Selling trailer advice?! Eeeep!

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Hi all,

I want to sell my trailer as my tow vechile is about to die/be made 2 wheel drive soon so rather than mess about looking for another car than can legally tow the trailer, I would rather spend the money on lorry :)

Now, I live in the middle of nowhere and am home alone all day, to be honest and worried about advertising locally and getting unsavoury types turn up to scout the place out :eek::eek:

Is ebay a better option? As at least ebay have details of their customers so if anything happened we could trace? Also can check feedback before they come?! I know I will lose some of the purchase price in fees tho :(:(

Am I just totally over reacting?!!!

Also, do people think there is any difference in what I will get for it if I sell it now (ie to be used in the 'summer' :rolleyes:) rather than waiting till I get the lorry which could be Aug/Sept/Oct?!!

Thanks all, any experiances good or bad would be great to hear!

Elle :)

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
Not sure am allowed to say?! Lets just say I can tow it legally with certain weights of car without my B+E ;)

I have been looking for lorry places that might take it in part exchange (I know I would get less for it but no hastle of folks trapsing round SkyWalker Towers) But so far haven't found anywhere :( Anyone know of any??!!

ROG

Visit site
Not sure am allowed to say?! Lets just say I can tow it legally with certain weights of car without my B+E ;)

I have been looking for lorry places that might take it in part exchange (I know I would get less for it but no hastle of folks trapsing round SkyWalker Towers) But so far haven't found anywhere :( Anyone know of any??!!

You can say because I am asking so it is not breaking site advertising rules

Carefreegirl

Visit site
I sold my ifor on eBay. I would recommend that if you do decide the eBay route do cash on collection and a small sum ie £25 that must be paid through paypal within 24 hrs of auction ending, non refundable. This should cover your selling fees if they then pull out. If you want rid of it quick I would say this is your best bet :)

Andiamo

Visit site
I recently bought a used Ifor 510 trailer after seeing it advertised on a local website. I rang up, I met the owner at the site where it was kept - a rural field - and agreed to buy it. I picked it up within a few days, and paid cash for it.

When ringing up about used trailers, I wanted the following info: the serial number for the chassis off the trailer (so I could check with Ifor / TER that it was legitimate, and get year of manufacture etc), and wanted to know if they had the had the keys for the hitch lock. The buyer will need this info to get insurance quotes for the trailer, so that it is covered from day 1. If a seller refused to give me this info, I assumed the trailer / seller was dodgy, and would not proceed with the sale.

I would have thought that a legitimate buyer would come across as such on the phone if they ring up about it? If you offer it at a reasonable price and it is in good condition, you will get it sold quickly.

As a precaution, whilst advertising it, could you pop an insurance approved wheel clamp on it / hitch lock - and include those in the selling price? I have a Bulldog clamp, bought it at Halfords, it cost about £95, but you could recover the cost of this when you sell it. It will at least give you peace of mind that the trailer is secure if anyone comes around to look.

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
As a precaution, whilst advertising it, could you pop an insurance approved wheel clamp on it / hitch lock - and include those in the selling price? I have a Bulldog clamp, bought it at Halfords, it cost about £95, but you could recover the cost of this when you sell it. It will at least give you peace of mind that the trailer is secure if anyone comes around to look.

It has 2 on it, a Bulldog on the hitch lock and one that attaches to the wheel, (has special nuts on one back wheel that it fits on) it is insured too, is more the house/horses/fact I am alone here all day I am worried about rather than specifically someone nicking the trailer :eek:

Good point about securtiy questions, I have all the paperwork for it and it is currently reg with Ifor under my name etc so yes if people DON'T ask these questions then that would be suspicious :)

ROG

Visit site
:D Its a Ifor Mare & Foal trailer (HB401) Have had it downplated to 1400kg so it can be towed behind cars with MAM of 2095kg or less (and unladen weight of more than 1400kg)

WOW !! - that is just what many on here are looking for

I'll look out for those asking about such - I might search some recent threads ...

A few may have to downplate it a little further but that is no problem

Andiamo

Visit site
I looked on ebay as well for trailers, but most trailers were too far away for it to be practical to go see them before the auction ran out. Some trailers on there were dodgy as well - sellers refusing to give serial number, and refused to let you see it at all, and demanded cash into their bank accounts etc, when I couldn't even be sure the trailer existed!!

I liked the local option - using a local website - you could also try Preloved, Gumtree etc - because it meant whatever was advertised, was actually near enough for me to view it. Also, it meant that the seller didn't lose lots on ebay fees etc, so there was a bit of negotiation in the price.

Good to hear you have locks on it.

If someone sounds unsavoury on the phone, or your intuition tells you something is wrong - then don't give them your address or let them come around.
If someone rings, ask what it will be used for, how long have they had their horse, what do they do with it, where do they keep it, - a genuine horse owner will have genuine answers. Anyone that is dodgy will falter a bit...

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
Thanks Andiamo :)

If my car could tow it (it might be able to a short distance) do you think people would find it odd if they wanted to see it and I met them somewhere? Or is that going to make me look odd? As I said I do have all its paperwork etc so its easy to prove I own it, but do you think people would be put off?!!

shellonabeach

Visit site
I will be selling my Cheval Liberte 1003XL as soon as the floor has been replaced. It has been downrated to 1200kg but I have the original plate as well with 1600kg on it. (I have decided to keep the Fourtrak!!)

Sorry OP I thought this was in the towing clinic...

Last edited: