Selling a horse and then regretting it

juliehannah58

Visit site
Have any of you ever sold a horse and then really regretted it later?

I am just about to sell some of my horses due to me working too much and I have ended up selling them for much less than their true value due to the rubbish market at the moment. I am questioning whether I will come to regret it.

Any experiences? I hate selling horses!
frown.gif

Digger123

Visit site
Sold my mare and bought a totaly unsuitable irish gelding thinking that is what I wanted.Don't regret selling her as such as I still see her every day as my friend bought her off me but I do miss riding her.
You do what you think is right at the time, sometimes it it is sometimes not.We have all been there. There's no use regretting it, it's a waste of time

aidybex

Visit site
I'm in the very position at the moment - sold my mare as I wanted something bigger, now have said bigger horse and wishing I have my mare. Only had the new boy a month so still adjusting.

All I will say is make sure you are 100% - I'm not sure I will regret it in the future, hoping not!!

Booboos

Visit site
My friend sold her mare, then regretted it, spent her time thinking how great the mare had been to ride, managed to buy her back a year later...but then re-discovered that the mare was not that great to ride afterall and regretted buying her back!

Quadro

Visit site
i sold a fab horse 2 years ago to a dealer (to kate bunting now turlood sports horses on his passport he is called toy prince) and i cant find him anywhere
frown.gif
and i would just love to see him and know he is ok
frown.gif
the horse i bought in his place is fab i love him to bits but i just wish i had teddy as well or at least could see him now and again!

hairymolly

Visit site
I sold a wee mare a year and a half ago because I felt like I had out grown her. I bought a bigger beastie and have had some probs with her. Do I regret selling my wee mare? No I know I did the right thing. Do I miss the simplicity of her? Yes. Whether I regret buying the new horse is yet to be decided.

scrumpygus

Visit site
Not me personally but the person i bought one of my current horses from has been in touch several times asking to buy him back from me - she really regrets selling him and i feel really bad but he is the best horse i could ever wish for and i wouldnt part with him for anything now.

Sol

Visit site
Sold my last mare as we just didn't have the right facilities to keep her - she was a competition horse at heart and wanted to be doing something all the time, and we were stuck on iffy yards with little turn out and no/crap schooling facilities, and didn't help that she loved XC and that was a rare treat
frown.gif

Sold her, bought new horse and moved onto a yard that would have been perfect for the mare...... *sigh* We'd put off going there as she could be a little highly strung and thought it may not have suited her, having been on there since April, we now know it would have done! grrrr. So yes, I regret not giving her another chance and selling her :/

You live and learn...

MagicMelon

Visit site
It is hard, you don't know if you'll regret it unfortunately. The only horse I've regretted selling was the last one I sold this year, a Welsh D. I felt I needed to get down to just one competition horse as I was moving into our first house and felt I couldnt afford the time or money for 2 competing horses. Im still gutted I sold him. We had such a special relationship even though we had times where we wanted to kill each other. I did write into the sale contract that if the owners wanted to ever sell him, Id get first refusal. So I kinda like the fact that perhaps one day I'll have him back.

Im now faced with the dilemma of considering selling my other horse who I also love to pieces. Reason being we've hit a bit of a brick wall competing-wise. I can't go much higher at BE & BSJA without having to travel much further and pay more than I can now afford! But I dont him wasted. I figure starting again with a baby horse would make things much cheaper for a while. I know for certain I'll regret selling him if I do.

TableDancer

Visit site
Never sold one and regretted it tbh - however twice now have not sold when offered the opportunity and very good money (25K first time, although amounts weren't discussed second time I have subsequently discovered there was up to 40K on the table
shocked.gif
) and have lived to regret it: First horse suffered injury requiring rest of the year off shortly afterwards and when came back to work the recssion had struck plus he had a year off on his record, sold him for half that
frown.gif
Second horse has subsequently suffered major confidence crisis, uncertain if he'll ever event again
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
So it cuts both ways...

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
Only one I've ever regretted selling was a five year old gelding I'd had since he was three. A Heinz 57 variety, he had a super nature, took everything in his stride and was the easiest youngster I'd ever had. BE'd him at five (placed two out of the three he did) but then he was growing bigger and bigger and I was starting to look like a pea on a mountain on him. He also struggled with soundness on hard ground (remember when we used to have ground that was too hard?!?!) Sold him in 2007 after much heartbreak (so many complete time wasters) and woman that bought him conned me, persuaded me to drop price for her as she was the 'right person' then a few weeks later he was back on the market at a higher prize. I howled buckets and wished I've never sold him. I would buy him back tomorrow if I could. Last I heard of him was near Newcastle. He'll only be rising 8
crazy.gif
Would loved to have kept him as a hunter as he was so sensible (unlike the idiots I have now!!).

juliehannah58

Visit site
The coming back on to the market thing and being pushed from pillar to post. I think I will write in their passports that I'd always be interested in having them back and always willing to know how they are. Has anyone ever done this?

Quadro

Visit site
ye i wrote a in the back the back of the horse i mentioned aboves passport with our address and contact numbers saying we would like to keep in touch but never heard anything so it might or might not work
frown.gif

kerryflower

Visit site
sold my "quirky" tb gelding this year after having him for 6 years. I loved him to bits despite the grumpyness in stable and strops. Had to sell him due to uni and the fact I wanted to do more than he did. Wish I could have kept him but couldn't afford two. Bought a new one who is lovely to replace the tb but has taken a good 3 months to start bonding properly with him and not regretting selling victor meldrew! I think it's just somehting you get used to and if anything like me, u sell them for a reason and usually is right thing to do, just ur heart tells u it wasn't ! x

charlie55

Visit site
I sold my 4 year old unbroken gelding a year ago, the women couldnt handle him and sold him at the sales. I have tried everything in my power to find him since but ive had no luck
frown.gif

Really regret it
frown.gif

No matter how much someone says they will not sell the horse on, you cant trust them unfortunatley. x

_April_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not me personally but the person i bought one of my current horses from has been in touch several times asking to buy him back from me - she really regrets selling him and i feel really bad but he is the best horse i could ever wish for and i wouldnt part with him for anything now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has happened to me a little with my current horse.
Her last owner is on this forum and is doing fantastically well with her new horse but the one before that emails me a lot asking about 'my Tara' and saying she wishes she never had to sell her and I feel so bad for her!
But not enough to part with her myself! I haven't even done much with her but she's just a lovely mare lol

I've only ever sold one and that was my first pony; sold to a family who loaned her for 3 years first and kept her til she was PTS of old age, so no I didn't regret that for a second.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
I sold my lovely dressage horse as we were broke and I was offered alot of money for him. That was 25 years ago and still regret it. I very rarely sell horses now we tend to buy as yearlings and keep them, as I really hate the fact that they have a value. Probably why I will always be broke.

sarahs

Visit site
I sold my boy last year and will always regret it but selling him enabled me to move on in my life, I just wish I could of had it all. I found a dvd last week of us going round hambledon last spring and it reminded me what a genuine honest boy he was, I still love him to bits but he has the best home now and i even got a christmas card from him!X