Selling a horse. Your top tips for sellers please.

Green Bean

Visit site
Personally, at least 5 good photos of the horse in action and 1 standing properly (see guidance on HQ). Avoid filtered photos, as the person can only be disappointed when they arrive to look at the horse - fine to have one to show the horse at 'its best'. Avoid phrases like should make, has potential, with the right rider - huge put off for me, unless the horse is a youngster. It is amazing how many 13 year olds are advertised as having potential. I think that ship sailed. Videos essential only if you can show the horse at its best, even if you need to ask a really good rider to ride your horse for the video (this is dependant on your abilities of course, so no offence intended). I prefer text first, followed up by a call. Please don't mark price as POA - you know what you expect to get for the horse, whether it is £1,000 or £100,000, you need the right market of buyers. I skip straight past POAs

marmalade76

Visit site
Good conformation photos.
Get someone to proof read the advert - does it cover everything, are minor typos corrected.
Video of the horse in walk, trot and canter both reins, with transitions - very important, I always get suspicious if up and down transitions are cut out because they say a lot about balance and rhythm.
If it pops a fence, a video on both reins of approach and riding away.
If the horse is good to hack alone, some footage of it hacking in traffic.
A fair and honest assessment of the horse’s ability and temperament. Including areas that need development.
Price. Or price range.
I don’t mind people messaging me because I work full time and usually cue everything up for the evening / weekend. But if people send more than a couple of questions, I suggest either a phone call or a viewing.

I've noticed a LOT of sales vids cut out the transitions and it always makes me think they must be awful.

Renvers

Visit site
With Toby I had plenty of detail, decent video showing w/t/c/ on both reins and SJ and XC and a hacking clip. Price on ad. Location on ad. Stated comments would not be responded to. Pm or ring.
200+ comments were ignored. 60pms or so of which 45 or so were ignored because:
1) They were asking a question already answered
2) They were just asking for more video
3) They were a bit rude or random

That left 15 or so sensible, interested buyers who knew what they wanted and knew Toby sounded a good fit.

It was pretty straightforward. Far far easier than it has ever been before.

As a buyer this approach would appeal to me as it suggests an efficient and organised seller.

windand rain

Visit site
Good god sellers really do have a challenge these days and buyers expect far too much. I sold and bought horses for years on 4 line small ads I would never put up videos or be particularly keen on more than about 2 well taken phtos genuine buyers will view. Price size age location and sex was what we bought on you either ring and ask the rest or visit if it fit the bill. Buying I might ask for proof of height eg a tape or reference point as have been told a horse was 15.2 but went to view and it was barely 13.2 but beyond that you should call and keep appointments to view ask the questions by text if you must but view as most buyers miss on the best by dissing the horses on social media

Flicker

Visit site
Good god sellers really do have a challenge these days and buyers expect far too much. I sold and bought horses for years on 4 line small ads I would never put up videos or be particularly keen on more than about 2 well taken phtos genuine buyers will view. Price size age location and sex was what we bought on you either ring and ask the rest or visit if it fit the bill. Buying I might ask for proof of height eg a tape or reference point as have been told a horse was 15.2 but went to view and it was barely 13.2 but beyond that you should call and keep appointments to view ask the questions by text if you must but view as most buyers miss on the best by dissing the horses on social media
If I’m parting with a substantial amount of cash and about to make a large investment in time (and potentially a large emotional investment too) I would like to see that the horse can actually do what it is being advertised to do. I hardly think that’s unreasonable.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Thank you. Finding it really hard mainly because everyone seems to want so much for not a lot of £££.
I'm selling my lovely very kind youngster. He is worth his weight in gold - (i know many say that), but he will be a very bright star in a year or 2. People want that - right?? Nah... I thought I'd have my arm snapped off, but it seems there's always 'something' to complain about!! lol

What breed, age, and what is it aimed at doing?

windand rain

Visit site
If I’m parting with a substantial amount of cash and about to make a large investment in time (and potentially a large emotional investment too) I would like to see that the horse can actually do what it is being advertised to do. I hardly think that’s unreasonable.
You will never know if you take video or photos as gospel go and see it perform and try it so you get the feel. It might be a grandprix horse for one person on the video and a total no for you The talent is getting the best out of the horse. You could/will miss your soulmate because its pulled to bits by social media who often don't have a clue as they are going off video and photos too. As I said ask the question in private and if it sounds right then view if not move to the next one

Flyermc

Visit site

OK it was in year 2000 and 2002 but the 2 horses ive bought were from 2 line adverts in the Loot (paper) lol :) the other was via an auction (and not a fancy one!)

i think flyers was something like '14.1hh 4 year old bay welsh D just started under saddle £xxxxxx call - xxxxxxxxxx'

PSD

Visit site
Another who prefers texts/emails. I work full time with kids so I don’t always have the spare time to spend an hour chatting, by then time the kids are in bed and I’m sorted for the night it’s too late to call anyone and I don’t have the energy to do so.

As a buyer, I look for a range of photos of what the horse has done. Flatwork, conf shot, maybe some jumping of that’s what they do. I like honesty, recent one I’ve been contacting has been brilliant. He had found a home but it fell through so owner got in touch to let me know and it turned out we had a lot of mutual friends which was nice, I know she’s genuine too because of this. But she told me exactly what the horse is like and how he can be sometimes and I liked the honesty.

I think being totally honest will save a lot of unsuitable people contacting you. I think where you advertise also has an impact too.

Visit site
I do the majority of the rehoming of our racehorses and I always put the location in bold at the very start of the ad before we even get to the horses. How many people don't read this? Dozens! You say about the horse and how many people ask the same questions that the ad covers? Dozens! You put a price and how many people ask if they can have it on loan? Dozens! If we are loaning them we will say! I always say comments will not be responded to so to message the page. How many people ignore this and ask questions in them!

I always Facebook stalk everyone before I even consider responding to them and if I don't think they are suitable they simply get a "Sorry all horses have found homes" response.

Cloball

Visit site
Your youngster seems lovely, if I had any sort of budget right now I'd bite your hand off.

fetlock

Visit site
Definitely a good photo of the horse sideways on, standing still and on a level surface. If the horse is dark coloured stand in front of a lighter coloured building if possible and vice versa if the horse is grey, so the background complements him.

I think one really great photo that shows him in his best light is far better than half a dozen that don't, or don't really show anything or much.

A video of him walking away from the camera and trotting back is useful, to show he moves straight, assuming he does move straight, that is.

My personal preference would be phone calls only, as a seller and as a buyer.

Flicker

Visit site
You will never know if you take video or photos as gospel go and see it perform and try it so you get the feel. It might be a grandprix horse for one person on the video and a total no for you The talent is getting the best out of the horse. You could/will miss your soulmate because its pulled to bits by social media who often don't have a clue as they are going off video and photos too. As I said ask the question in private and if it sounds right then view if not move to the next one
TBH, I’ve not come across any posts on social media picking horse adverts to pieces (clearly I don’t engage with enough buy/sell sites) but if I’m going to drive a couple of hours down the motorway to go and try a horse I’d like to at least see first if there is at least a half a chance it is going to do the job I need it to. But hey, horses for courses.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I haven't read all the posts but the most important thing is to forget texts, they are time wasters. If someone is genuinely interested they will phone. Then always be honest with your answers & your advert, if someone comes to view they will know what to expect. I went to a viewing once & walked straight the horse I had come to see. The seller had lied about everything & when I took her to task over it she said "If I had been honest you wouldn't have come to view". I told her she had wasted my time, fuel, and how did she think I was ever to buy her horse when he was nothing like I was looking for. When I was selling a horse he was an all rounder & I'd got the arena at our yard ready for flatwork to be done & a couple of hundred yards down the road I had a circuit of show jumps set up in a course at a friends arena. That way whatever the potential buyer wanted to try we had it catered for. Basically be honest about good points & also if there is a vice you need to let them know. Tell them what you would want to know if you were buying a horse. Good Luck.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I haven't read all the posts but the most important thing is to forget texts, they are time wasters.

I am never a time waster when I text.

And as a seller, if people are going to waste my time on a few minutes of text I'd actually prefer that to a half hour telephone call where they tell me about every horse they've ever owned. Why do some buyers do that!?

I will be answering first and sensible second texts I get for my mare who is going up for sale on Sunday, before transferring the likely ones to email and then possibly to phone.

AandK

Visit site

And as a seller, if people are going to waste my time on a few minutes of text I'd actually prefer that to a half hour telephone call where they tell me about every horse they've ever owned. Why do some buyers do that!?

I will be answering first and sensible second texts I get for my mare who is going up for sale on Sunday, before transferring the likely ones to email and then possibly to phone.

Agree. I am not great at speaking to people on the phone, so will usually text first if that is an option. I bought a horse just over 2yrs ago only speaking to the seller via FB messenger before going to see him...

Bellaboo18

Visit site

Another that agrees with this.

If I've got a quick question that would make the horse instantly a yey or nay, i'd rather take the seconds it takes to text than call. Plus it's far easier to drop a text while I'm at work.

ETA good luck selling Deza Ycbm.

Foxglove

Visit site
I have just bought another horse so make these comments in light of the recent (rather stressful!!) experience

- my preference is always to call and speak to the seller to ask the questions I need answered, however I initially sent text / message to say I was interested, was it still available and if so when would be a good time to call. Too many people will not answer unknown numbers and equally they are unlikely to be so helpful if they’re in the middle of trying to bring in 20 horses! It therefore gives them time to prepare as well.

- please please please, be polite enough to return a message to say “sorry, sold”. It really does save the buyer a lot of time and hassle and enables them to move on to the next without wondering if they should be spending more time trying to get hold of a seller

- I too have historically bought horses from the old 2 line adverts you used to get in the back of the horse and hound but we really have moved on from those days. A photo of the horse stood up side on, a good photo of what you say it’s good at (whether that be flat, jump, whatever) and ideally videos of it at walk, trot and canter. I appreciate that people don’t like being asked for videos/ more videos but whilst I was willing to travel the country to find the right one, the number I ruled out when viewing more video footage saved me an awful lot of time and fuel money

- on that note, an accurate location is most welcome. The North East is a big region for example, and being in York is a big difference to being in Northumberland if the buyer is travelling from Cornwall

- POA - I’m afraid I don’t even ask!

- finally, if the horse has an issue - say a sarcoid for example - please don’t try and spend 20 mins justifying why I should still see it when I have just politely declined and told you that was a red line for me!! Everybody has their personal tolerances as to risk / conditions they are willing to accept, we don’t need judged on it!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
How, when we have lots of people reiterating on this post that communicating by any text-base format initially doesn't mean they aren't serious have we still got people blanket-stating that people that do so aren't serious?

What ableist nonsense

The mind boggles a bit doesn't it!

Not a horse but a horsebox, but it was sold to the person who only communicated via messages, all those who phoned were 'timewasters' go figure!

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
I chuck everything in the advert.

Exactly what the horse is and exactly what it isn't. I detail the sort of home the horse needs and the type of rider that would be best suited.

If the horse has any hang ups, they also go in the advert.

I request contact via text/WhatsApp. I like an audit trail of everything I have told a potential buyer so there is no risk of them trying to say something was withheld etc.

Most importantly, I am 100% honest. If someone doesn't sound like they would be suitable, I will tell them and not waste their and my time.