Seizures in 16.2hh 14y/o!?!? Help please?!?

Visit site
Toby is a 14year old 16.2hh cob cross with Anglo Arab in him
He has there seizures he had them last year and hadn’t had them since them until a few days ago
They start by his nose twitching and he tosses his head then he starts struggling to stand up his eyes roll back in his head and he opens his mouth and it starts to froth he turns his head round his his should ( mouth still open and frothy)
He starts spinning in circles like a riening horse would do
Additional info :
He went blind a few years ago when he got a worker he was allergic to but he got his vision back afterwards

Visit site
They say to get a video of him
But I don’t usuualy carry my phone into the feild and and every time I have tried to video him he doesn’t have a seizure

Frumpoon

Visit site
My horse has had very occasional full on seizures but more often a kind of petit mal

Since there is very little treatment I haven't investigated other than to get a video sent to a neurologist

Caracarrie

Visit site
My mare was epileptic. She would have a seizure on day 1 of her season, and then on the 10th day after that, like clockwork. When you say Cob x, is that Welsh cob? She was successfully drug controlled for 15 years and was eventually put down at rising 30 due to advanced arthritis. Apart from the first couple of months while her body was getting used to the medication, she led a normal life, and was ridden regularly, went to shows including WH classes and enjoyed eyewateringly fast gallops. Feel free to ask questions, I have quite alot of information that I'm happy to pass on.

Visit site
Thank you sorry it took me so long to find this - he hasn’t had one since I posted but they come around in cold winter and hot summer - my mum has stop
Ed riding him in case he has another but me and my little sister often just sit on him bareback if he is stood eating - also his dad was a black irish cob so Anglo x irish cob .. happy for any info you have just would like to know he’s ok. Thank you

Caracarrie

Visit site
Thank you sorry it took me so long to find this - he hasn’t had one since I posted but they come around in cold winter and hot summer - my mum has stop
Ed riding him in case he has another but me and my little sister often just sit on him bareback if he is stood eating - also his dad was a black irish cob so Anglo x irish cob .. happy for any info you have just would like to know he’s ok. Thank you

He is just the age to start seizures, most start between 11 and 14. It is very likely he has inherited the tendancy through his Anglo Arab blood. All my studies have shown that the most common breed to have such seizures is Welsh (all classes) and in second place is Arabs. Of course, there is Arab blood in Welshies. I would suggest you ask the vet to give him a full neurological work-up. Is there a common factor when the seizures occur eg. time of day, what he was doing? Don't give him ivermectin wormer, it is known to cause problems and don't give him sedatives such as ACP as this lowers the seizure threshold.

Maxigirl

New User
Visit site
He is just the age to start seizures, most start between 11 and 14. It is very likely he has inherited the tendancy through his Anglo Arab blood. All my studies have shown that the most common breed to have such seizures is Welsh (all classes) and in second place is Arabs. Of course, there is Arab blood in Welshies. I would suggest you ask the vet to give him a full neurological work-up. Is there a common factor when the seizures occur eg. time of day, what he was doing? Don't give him ivermectin wormer, it is known to cause problems and don't give him sedatives such as ACP as this lowers the seizure threshold.
I have a Welsh Cob cross, He's 11 years old and started having seizures two days after a dental float (tranquilized) He has had three more approx three weeks apart. Wondering what drug your Welsh was on until 30 years old?