Selling a Horsebox - Any advice?

Jumoro

Visit site
I'm planning on selling my 7.5t horsebox and downsizing. I bought it when I was driving and needed to transport carriage but now I am just riding I really don't need so much space.

This is the first time I've sold a box and I'm not really sure where to start. It's a nice box built by a popular company so it's probably worth fair amount (they don't come onto the second hand market v often so it's hard to know what they sell for). The company that built it will only sell on my behalf if I am buying another new build, which is tempting but I really don't want to spend that much. I think my options are to sell privately or via a dealer/broker? Can anyone share any advice? TIA!

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
We sold our 7.5 tonne horsebox on ebay ( 12 years old , in excellent condition )with a reserve price at what was the lowest we were willing to take for it . We had loads of begging messages - basically chancers wanting us to give it away ' for a good cause ' ( ignored those ! ) but we also had numerous horsebox dealers making ' buy it now ' offers at , or slightly above , the reserve price . As there was obviously plenty of interest we decided to let the auction run and it eventually sold for twice the reserve price to a private buyer who lived many miles away but decided to take a punt ! If you can stand dealing with annoying chancers then ebay is a good quick option .

Sprig

Visit site
I agree that this is the kind of thing that will sell really well on Ebay.it gives you exposure to a large audience and competition should help drive the price up. Take loads of pics, make a really honest and detailed description. I always say that inspection is welcome before the end of the auction. Nobody has ever taken me up on it but I think people find it reassuring.

sychnant

Visit site
I bought my 3.5 ton from Central England Horseboxes, and it's going back there now to be sold as I'm just not using it.

They've said they will market it for 13k and I will get 10k.

Suits me, as then I don't have to deal with begging messages, stupid questions, and people visiting my house to view, all of which drove me mad when I sold the last one :D

Jumoro

Visit site
Thanks for sharing - I think I need to investigate them options and then weigh up the pros & cons. Does anyone have any advice on how to ask for payment - I’m worried (possibly irrationally!) about being scammed and ending up with no horse box and no money! Is bank transfer safest for large sums?

blitznbobs

Visit site
Sold my really manky old lorry on Ebay - got 3 grand more than i wanted and i was truthful about its ‘quirks’ - a mechanic bought it and im sure fixed its quirks and sold it at a profit — ebay seems to work well if you put a reserve price on it

chaps89

Visit site
When I sold my horsebox I found the eBay fees really high so I priced it higher on eBay than elsewhere to take that into account, it might be worth checking the cost before you list.
I took payment via bank transfer and made sure it cleared my bank before she drove off!

Jumoro

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice - sorry for the delay in replying (I've been offline for a few days). I'm going to ring Central England Horseboxes to see how they would handle the sale and how much they charge. If that doesn't work out then I think I'll give FB a try.