Selling old horses - your thoughts?

amandap

Visit site
This doesn't sit right with me. What do you think?
It doesn't sit right with either.

Horses seem to fall into a category of their own, many are pets (not generating income) but are expected to provide a means to an end for their owners and when they can't they are no longer pets or partners for some.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
We have a 22 year old retiree, an 18 year old retiree and an 18 year old semi-retiree (happy hacker)

I suppose we are lucky in the fact we have the land for them and don't need to pay for individual livery, and if for any reason we couldn't keep them anymore, we have made the decision to have the oldies PTS.

Dread to think of where they would end up....

Don't see the harm though in an oldie that is still doing a bit of a job to be enjoyed by someone else though if they could...as long as they do right by the horse when the time comes.

Hippona

Visit site
If I put my really cynical hat on - I do wonder sometimes if people advertising really old horses (well over 20) or really old ponies (which often live longer than horses (so well over 25), they are trying to pass on the cost of PTS to someone else.

It's not just this ad that irked me, there are plenty of others at the moment including a 16.2hh, retired, 24 year old for £100. If that horse was mine, I would be either ringing the hunt or the Vet and having her quietly PTS at her home.
Same here.
It's like selling your granny....people should be ashamed...

Ps...Not that I'm advocating shooting your granny, you understand :)

Funkyfilly024

Visit site
We moved one of ours onto a friend at 21... but that's a pony with many years left and her kids wanted to ride her, we knew she would have a forever home with her other oldie and would have her back if anything changed.
Would never go to a stranger though.
I put out a wanted advert a while back looking for a horse to plod around on type, and was shocked by the amount of people replying with 20+yr old horses wanting quite some money for them!
A. If situation really forced me to rehome at that age and I knew they had many years left, I would find a new home for them to be happy in, but I would loan.
B. Some of them seemed to have 'try and get as much as I can to recoup my costs and buy the next one' feeling to them :(

skint1

Visit site
I'd be uncomfortable with doing it myself and probably wouldn't do it to any of mine but if I were looking for another horse I only want to hack so would certainly consider something older so there are homes out there for them.

However, I think it is always a concern that someone will make the horse do more than it really should do, I have seen that happen to a really nice horse who in its youth competed at BE, just run into the ground as a ribbon machine at local level because of its generous spirit and excellent training.

suestowford

Visit site
...posted too soon

What I meant was there are homes out there for oldies and some people actually want/prefer them.
Yes. I did, when I was looking for my first horse. I wanted something older, who had done everything and seen it all before. I was his last home and we had six lovely years bumbling about the lanes before he died. And he taught me a lot :)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I would never part with a horse that old, it seems very callous like tossing away an old pair of socks. :( I have an 18 year old and I just want to love and look after him in his old age. He has so far given me 8 years of pleasure and I hope many more. Even putting him in a retirement home would be difficult because I love to be in charge of his care and would feel a little jealous if he looked to someone else, although I would do so if it were best for him.

When I was a teenager we rehomed my 22 year old pony and luckily he found a lovely retirement home but it still haunts me as eventually we lost touch and I never knew what happened to him in his final days. I sometimes I dream about him and in my dreams I am nearly always searching for him.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
no :( I *might* consider loaning but likely only to somebody who was a friend/known/references etc etc. even thought I do know of a fair few abandoned oldies who have managed to find themselves a series of nice owners that have given them the life they deserve. I couldn't take that risk though.

blood_magik

Visit site
the way the original quote is phrased makes me quite sad.
I, personally, could never sell on a horse that age because I wanted a new, younger horse.

my oldie will be with me until his time comes and I hope that my younger boys will still be with me when they get to Jerry's age.

MillyMoomie

Visit site
I have strong opinions on this. People should be responsible, if you can't keep your horse till the end of its days when it is already that old you should PTS.
Earlier this year I was involved in a operation that was following drugs and the illegal horse transport/meat trade. Off the lorry full of the typical welshies/cobs/ old unwanted horses was a grey tb type. Although he was in very poor condition I could see he was a very smart type and well mannered. We managed to find his passport and I was disgusted to see that this was a former professional event riders horse that had been to two Olympics and numerous 4 stars. This was a well known horse that had been a servant for this rider for over a decade and it was seriously upsetting to see this once mollycoddled athlete in such poor condition, exhausted, covered in cuts, dehydrated, ill and on a lorry destined to Europe. How on earth did this horse get there. The rider pleaded ignorance and it's more than likely he didn't know, that 18yr old horse deserved to be taken care of responsibly.
I will never forget what he looked like.

Goldenstar

Visit site
W
I have strong opinions on this. People should be responsible, if you can't keep your horse till the end of its days when it is already that old you should PTS.
Earlier this year I was involved in a operation that was following drugs and the illegal horse transport/meat trade. Off the lorry full of the typical welshies/cobs/ old unwanted horses was a grey tb type. Although he was in very poor condition I could see he was a very smart type and well mannered. We managed to find his passport and I was disgusted to see that this was a former professional event riders horse that had been to two Olympics and numerous 4 stars. This was a well known horse that had been a servant for this rider for over a decade and it was seriously upsetting to see this once mollycoddled athlete in such poor condition, exhausted, covered in cuts, dehydrated, ill and on a lorry destined to Europe. How on earth did this horse get there. The rider pleaded ignorance and it's more than likely he didn't know, that 18yr old horse deserved to be taken care of responsibly.

I met one of those once it has haunted me ever since I held him while he was PTS I was furious at whoever allowed this happen .
A horse who worked hard was sucessful and ended up giving up its soundness to its owners and riders deserves better.
I PTS my own calm in the knowledge that there are far worse things than being PTS at home.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
It was Hello Dandy.

Hallo Dandy, the oldest surviving Grand National winner, who was in a poor condition when rescued and sent to the Thoroughbred Rehabilitation Centre in November 1994, was put down there on Monday 8th January 2007 on the advice of vets, having just turned 33 years old.

amandap

Visit site
Horses in this sort of situation are just for Christmas sadly.

I do think older horses can move on happily but generally so many horses get moved very frequently and don't have much stability in their lives. I think this is an issue throughout the horse world.

Goldenstar

Visit site
If your going to retire a horse then I feel you much be prepared to give a lifestyle similar to the life it's had when working that does not mean in my book standing knee deep in mud in Febuary freezing in a torn rug watching your younger friends tucked in their stables .
hallo Dandy was lucky he had won a famous race and that saved him sadly many are not so lucky

hnmisty

Visit site
When we got Misty, we promised her old owners that she had a home for life with us. We thought she was 17, but I traced an old owner and she was actually 24ish. She stayed with us until she died at 35. She had the same routine as my newer pony, and then was my only pony for the last 5 years I had her and she was my no 1. I couldn't even think of getting a horse up in Sheffield (home is Somerset) whilst I still had Misty, because she would have been more important.

I could never, ever have parted with her any other way. Giving her a nice retirement was thanks for her teaching me so much.

Chestnut horse

Visit site
couldn't sell a golden oldie on, so many things could go wrong, and 26/27 are aged horses. A horse that has served you well deserves a good retirement with you (unless you know of a loving loan home i.e someone you know really well who just wants a horse to lavish love on) it would be like asking me to part with my old dog - impossible.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Makes me feel sad. Personally, if I had an older horse who had served me well and given me some great memories, I wouldn't dream of parting with it. I would feel I owed it a nice retirement, to live out its days in a loving and safe environment where it felt safe. It wouldn't matter to me if I had to put competing or whatever on hold for a while. It's hard to find a good home for an oldie - if it's owner doesn't want it, why would someone else. I always say that if I win the lottery, I would open a retirement home for horses - I see too many of them wanting for homes :(

What Clare85 said, I could not have put it better myself.

dizzyneddy

Visit site
l agree with clare l think it depends on circumstances some people have to let their oap go for financial reasons but if the oap is being sold to make way for a youngster l couldn't do it. My mare is 18 yo now & had a couple of years off due to injury but l'd never part with her we've been through so much she was a typical chestnut mare as a youngster but can't say that now!!! lg l didn't have the time l'd share her but when l have a horse its for life especially likd many have already said they have given you so much in their younger days you can't discard them like an old toy. Alot of older horses still have lots to give even in their twlight years.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think it depends on peoples ideas of "old". For example, I'm trying to rehome one of mine who is 15, because he cannot jump anymore but still has masses of life left in him and would make a fantastic hack for someone - I'd like to keep him, but I hate hacking so why keep him and basically do nothing with him when someone else could get loads of enjoyment from him? I think no matter the age of the horse, if this applies then why not? Everyone on here always seems to assume these "older" horses end up in dreadful homes, which is often not the case - its no more risky selling an older horse than a younger one, you just have to try and judge the home as best as you can prior to agreeing to sell. I wouldn't however sell my other 15yo horse because due to injury, he's not really up for hacking even and plus he doesn't hack well so he is basically a field ornament therefore couldn't offer anyone else much. I've had him years and he's given me everything so I do feel I owe him a good retirement which I will provide, just like I will with my 2 ponies who are 25 and 27, again they have specific (and expensive!) health problems so I wouldn't pass that on to someone else.

MagicMelon

Visit site
If your going to retire a horse then I feel you much be prepared to give a lifestyle similar to the life it's had when working that does not mean in my book standing knee deep in mud in Febuary freezing in a torn rug watching your younger friends tucked in their stables .

You make it sound like the ones who live out are miserable and the ones stabled are happy - other way round IMO! My 15yo I talk about in my post has been stabled pretty much permanently until I got him a year ago, he now lives out and loves it!

charli_

Visit site
'To make room for younger horses' that's awful! Have had Wellie since he was 3 years old, nearly 11 years. I couldn't bear to part with him, and he's only 14! Same goes for Prince, and I've only a had him a month! Once they both reach the age I think that they need to retire, they can expect a lovely life at home with the big fields and warm stables. By this time I probably will have acquired a few others for me to ride! Hehe! Could never part with my boys. Except when the time comes, and I will see them over the rainbow bridge :)

Megibo

Visit site
I don't condone selling old horses under any circumstances.

If it is a responsible loan and owner fully prepared to have the horse back- yes that's fine.
I've now got a 17 yr old ex-racer on loan from work, I know full well what would happen if I could no longer loan her though.

pennyturner

Visit site
I don't think it's right to be quite so judgemental. There are times when it's right to sell, and times not.

Personally I sold one oldie - well, 19 anyway. He was a talented but mental little ***** to ride, and getting no better in his old age. He still dropped me regularly, and my kids were getting of an age where they would want to ride him. I sold him as a driving pony to an RDA driving group, where he's still going strong 10 years later. Shame they haven't seen him jump a cross country course, but at least he's hasn't killed anyone.

On the other hand, I have a 7yo who was injured in my care as a 4yo. I will not sell him, ever. I chose to save him, rather than pts, in the knowledge he would never work again, and I have a responsibility to care for him to the end.