Selling - has capped hocks ADVICE please..

express_75

Visit site
Hi

I have a stunning 2yr old Sec D colt; very well bred, very flashy and perfect for me in all ways apart from he has badly capped hocks (they happened just before i bought him a year ago) initially, they did go down with DSMO but are bigger that ever now. The operation to remove them is expensive but it's a risk as they might come back!

I was him for showing, both in-hand and then under saddle - but with the hocks the way they are, it's not likely. It's very sad and i love him to bits. Don't know whether to geld him and turn him out and see how he looks then think again or sell him on to a very good life long home, where he could do some light hacking etc...

This is an awful situation for me as i only want the best for him

What do i do?!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Geld him, and give him as much turnout as possible.

Can't see that much has changed for you in this purchase, apart from the fact that he still has capped hocks.....

KingCharles

Visit site
capped hocks are ussualy just purely cosmetic and so there is no reason why he could not lead an active ridden life. Turnout and movement may make them go down more but they will never compleatly go away. If he is well bred and you where goign to use him as a stallion then i see no reason why you coudl not still do as planned. You coudl still get away with local level showing. It really is not the end of the world! Many horses have capped hocks and its generally caused through bad management and is not something heredrity. If he is stood in a lot then they will look bigger.