Selling my best pal

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Another one bites the dust,
yes I am advertising him as a horse which needs more flatwork, needs a confident and competent rider, sigh sigh sigh, another one comes along, tries him, he is well behaved, she is wobbly, ie can do a rising trot but cannot school, so why do they think they can ride anything other than RS plods... why do they think I discuss this sort of thing before they come? She goes away and discusses with her instructor....... then decides he is too much for her, what can I say, instructor has never seen horse, rider has a little ride round with no problem, OK she was not able to school him, but the fact remains she was not as confident or as competent as she made out.

Last edited:

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I am [almost certainly] going let him go on loan where he will be looked after, but I think the loaner wants him to compete, and, knowing him as I do, I don't think he is the right type for this, but anyway, he has a training opportunity, and maybe somebody else will want to buy him, he is ideal as an RC type for someone who wants to learn how to bring a horse on.
The main thing is that she is overweight for him, I don't know how to broach the subject, I know I am at his limit, but he only hacks, and when jumping, has a lighter rider.
This fell through, and just as well as she ran out of money two months after the original discussion.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Last chance scenario: he is moving to a better yard and will be schooled for me, also a potential sharer lives up the road from his new stable, so it might just work, he has had a reprieve, I am very much happier, as things may just be starting to swing my way!
Potential sharer turned out to be a ten year old child!
The girl who was "schooling" him fell off, well she rode him in such a way that he learned to fly kick!

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Another one bites the dust,
yes I am advertising him as a horse which needs more flatwork, needs a confident and competent rider, sigh sigh sigh, another one comes along, tries him, he is well behaved, she is wobbly, ie can do a rising trot but cannot school, so why do they think they can ride anything other than RS plods... why do they think I discuss this sort of thing before they come? She goes away and discussed with her instructor....... then decides he is too much for her, what can I say, instructor has never seen horse, rider has a little ride round with no problem, OK she was not able to school him, but the fact remains she was not as confident or as competent as she made out.
I have given up riding for good I think, lets hope someone turns up.

Snowysadude

Visit site
Oh wow you have not had much luck, I remember originally seeing this thread when first made! I hope you sort something out soon, if its any reconciliation I have been looking for a loan for almost as long as you have been looking for someone to have/help with him :).

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I certainly am not having much luck, if people want a schoolmaster they should ask if horse is suitable, I clearly state in ad he needs a competent rider to continue his flatwork [the basics are all there], but one lot took this to mean he would be suited to a home with no jumping!!!!
I have to say that he was a complete star, did exactly as asked, and was not in the least naughty!!!
AND he now looks a million dollars!

Last edited:

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Another one!!!. got a message saying ideal [sounding ] person wanted him, offering permanent home, experienced competitor and novice daughter, message arrived at 09.30, I replied straight away, got a reply an hour later, saying she had just bought another pony, but could still offer less than half I am asking for!!!!

Miss L Toe

Visit site
At last. or so I thought....., mature girl comes along, very keen, horse ticks all her boxes, after the initial trial ride, will return later in the week .......... silence, I send two texts, nothing, I send an email suggesting she is a time-waster, ah, it appears I am in the wrong as she has tried to get in touch [?] but it appears that my horse being perfect has helped her to decide she is too busy to own a horse.
What a hard life it is to be a teenager.

Elsbells

Visit site
How rubbish it's been for you:(

Is he still moving to another yard?

If he needs a confident rider, have you tried looking at project horses? They are not all nutters on there, but rather they need competant riders or simply bringing on. it's not somewhere where dreamers might think to look and the horses go for a market value. Good place to look for a summer project.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
He is not a project horse, he just needs someone who is not a novice and who will ride him as instructed ie ride forward and make sure he does what is asked of him.
I am an oap and broke him bareback.
Most teenagers would be fine with him, I exclude those who burst in to tears and who think that he will be perfect once he has bonded by being kept in a field for three months.
He needs to be ridden by a rider who is able to school a horse, or who is willing to take lessons to learn how to do this.
I am looking for another yard, as I enjoy hacking, but not schooling, the current yard has a big field which he likes.
He does not like moving, but as my leg is crook, he needs to go.
He is advertised at a reasonable price on five sites plus local tack shop, there are no enquiries.

Last edited:

Dexter

Visit site
Problem is your looking for someone who can ride or who wants to learn to ride properly. They are few and far between! :(

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Problem is your looking for someone who can ride or who wants to learn to ride properly. They are few and far between! :(
That is exactly it, if I sell him cheap he will then be sold on to a novice and a downward spiral, he has a nice pop, just not suited to certain homes.
It is his nature and he will always be "difficult" in the wrong home.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I have had yet another person out to see him, they have phoned every person I know to ask about him and I feel I have almost been interrogated about him, even though I have been perfectly open about him.
I stated he is not a first pony but had no vice, but has attitude, so when he put "ears back" because they were not riding him properly [in his opinion] what do I say, you are not a good enuff rider, so he is not happy!!!
They have gone home, I am exhausted.
Poor boy, I love him so much, weep.
I am 66 next week and am lame on one leg, , what do they think they are dealing with fgs.
He can jump 1.00mm spread. Do games and le trek, why does he not sell?

Last edited:

Miss L Toe

Visit site
and endurance................... he will go along fine forever..................................
If I can only find a decent place, I would move him, but I can't.
I have got to the stage where I am ready to sell my house so we can move to the country, ................. or out of the country.
I am at the end of my tether.

Last edited:

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Why do people say they want a forward going horse for Endurance and Le Trek, when they actually want a happy hacker.
The lady in Q got on my boy, gave him a whack in the belly with both boots, if he had been forward going he would have disappeared over the arena fence and never been seen again.
Complain he does not go in an outline [he does if they ask nicely], but state he will never see an arena, and will only do beach and forest rides. To live out all year round and be ridden out three times a week.

Last edited:

onemoretime

Visit site
I really feel for you. I am in the same boat trying to sell my mare, Ive had nothing but time wasters and numpties who cant ride.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
It is sickening, after having spent hours answering more questions than one can imagine, they now decide to put in a low bid, with conditions!
I find it difficult to understand the reasoning, they live in an extremely remote area, have to travel hundreds of miles to view, and then decide to try to "get a bargain", if I wanted to sell him cheap I would have lowered the price, price has never been a matter for discussion before, the horse is priced to sell, there are no similar horses priced lower.
The horse is sound and in the prime of his life, so in theory should be higher priced than the average.
If they wanted to negotiate I might have been prepared to think about it, but they have annoyed me so much I am not likely to sell him to them, let them look somewhere else is my feeling at the moment.

Last edited:

onemoretime

Visit site
Agree with you I am sick of time wasters. My horse, like yours is priced to sell and is a bargain considering her competition record but all I have had is time wasters.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Well , that is it, he has flown the nest, after many, many traumas, timewasters, wrong people, eventually he has found a good home, [sigh of relief], lets hope it all works out, I understand he has forgotten all about me and is playing with his new friends [four legged friends].

_GG_

Visit site
:( I was in your shoes a few weeks ago so I feel your pain. I have luckily managed to sort a few things out as a few things changed, but it is an awful, awful feeling. Just remember that you are doing what is right for him and hopefully that will help you a bit. (((hugs)))