self drive horsebox hire

macster

New User
Visit site
I am thinking about setting a self drive 3.5tonne horsebox hire service in the yorkshire and humberside area. Do you feel there is a need for horseboxhire in this area ? How popular do you think this service is across the horsebox community?

Venevidivici

Visit site
There are very,very few places to hire either driven or self-drive horse transport in the S.Yorks area,ime. Have found it extremely frustrating in the past,as loads of companies do it further south/down south but hardly any up here. Of those that do,some don't seem that bothered about getting the business and few have 7.5tonners in action (I realise this is more costly etc but essential if you're travelling more than one or a biggie/bad traveller.)

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
There was a firm going in Barnard Castle, cannot remember the name of it, but not sure what happened to it. Haven't seen the van for quite a while now.

TheCurlyPony

Visit site
Hi I'm from the York area and I think this would be a great idea. We have no one around us who offers this at a reasonable rate or that are nearish to me. I think a selling point for you could be to offer, in part of the service to deliver the box to the person who wants to hire it. Imho having to drive the day before to collect a box for the following day use, puts me off hiring.

Izzwizz

Visit site
Great idea and also agree about the drop off bit. Keeping the price reasonable too would be a big plus point and encourage more bookings. If you do go ahead then please base yourself near to Huddersfield ;)

HardySoul1

Visit site
I have own 7.5 t lorry so not likely customer at present.
However not sure whether the lack of companies offering the service is became it doesn't pay? High demand at weekends for competitions, much less in week except occasional vet visits?
Agree that drop off attractive, but to be realistic suggest this be an optional extra for fee. How would delivery driver get home?
Parklands near Sheffield started box hire recently, might be worth checking out their prices and terms for comparison?

Cavalier

Visit site
I think Hooves at Birkenshaw have a small box they hire out. They certainly used to. It may be worth checking to see if they have a web site and how much they charge.

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
I think Hooves at Birkenshaw have a small box they hire out. They certainly used to. It may be worth checking to see if they have a web site and how much they charge.

I looked at the Hooves box last year and it was pretty reasonable - about £100 for a day (iirc 24 hours). They were booked for the date I looked at and have heard on the grape vine they are regularly booked out months in advance, so in this area, seems to be some call for the self drive option. I personally would prefer self drive rather than driver hire, but that's mostly because I prefer to do things on my own (yes, I'm a miserable old bat and proud of it :p:D!!)

oh, here's their website - http://www.hoovesonthemove.com/

Last edited:

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I think Equitrek do this, but their customer service leaves something to be desired, well it did in August 2012, so hired from County in Lancashire!

TommisMum

Visit site
Equitrek do -so coverage for huddersfield and Ripon/York areas - must say have an interest in the company so pm me if you require details as not going to tote for business here.

bbes

New User
Visit site
BB Equine Services is self drive hire and horse taxi/transport business, i have just set up the business and we are based in bradford but do drop off the van if required. We deal with all sheffield, manchester, bradford, leed,s otley, york, halifax etc. Check us out on facebook and the web for all details or PM if you would like more info, trying to get posters and flyers out to all the yards and tack shops is not the easiest but i am still working on it.

hope we can help you all

webble

Visit site
Im not in Yorkshire but I have just bought a small box for myself and looked into the option of hiring it out and decided against it. The insurance was around 4 times the cost of normal insurance and I struggled to find suitable breakdown cover, so this is probably why

There are a lot of people doing horse transport now so that may be an option