Sell all my stuff?

zoon

Visit site
I am selling my beloved horse as I am having a baby. Despite being totally heart broken, I know its the best for me and him. So please no people saying "put him on loan" or "turn him away" as the decision has been made.

In the future, I do plan to get another horse. Once the baby is a little older etc etc. Now my lad will be sold with a couple of rugs, but thats it. He has a WOW saddle, about 5 bridles, vast numbers of bits and bridles, a huge range of boots, numnahs and piles and piles of rugs.

What I want to know is, should I sell these things or keep for the future? There are a couple of things of his I wouldn't ever sell - his first bridle, a saddlecloth we won in a comp, his door nameplates etc. But the rest? Sell to raise baby/future horse funds or keep just incase it'll fit new horse in the future? I could easily open my own tack shop with the amount I have at home, in my car boot and at the yard!

Mabel98

Visit site
Keep it all, it costs such a lot to buy new again. I gave up for a while and sold everything. Wish i hadn't, cost me a fortune.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Maybe find a middle ground - go through everything, make piles of what you could never get rid of, what you're unsure about, and what you can live without. Then sell the stuff you don't need but hang on to the rest for a while. I wouldn't sell the WOW saddle!!

Digger123

Visit site
If you are putting off buying a new horse for a few years I would be tempted to sell.
Let's face it, a few years down the line you will be wanting to buy all the new stuff. Hell, every year they bring out new rugs and I so want to buy them
grin.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
When I came out to Argentina I sold a LOT of stuff and just kept the basics and I totally regretted it; had to buy all the stuff all over again. Course, I still HAD a horse, but at the time I didn't envisage ever needing it again!
If you've got space, I'd be inclined to keep it. If you sell it, can I have a PM please?
grin.gif

zoon

Visit site
Going to keep the WOW; buying a new set of panels if need be is defiantely going to be cheaper than a whole new saddle.

But rugs? I am 5'3 and have a big 16.2hh horse so the probability of getting a big horse like him again??? I am thinking they might go musty and mouldy in my shed anyway? Thats the only place I have to keep them (tack etc will stay in my house)

Tickles

Visit site
Why not offer to sell any/all (except the sentimental bits) of his stuff with him 'by seperate negotiation'. That way you might get the reassurance he'll have well-fitted tack in his new home if they do buy it and if not you can always sell it later?

kal40

Visit site
The way prices are increasing it will cost you a small fortune to replace things in the future. I would hold on to as much as you can.

quirky

Visit site
Keep it all
laugh.gif

I went from a 16.2HH to a 14.3HH and sold all my 6ft 3 rugs. Guess what size the 14.3HH needs now she has filled out? Yup, 6ft 3.

My OH despairs at my rug buying/selling
crazy.gif
grin.gif

zoon

Visit site
Ok, seems I am keeping it all. How do I stop the rugs going moldy and musty in my freezing cold shed?

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
I have no real idea but maybe you could try them in those vacum pack thingies? You put the item in them just like a bag and then i think you fit the hoover to them to suck the last of the air out.
I may be talking utter tripe here but I'm sure I've seen something like that (if no one else has please let me down gently so i can call the men in white coats.............)

Persephone

Visit site
Tbh when I lost my two cob sized ponies I sold everything. I had accumulated masses of stuff and had half a mind that I would get a horse next.

It was nice to get rid of all the stuff and I made a fortune on e:bay
smile.gif

It was also nice to start from scratch with the new horse, get exactly what I wanted for her. I have a fraction of the stuff my other two had and it all get's used and even worn out lol.

sallyellis

Visit site
I agree with keeping it, but then again my OH would agree that I have an OCD with horse tack/rugs etc...my garage and attic are full of it, but having 2 youngsters I am loathe to get rid of anything cos if I do you can bet that will be the size I need. I would love a PM if you do decide to sell someting though as my filly is going to finish up around that size and my ID mare is 16.2 as well.

Caritas

Visit site
I would keep things like your saddle etc but rugs and that I would definately sell. I had a baby in March 2008 and still have my horse, I fought tooth and nail to keep him and still do him all myself. I think you are wise selling, you can keep your horse if you are that dedicated and love it so much but its hard work. When you have your child you may decide never to go back to it.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
sort through it. keep the best and all the bits, all the everyday usage things etc. rugs get them cleaned, vaccum pack and stick in the attic not the shed. leather work clean well, oil up and pack undone, again in attic. you can get it out every few months and reoil/soap and pack up. it would cost you a fortune to replace in a few years! the saddle? ? if you can get a good price for it i would sell it (offer with the horse separately?) chances are it wont fit the next one!!!#
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
cat on key boeard!! Best of luck with the baby coming etc. A big life change but enjoy they are only tiny for a short time!!

zoon

Visit site
Joys of a WOW saddle, a few tweaks, maybe a new set of panels and hey presto - saddle tailor made for new horse!