Selling a horse - what do you include?

lisan

pets.webshots.com
Had someone try May last night who seemed keen, and is coming back again, but they also wanted to know about tack and rugs being included. She is only up for 3.5k which I think is a very reasonable price for what she is. She has 3 sprenger kk bits, a nice Stubben Bridle, Stubben jumping saddle and lots of rugs - most of which will fit Ruby, so I don't want to let more than a couple of rugs go with her.

How do you think i should negotiate/what to ask?

lochpearl

Visit site
personally I would say that the price of the horse is £3.5k, then sort out what you wouldn't mind parting with and work out a price for it, you could always sell it on ebay if they don't want to buy it off you. Not sure what your mare has done but in this day and age £3.5k is a very nice price for a horse!

KatB

Visit site
Nothing unless seperately negotiated
smile.gif

xnaughtybutnicex

Visit site
I probably wouldnt include the saddle in that but probably the bridle and the rugs that she is wearing at the mo, stuff that she will need to travel in incase they dont have time or just dont buy it before they collect her and maybe the grooming kit.

Michelle73

Visit site
I wouldn't part with the Stubben stuff if it will fit another horse! But if you've got anything you don't want and it won't fit your other horses or any you may get in the future let it go with her. If the buyers didn't think she was worth 3.5k they wouldn't have come back for a 2nd look, but they will try and knock you down and get stuff included!

ihatework

Visit site
If it was a big issue to the buyers that she had tack and rugs included then request they pay the asking price and send her with cheapo bridle and a second hand wintec or similar, you could probably kit her out for £200.

Alternatively just say no!

Faithkat

Visit site
Depends on what you think the HORSE is really worth. If you sell her complete with all the kit you mention, you are really only getting about £1500 for the horse. I agree with lochpearl.

Years ago I was selling a youngster and I was going to let everything go with him - brand new (very expensive) bridle, 2 new headcollars (one Stubben), 4 new rugs, brand new grooming kit, new feed buckets . . the works and was asking £1500 for the whole lot. I ended up selling the horse for £750 but he only went with one headcollar.

rara007

Visit site
I just include essentials for free- usually an old turn out rug, travel stuff and head collar. If I have a manly old bridle to get rid of, they get that but I would make sure that you keep your expensive stuff unless they want to pay for it.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
I probably wouldnt include the saddle in that but probably the bridle and the rugs that she is wearing at the mo, stuff that she will need to travel in incase they dont have time or just dont buy it before they collect her and maybe the grooming kit.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats what I was thinking if they pay the asking price, but not the grooming kit, they already have a 14.1, so will have stuff anyway.

I paid £800 for her saddle new, so a bit hesitant to let that go in with the price!!

X

xspiralx

Nothing included, unless separately arranged. Usually chuck a headcollar in with a cheap cooler or something, but any other tack has to be paid for separately - though if its not that nice, or I won't need it again I let them have it fairly cheap.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
I would ask them if they wanted to buy the saddle seperately unless it fits your other horse aswell

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I will do, I know it would go for quite a bit sold privately. Unfortunately it does'nt fit ruby
frown.gif
But I already got Ruby another jumping saddle anyway.

xnaughtybutnicex

Visit site
It's because they are horsey people, so they are cheeky and see what else they can get lol I've never got anything with any of the 3 of mine but 2 did come from a riding school.

Ezme

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It's because they are horsey people, so they are cheeky and see what else they can get

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats because most of us are poor! The only think we've ever let go with horses is headcollars and any lotions/potions their on but you don't often sell driving horses with their harness anyway (not as often as a horse would come with a saddle anyway) They go with mediceines and treatments so we get the new owner into the habit! lol

JS65

Visit site
I would let her bridle go and a turnout rug
and that is only if they try to get you down a bit.
She is worth that money, so let those things go as a good will gesture. x

Iestyn

Visit site
That sounds quite positive. I would let her bridle go and 1 bit on the bridle. KK are expensive and 3 bits are probably worth (new) about £200. I wouldn't lt her stubben saddle go. It depends how many rugs you have...I would probably let a winter turnout, a lightweight and a stable rug go with her. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
smile.gif

at work

Visit site
It really depends on how good at negotiating they are and whether you have further use for the tack or not?

I've never sold a horse, but bought 3: The first came with travel bandages a few of old rugs and a bridle - I've still got the bridle and one of the stable rugs (and the horse). The second came with nothing - the owner tried to sell her saddle as an extra, but I didn't like it. We did negotiate on price on that one. Most recent I just bought the horse, no negotiation, nothing with it. One friend was shocked that the tack hadn't been included in the sale but it never even occurred to me to ask, or that it might be. So all that tells you is I am not much good at negotiating.

Cathey

Visit site
i sold my horse on saturday for £3500 and for this they got all her rugs and her bridle. i was asking £3750 including all her rugs anyway. Didnt really want to let the bridle go with her, was only 6 months old and cost me £120, but the people were so nice and i knew they would adore her so home became more important. I sold mine within 3 days of advertising, and tbh was happy with the price i got considering everyone told me horses are selling for peanuts atm. Its upto you i guess, depends on the people and how much your willing to negociate. I wouldnt let her saddle gor with her tho, and dont think people often expect to get that included anyway. Good luck selling her!

niagaraduval

Visit site
Keep Her tack and rugs. I would let her go with a fleece rug and a head collar.

When i buy horses I like to buy everything for it anyway. That's all part of the fun in buying a horse - a huge visit to the tack shop
grin.gif
I would want to buy all the tack new, unless I paid an absolute bomb for the horse, but in this case I would keep everything. I would send her off with a head collar and rug. For the journey.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
Right, I needed to get it straight in my head what I wanted before we negotiated.

Will let the bridle, kk snaffle and universal, lightweight turnout, cooler and a heavyweight turnout that I got cheap, the will check on ebay how much Stubben saddles are going for.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
That sounds quite positive. I would let her bridle go and 1 bit on the bridle. KK are expensive and 3 bits are probably worth (new) about £200. I wouldn't lt her stubben saddle go. It depends how many rugs you have...I would probably let a winter turnout, a lightweight and a stable rug go with her. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
So I might be bringing Ruby to Somerford on Wednesday
shocked.gif
Bet she will love it anyway!

Yes, so keep everything x for this girl to have May!

only_me

Visit site
when i sold my pony no tack went with, and i sent a stable rug that i won (which was slightly too small for him
blush.gif
) and a lycra neck cover (he is grey) as it wouldnt fit merlin
tongue.gif

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
TBH, i think i would explain that you have already dropped her price due to new horse and that its available seperatley. Point out it will save the hassle of them going to buy stuff to fit her etc.

When i have bought horses, most have come with a headcollar and leadrope, (2 didnt though)
One came with a wrecked wintec saddle with a girth that didnt fit, and a broken sweat rug and broken haynet. i had been told tack was included in his price and it was what i tried him in, thats not what they sent and my dad bless him didnt know one saddle from another!
One came with a full neck weatherbeater outdoor with a small rip in, and a lw stable rug (one that came with no headcollar) no tack
One came with just a lw turnout no tack
Then there was another who is a pain in the a*se to get stuff to fit him - i begggggged to buy his saddle but she wouldnt part as she wanted that as a memory of her horse (and i think ex hubby who had bought the saddle!) it was a pain for me but i managed to find him one (bought quite a few in the process!)

I have a new cheap synthetic saddle i'm selling if they desperatley want her to come with tack if it would fit her. (17")

try and remember that they are looking at May not her tack, so TBH, if they like her, they will happily buy her without the tack/pay extra for it.
smile.gif
i dare say they are just trying their luck but lets face it, i think anyone buying a new horse would ask if the tack was included
smile.gif

Syrah

Visit site
I'm feeling like a right tight wad now.

I sold mine a few weeks ago. She went with a headcollar only. If it was chilly, I would have slung a travel rug on her and if the lady hadn't brought travel boots with her, those would have gone too.

As far as I'm concerned, unless it states otherwise in the advert or negotiated seperately, they are buying the horse only and maybe chuck in a headcollar and fleece to travel in.

Befney3

Visit site
When I bought Boo last year he came with nothing. I paid a similar price to what you are asking & when I tried him I asked early on if I could have any of his tack/rugs. The seller was upfront about the fact that nothing was going with him so I knew straight away what I needed to buy.

In a lot of ways it worked out better for me getting nothing with Boo than for my friend who bought a horse a month later & was told she would get all its tack as she thought she wouldn't need to buy a new bridle/saddle but has had to anyway 'cos they were shocking quality & not a good fit.

At least if you've said 'the sale includes x, y & z' the buyer knows what they need/don't need & can start shopping.

dieseldog

Visit site
I sold mine last week - with nothing. I have sold horses with tack in the past but that was extra on top. Be strong and don't be swayed by the 'oh I have to buy a blah blah blah....' they would have to buy it anyway with whatever horse they bought.

RedVendetta

Visit site
I sold my horse last year for 5.5k with all the rugs I didnt want and a pretty good bridle. I sold my saddle to them cut price (I had bought it brand new 1 year before for £870, it was a CB in perfect nick, and let it go for £400) which was fair as I would have got more than that for it, but let it go because they had bought the horse for full price. I also gave them a head collar and told them to bring travel boots, which they did.
Just be upfront and give them what you think is fair - be that just a head collar or all her belongings! Like someone has already said, theyre buying the horse, and will be more interested in her than the tack.

Enfys

Visit site
I sell them with nothing but a halter.
The last couple of buyers didn't even want that as they came with their own.

lilpinkdonkey4

Visit site
We sold my pony with full wardrobe of tack and rugs. I had a really nice bridle on her that i thought should fit the next horse so i kept that and bought a £20 one to go with her. I had got the saddle quite cheaply as i work for a saddler and knew it fitted her well so thought her comfort was more important than the minimal amout i would get back for it on ebay. Her rugs wouldnt have fitted my next horse so they went, as did her cheapy headcollars. But i did advertise her price to included tack and rugs.

They tried to knock me down £200!!! becuase i was going to keep my stirrup leathers (they were a present from my godmother) so they got those as well and i refused to budge on price... as they were getting a bargain anyway!