Selling a horse around Christmas 2010 / New Year's time - is anyone looking?

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Have you been able to keep him exercised and have the facilities to show him off properly?
If the answer is no then I would not advertise yet. If yes there is no harm in advertising. People look for horses all times of year in my experience. There will definitely be less looking at the moment after the weather but that is not to say the right person may not be looking.

Thisbe

Visit site
Great article in H&H this week on advice for selling...... to be honest i normally put buying on hold this time of year as i don't have an amazing indoor so when I get them home they are stuck doing very little. lots of people are in the same postion at the moment

ihatework

Visit site
I've booked in to view, but only those with indoor schools unfortunately.
There are another 2-3 I would like to view but can't because of the weather conditions.
For me now is a good time to view purely because I am off work for Christmas.
What are you selling and where are you?

HLOEquestrian

Visit site
We're selling a 14.2 coloured event mare and we've had a lot of interest, including someone from Scotland and we're in the SW in Somerset! It's just the fact that unfortunately no-one has been able to make it out to see us yet due to the weather...I think this time is as good as any - good luck selling!

Dommy18

Visit site
I would say go for it I sold a pony that I've been trying to sell for nearly a year 2 weeks ago. I gave up trying in Sept and put him on loan but then the loan decided that winter was hard work and he was meant to be coming back a week before xmas. I thought I'd just stick him in a free ads site and he sold within a week and ended up in the yard next door to where he was on loan. They just tried him in the loan home had him vetted the next day and walked round and collected him a few days later!

On the other hand I am going to get another but plan on waiting a few more months before looking.

Good luck you might be pleasently suprised!

Sugarcubes

Visit site
Hi "Dommy18", wow, great story, you were lucky and so was your little pony!

Hi "ihatework", I have PM'ed you with more info.

Hmm, yes you are all right. If my horse was sold and I had the money in the bank, I would be out looking for a new horse right now as well. The time of year is irrelevant if you find the right beastie for yourself.

I bought a horse sales magazine today, just to check out how many horses are for sale, and to see if the same-sort-of-type of quality, breeding, height, beauty and experience is currently being advertised at market prices...and there are a few in there...so I better start writing my ad!! :))

Thanks everyone!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'd have thought, weather apart, and as winter goes, its a good time to advertise - more people are off work and school, so have more time to look/view...

OneInAMillion

Visit site
It depends what type of horse you are selling imo. Eg if it is an eventer this time of year is good. You havent had another one to exercise over the winter and you have enough time to get to know it before the start of the season

Sugarcubes

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I will give it a go, and see what happens. I would love to be out horse shopping, but need to move this beastie on to a new home first.