Selling a fizzy horse that might buck?? What to do??

BorgRae

Visit site
Hi everyone!

Ok, so my friend is selling her horse and he can be fizzy and have moments where he'll spook, or chuck in a buck or bronk. We have people to come and view him this week and they are aware of this.

BUT - Should we get them to sign something before they get on?? Is this normal practice?? We live in a "blame" culture now and I would hate for something to happen!!! Is a verbal contract of "you're riding at your own risk" enough?

Have any of you sold a fizzy horse? What have you done to protect yourselves "just in case"!

To be fair to the horse, the last couple of weeks he's been ridden, he has been 100%, but it would just be typical that he may do something with a new rider, we can't predict these things.

Obviously we will be riding him first so the potential buyer can see him ridden...

So, Any advice?

soulfull

Visit site
I've recently done this. Made sure advert says not a novice ride or known to buck
Then I made sure I had a witness that heard me tell them exactly what he did

Then when I did sell him receipt said sold as seen, known to buck

Unfortunately new (very experienced) new owner has broken her leg on him. Although it wasn't his fault. But still glad I covered myself

wallykissmas

Visit site
I think as long as your telling people and its stated in all adverts you should be able to cover yourself incase anything happens as its written in black and white which the person should/would have read to then phone to discuss/view further.

Nice to hear of someone being honest instead if "oh he has never done that before".

BorgRae

Visit site
Thank you for your replies.

We have stated this in all of the adverts and will have witnesses for when we explain the behavior before she gets on as well.

We'll also make sure we state this on the receipt.

Thanks again for your replies. Fingers crossed!!

:D x