Selling, or finding a rider for a complex horse - thoughts?

dressagelove

Visit site
I have three horses, a 3 yo, and two TBs. I have had some success at the lower levels of BD with T, but he is a quirky soul and since leaving Uni and landing a full time job, I just don't have the time to enjoy three. I find myself rushing around and I think the time has come to sell one on.

T has taught me an absolute mountain and took me to Elementary BD which I never thought I would achieve. He has given me the taste, and ability for higher level movements which I would now like to have a crack at getting even higher.

The thing is, T has never had the best brain for dressage. I don't think he enjoys it, he is far from a novice ride, very spooky and often has meltdowns. It has taken a lot of tactful riding on my part to get the best out of him, which as I say, has made a far better rider than I ever thought I could be.

However, I have now reached a point in my life, a job, a house, a puppy and thinking about a family in the not too distant future, and three horses is just too many and I can't enjoy them. I think two would be a manageable figure, so I can bring on my 3yo and enjoy my other TB.

I am too picky for the market, and am worried about selling him to someone who would potentially ruin him. He is a very complex little horse and to be honest I'm not sure what to do with him. I just want to enjoy my competing now on a straight forward ride, so I really don't want to keep him for myself, although I am the only one at the moment who can get any sort of performance out of him.

However, I don't know whether a professional, and the right sort of person, could get a better tune out of him than I. He is physically more than capable. I have mentioned it to my trainer who is a BD judge, and she said she will have a think and ask around.

I've tried advertising for loan, but it attracts the wrong sort of people (i.e. novices). And I was wondering whether there might be any potential for giving him to a rider to compete and see what they could do with him. I could then retain some element of control of his management and future. I can afford to keep him, I don't need the money for him at the moment, so that's no problem.

I guess I was looking for people's advice, experience, whether they thought this idea had legs. Does anyone know of anyone who might be looking for something like this horse in NW-ish region. (neighbouring counties, or travel within reason is fine).

He might have a total meltdown and never make for anything, in which case I don't know what I will do with him, but then again, now he is maturing, he might make something of himself with someone.

He doesn't particularly seem to enjoy his work, and he never enjoys leaving the yard. Is it fair to expect a horse like this to ever be a successful competitor? I have put a lot of time and money into this horse and would love to see him get somewhere. He is only 8.

TIA.

kassieg

Visit site
I cant really judge from that when you are talking about getting a rider are you thinking to pay to ride him at yours or are you thinking to pay the rider to have at their yard
I think it very much depends on what situation you are wanting & if you want to pay/ how much

Personally I would take on something like him he sounds workable just a bit quirky ! Typical tb really :)

However I think if you were hoping someone would take him on as like a loan to take to their yard & pay for him you would be lucky to find someone decent who would take him on & pay for everything themselves

Hope this makes sense !!

Spider65

Visit site
Can he jump? Is he okay hacking? What does he enjoy? Or does he not like anything? It is always difficult to find someone to ride a horse that is not straight forward. Can you afford o keep him and just find someone to ride him with a small financial input? You could ask your local riding club? I think the really good riders don't need a"quirky " horse to ride. But there may b someone who is a tactful rider whose own horse is injured or retired who can't afford another who may be interested. Advertise in local shops, equestrian shop, the BD forum etc. Be honest and expect silly people to answer but somewhere there hopefully will be someone. Whete are you exactly? Remember someone who has left the horse world for whatever reason will look in different places Mumsnet may find someone,
Keep at it as you obviously care for your horse and I hope you find someone.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I think the two above have covered the usual questions, but I would also ask how competitive is he? Can he win at Elem on a good day?

To be blunt, I think it's quite an ask to find someone who will pay you, either outright or as a loan, to keep a difficult horse that isn't keen on the job, and doesn't really do other jobs, unless it's also competitive. A professional is unlikely to be in a position to 'carry' a horse so unless he is something that can either help them advance or be sold on, they would be in the same boat as you.

Can you get him out with someone else and prove he will go for another rider? Can you think about another job for him? Do you have any thoughts on why he is the way he is?

That said, there is a lid for every pot so it's always worth trying. It may not be the lid you want, though, which complicates matters.

Firewell

Visit site
Is there nothing he enjoys? Whatever he likes best and is easiest at I'd sell him for that job. If it's dressage then market him as a dressage horse, this would be easiest as he has the results. However if you think he would be a hack/companion type sell him as that.
Also you never know who will pop up to come and try him, there might be lots of unsuitable people but there might also be that one person who is perfect for him. You say he is quirky but lots of quirky horses find their niche with people who love them for what they are, it's a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff when selling and also writing a good advert to attract the right person (and not put them off!!).
I bought two supposedly 'quirky' horses.One a crazy little mare who would throw a spaz when schooled, who was a cow to handle and head shaked like a loony being hacked, but we clicked and she turned out fab. Current boy a stiff (lame) 4yr old ex racer with a penchant for spinning suddenly and bogging off bronching. He's the best horse I have owned. Both gave me enormous pleasure, success and confidence.
Like Tarrsteps said there is a lid for every pot :).

dressagelove

Visit site
I cant really judge from that when you are talking about getting a rider are you thinking to pay to ride him at yours or are you thinking to pay the rider to have at their yard
I think it very much depends on what situation you are wanting & if you want to pay/ how much

Personally I would take on something like him he sounds workable just a bit quirky ! Typical tb really :)

However I think if you were hoping someone would take him on as like a loan to take to their yard & pay for him you would be lucky to find someone decent who would take him on & pay for everything themselves

Hope this makes sense !!

No I mean I was thinking about giving him to a rider as a ride, so I would be paying for his keep etc, but would still own the horse, they would have the ride. I'm not fussed about keeping him with me, as long as I have final say over what he does etc.

I think the two above have covered the usual questions, but I would also ask how competitive is he? Can he win at Elem on a good day?

To be blunt, I think it's quite an ask to find someone who will pay you, either outright or as a loan, to keep a difficult horse that isn't keen on the job, and doesn't really do other jobs, unless it's also competitive. A professional is unlikely to be in a position to 'carry' a horse so unless he is something that can either help them advance or be sold on, they would be in the same boat as you.

Can you get him out with someone else and prove he will go for another rider? Can you think about another job for him? Do you have any thoughts on why he is the way he is?

That said, there is a lid for every pot so it's always worth trying. It may not be the lid you want, though, which complicates matters.

I'm not looking for someone to pay me, I would be looking to give him as a ride as mentioned above. Yes he could win an elementary on a good day. If his head is right, I think he could go further. I don't think there is another job for him, he is too sensitive. He hacks but he is silly and spooky, I wouldn't sell him as a hacker or companion.

I don't think there is anything he enjoys really, apart from dossing around the field, and even then he still looks glum. He doesn't like to let me catch him, and isn't really a people horse. He had a troubled and unsettled few early years before he came to me, and other than that I don't know his history, so there may be something in his past which made him the way he is I don't know. Like I said, I have worked hard at building a relationship with him and he trusts me now more than anyone. He doesn't jump no, he's never done anything other than dressage with me.

He is a puzzle. A talented and confident youngster who wanted to put the time in might do well with him, who knows. I'd just like him to be happy with someone who can bring out the best in him.

To be fair, I run things at my yard extremely laid back, you never know, he might prefer a much more structured and regimented life to be happy...

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Difficult one. Not going to be many a pros cup of tea, because with all due respect, elementary is nothing to get excited about for them. If he was competing at Medium it would be a lot easier to find someone with the desire to have a horse to compete at this level.

Why doesn't he jump? Obviously as a TB he is going to have a much greater market to people who may want to do a combination of dressage/jumping. Can't say there are too many dressage purists who would even consider an OTTB (PS and sister excluded!!).

Ginn

Visit site
It also depends on what makes him "quirky". What is it that he does? What issues do you have on a normal day? You say you have to ride him tactfully but what does this actually mean? Does he accept the hand? Leg? Does he buck? Rear? Spin? What triggers his quirky behaviors and how do you manage them? Could some of his quirks be greenness (mine at the age of 10 needs tactful riding at times and if I take her somewhere new she is a nightmare for the first 20 mins but it is entirely down to greenness as she has the mileage of a 4/5yo in terms of exposure and experience!)

I think if you could give us a clearer picture on these things it will be much easier to advise.

Also Has he hunted? XC'd? SJ? and if so how did he do at these? Would he show?

dressagelove

Visit site
It also depends on what makes him "quirky". What is it that he does? What issues do you have on a normal day? You say you have to ride him tactfully but what does this actually mean? Does he accept the hand? Leg? Does he buck? Rear? Spin? What triggers his quirky behaviors and how do you manage them? Could some of his quirks be greenness (mine at the age of 10 needs tactful riding at times and if I take her somewhere new she is a nightmare for the first 20 mins but it is entirely down to greenness as she has the mileage of a 4/5yo in terms of exposure and experience!)

I think if you could give us a clearer picture on these things it will be much easier to advise.

Also Has he hunted? XC'd? SJ? and if so how did he do at these? Would he show?

Well I guess when you put it like that. There is not much a pro couldn't deal with. He is very spooky and sensitive, for example, if at a competition, some horses ran across neighbouring field, he would completely lose focus and wouldn't get it back, he would stay tense and the test would be a waste of time - but perhaps a lot of dressage horses are like that...
If he gets his knickers in a twist over something, it can be very challenging to get him focussed back ont he job in hand, and if forced to concentrate, he will buck - nothing major, run sideways a little, exit arena, but obviously when he does that, a competitive text is out of the question.

He has never hunted, and only schooled over jumps and been XC schooling once a while ago. It's not something I do anymore - and Ive had him 5 years. He is fine accepting the hand and legs, but like I say, if something upsets him, you might as well get off and go home. He's not great at venues where he can see the warm up ring, being able to see the other horses gets him tense and anxious. But I'm not a seasonal competitor and with a few more miles on his clock, that may improve.

I do feel like if he went to a pro who had him out again and again, and had more skill and knowledge to deal with his quirks, they may do better.....

Spider65

Visit site
Yes but a pro does not need a horse schooled to elementary who has concentration problems. I think you need to Expand his repatoire. Many horses who can not focus on dressage find show jumping or XC easier to concentrate on. If e can jump then he has the potential to be an all rounder. He is schooled to a reasonable level and with time and experience likeyou say will improve. My advice is get him jumping and keep advertising , I do hope you find someone because he sounds nice

dressagelove

Visit site
Yes but a pro does not need a horse schooled to elementary who has concentration problems. I think you need to Expand his repatoire. Many horses who can not focus on dressage find show jumping or XC easier to concentrate on. If e can jump then he has the potential to be an all rounder. He is schooled to a reasonable level and with time and experience likeyou say will improve. My advice is get him jumping and keep advertising , I do hope you find someone because he sounds nice

Sounds like a plan, however I don't jump anymore - don't enjoy it, scares me, life's too short to do something that stresses me out so much! Perhaps if I carry on with the DR and try and get him medium and beyond, getting him focussing better and then find someone for him... but like I say time is my limiter and I don't have enough to put into that sort of work.

DonkeyClub

Visit site
Poor concentration and spooking can simply be caused by the horse not being connected properly between leg and hand& not truely in front of the leg. Therefore I would see what he can do with another rider .

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Shame you're not nearer me- I'd have gladly have ridden/competed him for you and given you a bit towards his keep. I'm no pro though :p but do adore dressage and don't mind a bit of a challenge so long as it's not dangerous!

Try advertising for a rider for him on BD Classified- I'm sure you'll get interest!x