Selling my best friend feel miserable

Harley.Barley.79

New User
Visit site
Hi please tell me people who have sold there beloved horse the pain goes away I feel terrible,

So I’d had my mare 8yrs since A baby and had the best bond ever, she’s been there through every crap part of my life always made me feel better just seeing her little face,
Sadly though as lovely as she was I completely lost my nerve due to an accident with another horse, and as lovely and great my bond was I became scared of her wouldn’t ride her and she became a field pet, I wouldn’t even handle her as was too nervous even though she’d never done anything to me, she’d always been bolshy on the ground, but other times would be golden I had a trainer out as she became quite bolshy on the ground and unpredictable as one moment fine the other bolting off,

So I decided to sell her as felt she was wasted I have two other horses one 20 and one 12 cob who is no bother dope on a rope

But finding it so difficult as I feel like I should have done more everyone says I’ve done the right think she’s a horse with a brain and needs a job, but blame myself for letting her down and not doing more getting more trainers people riding her even though she was difficult, got some balls about me, she has gone to a lovely owner and think there well suited he wants to event where I can just about walk round the woods without getting off on my cob who has never put a foot wrong but I feel totally miserable that I won’t see her little face again or when I call her I won’t see her come running over as when she saw me she’d run over like a dog happy to see me, when things are crap always went to her, I feel like I’ve lost my best friend

I know a long post

LaurenBobby

Visit site
You certainly haven't let her down. As you said she has gone to a lovely owner who is suited to her. It sounds like you've done the right thing even though it hurts. Sending hugs xxx

Upthecreek

Visit site
It’s sad and you will continue to feel the sense of loss for a while yet. Just remind yourself that the decision you have made is in the best interests of the horse. It would have been selfish to keep her because the thought of letting her go was too upsetting for you when you know she wasn’t fulfilling her potential because she needed to be out doing stuff, which you didn’t feel able to do.

Hopefully your confidence will recover in time, but until then she would be wasted.

It is heartbreaking for us sometimes to make the right decision for the horse, but it sounds like you have done just that, so good on you 😊