Selling a trailer

eahotson

Visit site
OK I have a trailer to sell. It has some damp and needs a new panel which will cost around £400. Do I get repair done and then sell or advertize it as it is, being honest about panel and reducing price as appropriate.It is basically not a high end trailer but decent enough.My horse travels well in it and it is towable on a B licence with appropriate tow car.

Green Bean

Visit site
It is a difficult choice, but for me, I won’t consider a trailer that needs work so from that perspective you will be reducing your market. A bit like buying a house that needs work. Of course it can be done, but do you want the hassle. I think your decision will come down to whether spending the £400 will allow you to recoup that in the sales price.

eahotson

Visit site
Thanks. I must admit that when looking at trailers for myself I have always discounted those that state that they need some work but I think that there are some keen and capable DIYers out there who are prepared to do some work and save some money.Perhaps I will advertize it as it stands and if there are no takers have the work done and readvertize.

eahotson

Visit site
600 kgs unladen. Big loading margin. Can be downplated if necessary.I used to tow it at about 1100kgs as the tow car I had at the time had quite a low, manufacturers set towing limit.The car towed the trailer very well though and that including slowing down, stopping etc.

Dexter

Visit site
Dont repair it, for a low value trailer its not worth it. Put it on ebay and it will sell well, just factor in the fees. Over the last few years I've bought and done up 11 trailers., most in a much worse state. Id snap your hands off normally for yours but with COVID I've stopped for a bit. Lots of people are still doing it though, more than pre covid I would say!

ihatework

Visit site
I’d advertise as is to start with.
You might find someone looking cheap so they can do the repairs themselves.

eahotson

Visit site
Dont repair it, for a low value trailer its not worth it. Put it on ebay and it will sell well, just factor in the fees. Over the last few years I've bought and done up 11 trailers., most in a much worse state. Id snap your hands off normally for yours but with COVID I've stopped for a bit. Lots of people are still doing it though, more than pre covid I would say!
I might just do that!

ROG

Visit site
600 kgs unladen. Big loading margin. Can be downplated if necessary.I used to tow it at about 1100kgs as the tow car I had at the time had quite a low, manufacturers set towing limit.The car towed the trailer very well though and that including slowing down, stopping etc.
600kg empty !! - what make of trailer is that as the lightest I can find is the bateson derby at 675kg ??

gingergreg

Visit site
I had a 505 which needed a panel replacing and people expected it for pennies despite me already selling at a very fair price. I ended up selling to a dealer for £1200 just to get rid of the damn thing! Maybe try it as is for a week and see what interest you get but be prepared for endless ridiculous offers.

ezililaur

Visit site
Sell it as it is.

I sold my old "2003" model Cheval a few years ago on Ebay.
Started bids at 200 quid and had a lot of interest.
It needed 2 new panels, gas struts and quite a few other bits.
I advertised it with all the repairs that were needed and actually stated that I felt it wasn't fit to travel a horse in the current state.
It sold for 800. I was gobsmacked!

I had all sorts of enquiries. From asking it it was suitable for transporting motorbikes and canoes to storage.

Don't just advertise it on horse sites. You may be surprised.

eahotson

Visit site
Sell it as it is.

I sold my old "2003" model Cheval a few years ago on Ebay.
Started bids at 200 quid and had a lot of interest.
It needed 2 new panels, gas struts and quite a few other bits.
I advertised it with all the repairs that were needed and actually stated that I felt it wasn't fit to travel a horse in the current state.
It sold for 800. I was gobsmacked!

I had all sorts of enquiries. From asking it it was suitable for transporting motorbikes and canoes to storage.

Don't just advertise it on horse sites. You may be surprised.
Wow thanks.

Dexter

Visit site
Thanks - I did not know that

What is is plated at now - 1300 1400 1500 ??

One of the old Rice trailers is 632kgs and plated for 1400 ish kgs. I've had 2. They sell well to people who want to pull them with a smaller car on a normal driving licence