Selling a horse. Your top tips for sellers please.

Fools Motto

Visit site
I had no idea this could be so frustrating!
I think I've listened to too many people, and got brain frazzled.
Just require tips to stay sane, (apart from gin).

mini_b

Visit site
No messages
Speak to people on phone only. Think that helps weed a few out.

Sorry for your frustration it won’t be straightforward!

Is there any way of you selling via word of mouth? That’s how I found mine; I was first to view and took him.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
put ad in feed merchants, local riding club, or local venues when competition is on obviously with permission, let farrier and vet know what sort of home would suit. if you put photos make sure horse is standing properly with no tack on and one of jumping or dressage whichever type of home you want...

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
With Toby I had plenty of detail, decent video showing w/t/c/ on both reins and SJ and XC and a hacking clip. Price on ad. Location on ad. Stated comments would not be responded to. Pm or ring.
200+ comments were ignored. 60pms or so of which 45 or so were ignored because:
1) They were asking a question already answered
2) They were just asking for more video
3) They were a bit rude or random

That left 15 or so sensible, interested buyers who knew what they wanted and knew Toby sounded a good fit.

It was pretty straightforward. Far far easier than it has ever been before.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I put an ad up on one Facebook page. Included some pictures and an honest description then priced her at what seemed like far too much to me, because deep down I didnt want to sell her. I was inundated which allowed me to be very picky, and she sold to the first person to view for the full asking price, and they are absolutely thrilled with her.

The market is completely insane. A genuine, sound horse will sell very quickly for a very good price. Slightly bonkers lame ones are selling, so anything nice and genuine is snapped up almost immediately.

SO1

Visit site
Be careful about height if it does not have a LHC after the lady with the pony which did not measure in. If you can put a stick on it and take a photo then people will know a rough height.

silv

Visit site
Don't respond to txt's ,apart from with your phone number. if they are serious buyers they will be make the effort to ring. That way you can sound them out too. Good luck.

windand rain

Visit site
Good photo's, ask on here if need be, but some of the ad photos are awful. Give price and location not just vague bits if you will take an offer put that on the ad. It is neither use nor ornament to say located in north east as a minimum give the district/county. If a mare ad not possible to be in foal etc. I wouldn't mind text to a point but refuse to answer repeated demands for more photos or videos if you have provided good ones and finally answer the phone or be there at the time of viewings That bit applies to buyers too if you arrange to view turn up if you are runnning late contact sellers or buyers to let them know

Supercalifragilistic

Visit site
Only advertise on FB if you are prepared to sift hundreds of messages (some excellent strategies for dealing with these in AE’s message). You may get fewer ‘window shoppers’ enquiring if you advertise on one of the selling sites like Horsequest or Horsemart, and state phone calls only in the advert.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
No pics of someone standing on the ruddy horse, my absolute bugbear! I want to know if it’s good in traffic, I’m not auditioning for the vaulting team! Mention any outings, be specific about how it is hacking/schooling/loading/to catch. I had a Holstein a million years ago, he was a swine to catch. Mine comes to call, I’d want that if poss.

Put up as many pictures as possible, multiple angles.

Abi90

Visit site
Don't respond to txt's ,apart from with your phone number. if they are serious buyers they will be make the effort to ring. That way you can sound them out too. Good luck.

This is not true for all. I work long hours with zero signal at work. If I wanted to contact a seller outside of the hours of 2100-0600 then I would have to send a message, I would feel very rude calling at 2200 or 0500 and I’m not sure they would appreciate it. I would prefer to text to arrange a convenient time for both to call rather than proceed in a game of phone tennis

blitznbobs

Visit site
Get someone who can ride to do the video … it makes a huge difference to the desirability and price you can demand… I genuinely think there is a business where you buy the horses with a crap ridng video cheaply and get someone really good to ride it and sell it the next day for double the money

Fools Motto

Visit site
Thank you. Finding it really hard mainly because everyone seems to want so much for not a lot of £££.
I'm selling my lovely very kind youngster. He is worth his weight in gold - (i know many say that), but he will be a very bright star in a year or 2. People want that - right?? Nah... I thought I'd have my arm snapped off, but it seems there's always 'something' to complain about!! lol

lannerch

Visit site
This is not true for all. I work long hours with zero signal at work. If I wanted to contact a seller outside of the hours of 2100-0600 then I would have to send a message, I would feel very rude calling at 2200 or 0500 and I’m not sure they would appreciate it. I would prefer to text to arrange a convenient time for both to call rather than proceed in a game of phone tennis
Agree , I have arranged to see and eventually bought two horses just by txt , so serious buyers do txt too.

ihatework

Visit site
Make sure you have all the vitals in the advert, including location (often missed off!).

Good clear photos showing horse doing job you are selling for plus a good side on confo shot minus tack/boots.

I generally load videos on YouTube and direct buyers to the channel.

Don’t get into a flurry of text/WhatsApp/messenger comms. One polite response answering their question and your phone number - serious buyers will pick up the phone 95% of the time. The others are just black holes of timewasting.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Agree , I have arranged to see and eventually bought two horses just by txt , so serious buyers do txt too.

I've bought 2 by Facebook message including the most recent one. Didnt vet, didnt mess around or haggle. I just asked the questions that were pertinent for me and paid a deposit. I never once spoke to the owner on the phone!

Lyle

Visit site
I like texts or messages
Often my first contact is a message, asking for a convenient time to call. I hate cold calling, I often find the person is a bit surprised or perhaps a little busy. If someone sounds flustered I find it really hard to relax and ask what questions I need to.

Annagain

Visit site
I preferred messaging too, mainly as I then had everything in writing. I did phone if sellers wanted me to phone but I found that most of them wanted who wanted me to phone had a horse with a bit of an issue that they wanted to play down or not put in writing.

Then there was the woman who spent an hour and a half telling me about her father - whose horse it was - who had to give up riding at 84 due to a dodgy hip but had been riding said horse for 3 years. Something just didn't ring true so I texted a friend in her area. She asked a friend an we found out her father was in fact in his 60s, in prison, had never sat on a horse and the horse was a total fruitloop. No wonder she didn't want her story down in writing!

Flicker

Visit site
Good conformation photos.
Get someone to proof read the advert - does it cover everything, are minor typos corrected.
Video of the horse in walk, trot and canter both reins, with transitions - very important, I always get suspicious if up and down transitions are cut out because they say a lot about balance and rhythm.
If it pops a fence, a video on both reins of approach and riding away.
If the horse is good to hack alone, some footage of it hacking in traffic.
A fair and honest assessment of the horse’s ability and temperament. Including areas that need development.
Price. Or price range.
I don’t mind people messaging me because I work full time and usually cue everything up for the evening / weekend. But if people send more than a couple of questions, I suggest either a phone call or a viewing.

Annagain

Visit site
I think the thing I appreciated most was people telling me straight "I don't think this is the horse for you" rather than letting me travel miles to find out what they already knew.

I know this isn't always possible as you only have what they tell you to go on but I was very honest about my ability, confidence and the fact I was a bit heavier (have since lost 3 stone). I had a few (mostly pros) tell me from one conversation that the horse I was asking about would be too much for me / not carry the weight I wanted and I'm grateful for that. It saved me a journey and them wasting their time.

Of the 25+ I saw (I lost count!) I think at least 15 of them, the seller would have known from what I told them that they weren't for me but decided to go ahead with a viewing anyway. Of those 15 I'd say 3 or 4 were downright dishonest about the horse rather than just thinking "let's give it a go anyway". The other 10 were right on paper but we just didn't click.

mini_b

Visit site
I prefer text or email. I'm a bit deaf and find text based contact easier. I also prefer having a record, being able to review before pressing send, and having control over when I read and respond.

To be fair the “having a record bit” is a good point.
can’t be any he said/she said that way!