBM

Visit site
My friend sadly had her OAP put down last year after a seizure. He had cushings and the vet believed it could have been related. It probably wasn't his first because she'd found him a few weeks before with some damaged fencing, cuts and bruises and couldn't work out what had happened - but she saw this one and given his grand old age made a tough call.

Did your vet think it sounded like a seizure?
Vet wasn’t 100% sure but said if she back to normal and nothing else happens she should be grand. Said it could’ve colic but I said didn’t seem like it and he said could’ve been something to do with her heart..was a bit worried as she hit her head a wee wack about 2 days ago

southerncomfort

Visit site
Hi Katie,

My old mare had full seizures and what you describe sounds very like what I witnessed.

It was as if she knew it was coming. She'd take herself off to a quiet part of the field and slowly collapse on to her side. Her eyes would be closed and she'd start paddling with all 4 legs.

Afterwards she'd be tired and a little confused but recovered fairly quickly.

Before i saw her fitting, I'd notice her bed being in a right state in the morning with shavings all up the walls, so that can be another sign that something is going on.

Fingers crossed this was a one off, but if it happens again do try and take some video that you can send to your vet. Running bloods is a good idea too.

I hope you're OK because I know it can be a bit upsetting to witness.

JBM

Visit site
Hi Katie,

My old mare had full seizures and what you describe sounds very like what I witnessed.

It was as if she knew it was coming. She'd take herself off to a quiet part of the field and slowly collapse on to her side. Her eyes would be closed and she'd start paddling with all 4 legs.

Before i saw her fitting, I'd notice her bed being in a right state in the morning with shavings all up the walls, so that can be another sign that something is going on.

Fingers crossed this was a one off, but if it happens again do try and take some video that you can send to your vet. Running bloods is a good idea too.

Thank you thats very helpful ☺️ Judy was quite tired after was nearly nodding a sleep as she ate her dinner. Unfortunately Judys bed is always messy as that’s just her but I’ll definitely keep an eye out heard recording was a good idea. Yes getting her bloods done on the 4th when vets open again. When it happened tho my friend was with her cuz I was at work so nearly scared her off horses all together ?

JBM

Visit site
Hi Katie,

Do you know why she was having seizures?

southerncomfort

Visit site
Do you know why she was having seizures?

Well she was quite old at 26 so the vets didn't think it was appropriate to put her through lots of invasive tests, but they ran bloods to check it wasn't related to liver failure or anything like that. All bloods came back clear so they said, given her age, that a brain tumour was the most likely cause.

Sadly their is no treatment and her seizures were getting worse so we had her PTS.

In Judy's case I would wonder if she's come in to contact with something that's affected her liver. Certainly that would show up in her blood test results and is usually treatable so try not to worry too much.

JBM

Visit site
Well she was quite old at 26 so the vets didn't think it was appropriate to put her through lots of invasive tests, but they ran bloods to check it wasn't related to liver failure or anything like that. All bloods came back clear so they said, given her age, that a brain tumour was the most likely cause.

Sadly their is no treatment and her seizures were getting worse so we had her PTS.

In Judy's case I would wonder if she's come in to contact with something that's affected her liver. Certainly that would show up in her blood test results and is usually treatable so try not to worry too much.
Okie thank you very much for all the info is helpful to hear from someone who knows about this first hand. Sorry about your mare.

GreyMane

Visit site
has Judy ever done any target training? Found this the other day, "Don't break your vet" ?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Good luck !

JBM

Visit site
has Judy ever done any target training? Found this the other day, "Don't break your vet" ?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Good luck !
Judy is actually very good with confident vets..but she sees any hesitation at all and she basically tells the vet to F off ? she’s a bright personality in her old age
I might try that tho! But she seems more scared than being bad

southerncomfort

Visit site
Judy is actually very good with confident vets..but she sees any hesitation at all and she basically tells the vet to F off ? she’s a bright personality in her old age
I might try that tho! But she seems more scared than being bad

Fingers crossed you have a better outcome today.

My mini shetland is terrified of vets, it makes everything quite hard work!

JBM

Visit site
Fingers crossed you have a better outcome today.

My mini shetland is terrified of vets, it makes everything quite hard work!
I would prefer the mini to be honest! Judy is 16hh and nearly had me and the vet squished into the wall multiple times ? hopefully we can get it done tho..I’m also terrified of needles so I can’t really say much tho ?

JBM

Visit site
just an update for anyone who wants to know Judy had low red blood cell count and a bit of a liver problem so she’s going on a liver flush and ironxcell for 10 days and should make her feel much better!
vet said that explained the seizure too! Happy to get back to riding soon and knowing that she’s okie☺️