Selling ettiquette - two interested parties at one time?

MissSBird

Visit site
Hey guys.

I'm currently selling my horse lorry. I have someone coming out to see it this weekend, who has had to wait a week because our work schedules couldn't work out before then (I work odd hours).

I've now had a second email off someone who is interested in coming to see it.

What's the polite thing to do here? Should I put the new person off til the first has seen, advise them I've someone else?

I've never sold anything before so I'm really new to this...

Thanks!

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I do it in order of enquiry, but a lot of people on here will tell you to let anyone see it as its in your best interest to sell.

Reverse that and I wouldnt like to make arrangements for then someone else to be able to visit sooner and buy.

Its completely up to you though. x

WelshD

Visit site
I would let the second people see it but make it clear that the original ones have first dibs

I would then tell the first people what is happening, this should ensure they keep their appointment!

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
The first people might come and decide not to buy and in meantime 2nd people could have found something else! If 2nd people can get there before then let them come. If 1st people can't get to view until X date they must understand that could go before then.

rossiroo

Visit site
I would let all prospective buyers view, but be open and honest and say that other parties are interested, take a non-refundable deposit if a buyer says they want it, and inform the others that is what has happened, but don't promise to 'keep it' for anyone unless they give you at least a deposit. Genuine people will understand.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
First person that comes up with the money. Lots of people mess you around over lorries for all you know neither will turn up or if they do the won't like it or nitpick over it for a reduced price.

You could let the first enquirer know if they want to re-prioritise their week to see it earlier and obviously let them know if it has been sold. Otherwise it's just the way things go.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
First person that comes up with the money. Lots of people mess you around over lorries for all you know neither will turn up or if they do the won't like it or nitpick over it for a reduced price.

You could let the first enquirer know if they want to re-prioritise their week to see it earlier and obviously let them know if it has been sold. Otherwise it's just the way things go.

^^^ This^^^^

Let first enquirer know, so they have the chance to view first, but otherwise first to hand over the money, gets the lorry.

dorito

Visit site
Interesting thread, and I also wonder if same applies to viewing/selling horses?

I guess the principle of first come, first served does apply, but do sellers take into account whether they like the sound of one potential buyer rather than another?

honetpot

Visit site
I would only tellpeople there was other interest after they had come to view. Your horses may be lovely but they may not like it, do not put off any viewer in any way.
If they make an offer and you think its a good match take it with a non refundable deposit, it can be refunded if it fails a vetting and also put in a timescale for collection.
There is someone on a another forum who sold a foal 3 times and kept 2 deposits when the buyers did not turn up to collect.Good luck.

Twinkley Lights

Visit site

This from my experience last year.

Rhodders

Visit site
I think you should treat people the way you would like to be treated yourself, for me if I'd been making arrangements with you and you sold it before I got there I wouldn't be happy.

Jools2345

Visit site
first come first served but i would contact the first people that arranged a viewing just to let them know you have someone coming to see it so they can re-arrange if they wish

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I think you should treat people the way you would like to be treated yourself, for me if I'd been making arrangements with you and you sold it before I got there I wouldn't be happy.

As long as the seller lets me know it is sold before I drive miles to see it I would be quite Ok maybe a little disappointed but that's life - early bird catches the worm :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I personally wouldn't make an arrangement like that. I would say "yes, you can come next week, but if anyone else comes I will let them see and buy.." With my horse, the vendor wouldn't let me come for four days until someone else had seen her. Unfortunately the person wasn't quite as "faithful" and went to see another horse the same morning, and bought it. So I had waited for nothing, and the seller regretted it. Same with our caravan, again the vendor had had another call wanting to see it, so she held it for them, they came, then said they were going to see something else the next day, and would she hold it another couple of days in case they didn't like the other one as much!

When it came to a good home for a horse, I may be swayed, but often what people say on the phone, and what they are like when they turn up are two different things anyway!

morrismob

Visit site
Ooh scary thread ! I am trying to buy a box and sell my present one. I am off to look at a box at the weekend, its miles and miles away but fits the bill and we have agreed a price should I like it. I hope the vendor wouldn't ring me the day before and say sorry someone can get here before you ! If they did then so be it.

Equally I would be up front with all prospective buyers of my box, if I had people wanting to come before the first one I had arranged a date with then I would tell 2nd people exactly this. I do this with horses too. I do believe in treating people as you want to be treated. But that's me OH would sell it to the first one with cash. Mind you my box is an old friend who I admire and trust... sad-eh ?:rolleyes:

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
But are you treating people badly if you are up front and tell them that its first come first served?

I believe in treating people as I would like to be treated, but wouldn't hold things for other people - unless I actually knew them perhaps.

morrismob

Visit site
But are you treating people badly if you are up front and tell them that its first come first served?

I believe in treating people as I would like to be treated, but wouldn't hold things for other people - unless I actually knew them perhaps.

It would depend on the circumstances, take the box I am going to look at its over 4 hours away so I cannot get there before the weekend, I would be a bit upset if the vendor sold it before then due to having to arrange leaving the horses and dogs. There would be nothing I could do but if I had someone coming to see my box from that far I would honour the appointment before others. If both parties were local to me I would ring the first and explain someone wanted to come earlier and give them the option but I would still give them first dibs.

But as I said it may just be me as my hubby wouldn't bat an eyelid :D

lucindakay

Visit site
i say let anyone come and look, first come first serve, as i lost a perfect home last year because someone called first, also with a lorry its easier to be a little less friendly because its not like a horse where you might want to check up on it you can easily let a lorry go

MissSBird

Visit site
Ooh scary thread ! I am trying to buy a box and sell my present one. I am off to look at a box at the weekend, its miles and miles away but fits the bill and we have agreed a price should I like it. I hope the vendor wouldn't ring me the day before and say sorry someone can get here before you ! If they did then so be it.

Equally I would be up front with all prospective buyers of my box, if I had people wanting to come before the first one I had arranged a date with then I would tell 2nd people exactly this. I do this with horses too. I do believe in treating people as you want to be treated. But that's me OH would sell it to the first one with cash. Mind you my box is an old friend who I admire and trust... sad-eh ?:rolleyes:

Just to confirm it's certainly not my box you're coming to see as the person was local!

Thanks for everyones thoughts. Interesting to see the different approaches!

benson21

Visit site
i would say to the first people, they are welcome to come and see it, but as its advertised, others may see it before them, it depends who can get there first.

Loulou2002

Visit site
I would let whoever can get there first look! I arranged to see a horse on a Friday as this was my day off but someone got there sooner and bought her. It's one of those things...... I should of booked a day off earlier!

PolarSkye

Visit site
I would let the second people see it but make it clear that the original ones have first dibs

I would then tell the first people what is happening, this should ensure they keep their appointment!

This. Seems the most polite/fair way of handling things.

P

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
I bought my mare last July. Went to view her, liked her and put a deposit on her there and then. When she was delivered owner said another lady who'd viewed her before me and was dithering had heard she been sold and told owner to give me my deposit back as she wanted her. Thankfully owner said sorry but tough.