Selling 2 year olds?!

Charrose77

Visit site
where do people advertise their young stock? I have a two year old that I very sadly need to sell. Extremely well bred, Glamourdale is her grand sire. I had absolutely no luck on horsequest, not even time wasters. I am guessing Facebook will be a minefield of scammers. Is there somewhere decent to advertise? My very said just forget it for a year as nobody buys two year olds! Would you agree?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Worst age to sell unfortunately. Not old enough to back, not a cute foal, often a bit wonky to look at. I agree with your vet I'm afraid. Are you able to turn her away somewhere until she's 3?

TheMule

Visit site
Nobody buys 2 year olds as they are now, sorry!
They might buy them in the summer glossies when being 3 and able to do something isn’t so far away

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I bought a 2 year old but he was cheapish, and I realise I'm probably odd because doing the groundwork is my favourite part and I'm not desperate to ride, I just liked watching him grow up and enjoy himself out in the field.

I do think if you can wait another year you would get more interest and probably a better price though.

Charrose77

Visit site
I bought a 2 year old but he was cheapish, and I realise I'm probably odd because doing the groundwork is my favourite part and I'm not desperate to ride, I just liked watching him grow up and enjoy himself out in the field.

I do think if you can wait another year you would get more interest and probably a better price though.
Oh I agree. I love that part too. I bought her to bring on alongside my older mare…..I thought I had a few more years with her, but it didn’t work like that, silly me thinking I could “plan” it! So I now find myself with a 2 year old and a 4 year old. I can’t keep both long term. I really love the relationship you build with just one horse….and I don’t think I have the time to do justice to two youngsters. And I am getting old, rapidly 😅

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Can you keep her until it's not dishonest to call her "rising three"? In the meantime do some ground work & take photos of her at a couple of shows, loading, looking at traffic, getting her feet looked at etc.

Fielder

Visit site
A friend has just sold a 2 year old as in a similar situation change of circumstances needed to drop numbers, she did sell after months but did drop her price by half and was sold unseen to a lovely lady across the country as a companion 'with potential'. It helps shes like a puppy sent lots of videos picking up feet, being led out and at a show (even though she was quite naughty there) and parents photos. She got an absolute steal will easily be worth double in a years time once can be backed and has grown to the magical 14hh

Edit : Found through sharing through friends of friends on facebook

tda

Visit site
Agree, I have 2 x 2yr old geldings I bred which I could do with moving on, but as others have said it's a rubbish age, so they're staying put and will hopefully sell as rising 4 yr olds.
I don't really mind, I just love them both, doesn't help you much sorry

millitiger

Visit site
I like buying as under 2yros.
Unfortunately for you, it's because you can get very quality young horses for not a lot of money.

I also have land at home so can wait a few years before riding without livery costs.
The last one I bought was a flashy Timolin yearling, who I paid less for than it would have cost me to get the same horse on the ground.

So it really depends how much you want for her?
If she is cheap enough she will sell but that is likely less than she is worth to you.

TGM

Visit site
Agree with Millitiger above. I bought a 2yo but that was because he was cheap - the price paid must not have given the breeder much in the way of profit at all. I bought in the summer and he looked pretty scrappy then and probably would have been even more off-putting at this time of the year!

SEL

Visit site
Local FB sites, friends of friends etc are more likely to keep away the time wasters.

If he's very well bred and the price is right someone might take a punt heading into spring.

Is he a 2022 2 year old or rising 3 this year?

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
We’ve just bought a rising 2 year old as a ‘companion with potential’ - he’s very well bred, moves well and has a lovely temperament but he’s currently looking a bit little and scrawny (supposedly going to make 16.1/2 - he needs to do a LOT of growing …). He wasn’t massively expensive and we have our own land so he can just chill and eat for now. My daughter found him on one of the FB youngstock groups.

Palindrome

Visit site
I bought my then raising 2 on Facebook, good dressage breeding, good temperament but bum high and ugly duckling looking, she was 4k+VAT.