Selling hay on. Now or Autumn?

Fransurrey

Visit site
Am swaying towards this yard vacancy, but one problem is my hay stash. Not long before the field landlady died, I bought 12 maHOOSIVE bales of dry haylage/wrapped hay, 250 Kg each. Due to the mild winter, I'd have 9 or 10 left and understandably, YO doesn't want to be unfair to everyone else by letting me use it on her yard.

It's 2011 hay, but is still fab, but is it sellable? Tried a commercial buyer and he didn't want to know, as it's 2011 and only 9/10 bales. Arrrrghhh!! Would I be better to wait until Autumn, or will waiting make it even less desirable?

Mongoose11

Visit site
You could offer it to her at a reduced price and she could sell it on as part of her stock?

Sorry - should have read last post..... :)

Ignore me.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Sell it now. I have good doers & I prefer late cut or old stuff because its not as rich. And if its wrapped it won't be dusty, which is usually the main issue with old hay. We only got one cut this year, so I've been tracking some down before we run out. But although I found lots of good stuff, its taken me ages to find some old, dust free bales. And if I feed the top quality new stuff, it would mean rationing &/or soaking. I'm sure there'll be others like me.

ihatework

Visit site
I'd take it in a flash if I had a way of moving it & transporting it (which unfortunately I don't). My horse is struggling on very rich haylage at the moment and would love to find some good wrapped hay - we don't have storage for small bale unfortunately

Ellen Durow

Visit site
Am swaying towards this yard vacancy, but one problem is my hay stash. Not long before the field landlady died, I bought 12 maHOOSIVE bales of dry haylage/wrapped hay, 250 Kg each. Due to the mild winter, I'd have 9 or 10 left and understandably, YO doesn't want to be unfair to everyone else by letting me use it on her yard.

It's 2011 hay, but is still fab, but is it sellable? Tried a commercial buyer and he didn't want to know, as it's 2011 and only 9/10 bales. Arrrrghhh!! Would I be better to wait until Autumn, or will waiting make it even less desirable?
YO being unreasonable.Nothing to do with being unfair to other clients. She doesn't want you bringing it on the yard because it will interfere with her profits. Can yo store it any where such as the garage at home and bring it in in your nets?