Selling a horse.

Sallyanne95

Visit site
I've never had to sell a horse before and was just wondering how people decide what a horse is worth? It must be difficult as the love and attachment you have for your horse might make you feel he is worth more then what they actually are.

For example I have a 4 year old ex racer (never raced only trained) . He is 15.3hh and is in very good condition.
He is currently not ridden but anytime ridden he was calm and a gent . He is a lovely horse who is very affectionate but can be a handful when leading him to his paddock due to excitement he can be stabled or live out and he has lovely stable manners and gets on we'll with other horses but would rather no be alone.
And I haven't a clue how much he would be worth. I know he won't be worth much but I'm guessing he would be worth more to me then he is to other.

Like I said this is just out of curiosity as I am interested in how people work out how much a horse is worth.

be positive

Visit site
To get a guide price you can look for similar that are advertised, the prices will have a huge range so you need to be realistic about your own, many are over priced or have unrealistic owners.

To get the best price and most likely the better type of home your horse should be brought back into work so that buyers can actually try him properly, they do not need to be really fit or going that well just able to walk, trot and canter quietly and go for a stroll down the road, not many will sell easily straight from the field unless the price is very low so that the buyer is prepared to take a risk on it being difficult, or worse, once it gets to it's new home.

Ella19

Visit site
Ex racer, not ridden and a handful to lead, you would need to look at £500 for a quick sale! In ridden work and quiet to ride £1000-1500