Selling very difficult pony

Cop-Pop

Visit site
YO is putting her Sec A up for sale next week - it's his last chance before she talks to the vet about having him pts. He's only 5 but if he can't kick you he'll bite you
crazy.gif
He's about 12hh so he really isn't suitable to go to a child - he has something like sweetitch (vet says it isn't but has all signs of it) and when he gets worked up will just fling himself on the floor. Not good if he's got a child on his back!

He might turn out ok if he was worked regularly, had a very strict routine and a strict person working with him but YO doesn't have the time or the inclination anymore. She's been kicked and bitten enough, and tbh would rather spend her time with nicer horses. She thinks he'd be a good jumping or driving pony.

He's been up for sale and 99% of people wanted him as a first pony (despite ad very clearly saying he wasn't suitable for it) and the other 2 people were dealers who didn't have a good repuation. She doesnt want him passed piller to post and potentially ending up in abusive homes which is why she's talking to the vet about being pts. She doesn't want to dump him on a charity.

So - in my rambling way
tongue.gif
is there a market for a potenial show/driving pony with a serious attitude problem? He does have his sweet moments - my little mare is his mum so he's got some good genes in him
tongue.gif
but when he's bad he's evil
crazy.gif

gumpatrump

Visit site
Has she tried advertising him on project horses. She can be totally honest about the pony and advertise to a market of people that are looking for a project horse to work with?

Cop-Pop

Visit site
She's seen prject horses but not sure if she will put him on there. He tried cornering her today which is why she's moving so quickly.

Treacle - I've got no idea. Not much!!

aoibhin - she was told he would make a good driving pony, personally I wouldn't want to be behind him
tongue.gif
but a lady in the village that used to do scurries (I think, clueless about horse driving) said he would be good because he's bold, fast and forward thinking.

Sparkles

Visit site
For a low budget price you'll find somewhere for him, but be brutally honest otherwise he WILL get passed round pillar to post.
Or sell as a companion/possible project pony.

Have you considered sending him away to get schooled or putting him on sales livery?

ladyt25

Visit site
I don't think anyone should have a healthy 5 yo PTS and i am sure there is someone who would take him. Myabe he just sin;t suited to children and need firmer handling and should be given to someone with driving experience who could make him a usuable pony.

I would say I;d take him but, in reality I don;t need a 12hh welshie although maybe he'd learn some manners put with or 'herd'! Still, if it came to it and the only other option was having him PTS then i would step in as do have the land and the patience to take something like this on and also have a very knowledgeable neighbour who breaks ponies to drive. I think it is too soon to give up on this pony. 5 yo is still so young!

vieshot

Visit site
kicks, bites, throws himself on the floor in temper tantrum, no good to anyone IMO, if it were mine id probably PTS, five years old or 35 years old.

L

lilym

[ QUOTE ]
kicks, bites, throws himself on the floor in temper tantrum, no good to anyone IMO, if it were mine id probably PTS, five years old or 35 years old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here - I have a 5yo welsh C she is too hot for children, has sweetitch and is in short a fecking nightmare.......I am considering pts for her too......

Brandysnap

Visit site
Hi Zalacca,
I totally agree with you that it would be such a shame for a young pony to be put down before he had chance to prove himself.
I also agree that his behaviour is extreme, as he flings himself to floor, but suspect a veterinary problem? It could be worth persuading YO-owner to ask a second opinion.
Hoping very much that other forum friends have experience of this, + can help more than me (my own view was that it was head-shaking, but then kicking + biting doesn't fit in with my own limited experience of head-shakers)
He may well be suitable as a companion on an experienced yard.
Hoping we can all help your mare's youngster, appreciate your difficult position, but i for one would like to see the lad given a decent chance. (And if all else fails, i'm sure rescue places will find home/keep him, as long as he's healthy).
My best recommendation is to get a good local horsey vet in, who will know YO. (Did she have him vetted? Did she buy him for her kids? Or for driving/showing?)
We can never learn the whole picture from a forum, but my gut feel is a young pony should be given every chance. All bests, BS x

Brandysnap

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone should have a healthy 5 yo PTS and i am sure there is someone who would take him. Myabe he just sin;t suited to children and need firmer handling and should be given to someone with driving experience who could make him a usuable pony.

I would say I;d take him but, in reality I don;t need a 12hh welshie although maybe he'd learn some manners put with or 'herd'! Still, if it came to it and the only other option was having him PTS then i would step in as do have the land and the patience to take something like this on and also have a very knowledgeable neighbour who breaks ponies to drive. I think it is too soon to give up on this pony. 5 yo is still so young!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi LadyT (sorry posts crossed)

Me too! BS x

Sparkles

Visit site
For the price you'd pay putting it to sleep if she's seriously considering this option, you may as well give it away for free to someone that has the time and experience but maybe not the funds for a project horse.

treacle86

Visit site
I think having him pts is last resort , But the chestnut in my signature had a long spell of having tantrums and rearing and flipping himself over on top of me !!
had teeth , back , feet , everything checked , nothing wrong .

lasted around 1 year , i couldnt hack out , well very far at least !! i was i tears every day , contacted some professionals ,none of them wanted to know ,and just as i was about to really givbe up and was thinking of pts he just stopped doing it , and has hacked out great alone and in company ever since.
If you PM yours or your friends details I will pass them to a friend who rehabilitates bad, sick , injured horses and ponies , she is in toddington area . She would prob break him to drive .
xxx

miss_bird

Visit site
Very hard situation to be in, i would also get a full vetting done on him, if all clear maybe send to a schooling yard for a period.
I just feel everything should be tried first before putting to sleep a young pony

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Just to confirm - I didn't breed this pony, I own his mum now but YO bought her when she was pregnant. She's spent a fair bit of money on they vet already - he's had bloods taken, skin scrapings taken, back assessments etc. He was gelded early because he was trying to mount his mum at 4 months - at 12 hours old he was already as bold as brass! I love the little guy but I'd never own him.

The problem with giving him away is she needs to advertise - and when people see free they come running regardless of if they can cope with him
crazy.gif
Neither of us know anyone who would take him.

Cop-Pop

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just out curiosity...how much is she asking?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't know - I think she just wants him gone before he can either hurt her or someone else. The vet is coming Friday (vacs and teeth) and she's discussing it with him then. She won't have it done then but she wants his opinion on it etc. I do know that if someone buys him she's making them sign a disclaimer.

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
I don't think she should have him pts, I always think that whilst this pony has 'these' problems, there is also someone else outthere who can sort them out, just because this YO cannot understand or figure out this pony, doesn't mean that he is un-suitable for someone else.

Pls keep her trying as I am sure someone is out there.

x

QUICKFIRE

Visit site
I had a sec c, stunning looking pony, very talented jumper,and was a very good scurry driving pony, but much like yours if he didn't get you with his teeth, he would get you with his feet, but couldn't be trusted.
I sold him at auction stating he was not a childs pony, and he went to an adult for driving. Some months later
I heard that he had been sold on from that home and that a young person had gone into the field to catch another pony, he attacked the person and bit half thier face off, and that they had to have reconstructive surgery.
I think what I am trying to say is you may not be able to find a forever home for him, and being a pony may end up with a child handler, and maybe the worst will happen. In hindsight I would have had him PTS when I owned him, he was PTS very quickly after what he had done.

Cop-Pop

Visit site
He's friendly with other horses but he chews - he got in with my mare and she beat the sh*t out of him because he'll stand there biting the other horse until they react then he runs away. YO's horses are all lovely and put up with him - mine didn't
blush.gif
grin.gif
He's never had laminitus or anything but we've got pants grazing.

Dolcé

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TBH He would be better PTS than end up being passed from pillar to post and probably battered on the way! He doesn't sound like the safest of ponies and it is all well and good people saying they will take him on but what about when they find they can't manage the problem. Unless the YO is a complete numpty and the behaviour is just a youngster taking the p then that is different but I am assuming the YO knows her stuff. I would have any of mine PTS, even the youngsters if I couldn't keep them for any reason, better that than them being mistreated somewhere. The PTS scenario lasts a few seconds, better than a lifetime of misery! Welshies are my thing, I have 3 youngsters including 2 colts who are all perfectly well behaved so I am not saying this lightly. The one thing I would suggest through experience of an aggressive pony that was due to be PTS because he was so bad to handle, is an RA. The one I used sorted him so quickly and he has never reverted to the same behaviour, could be that a couple of visits at £30 a go or so would sort him out for good. Well behaved ponies at least stand a chance of a better future if they have to be rehomed.

Re the skin problem: I have a homebred youngster that got absolutely soaked through in his first winter and his skin/coat has never recovered, he also appears to have sweetitch but I don't think it is, neither of his parents show any sign of it. I am convinced his scurfy coat and itching is sown to that first winter when he lost chunks of his coat (still does in winter if not fully rugged), he was tested for everything but nothing ever showed up. We keep him rugged all year round and that seems to keep it under control as long as he doesn't get wet.

Cop-Pop

Visit site
He's kept rugged 24/7 and it seems to be working so far - it's the first full year she's managed to keep his rugs on him.

What is an RA?

Dolcé

Visit site
sorry, Intelligent horsemanship recommended associate (Monty Roberts/Kelly Marks) Mine was a gelding that was cut late and thought he was a stallion - and nasty with it - he attacked on a regular basis if you looked at him wrong! Rearing was a major issue as he would rear and box at you, especially when being led. The RA came out and he reared once with her, he has never reared since! She took him for 3 weeks and started him for me and he is a completely different pony. He came back a total softie, can be very forward going but has never shown aggression since. He was very insecure and thought it was the only way he could express himself. I suppose it depends WHY the pony is behaving the way he is.

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Thanks - I'll speak to her about it. She doesn't want to have him pts but there are hundreds of good Sec A ponies out there for sale etc, you hear so many horror stories about ponies being sold on and on. She doesn't want to be responsible for him hurting someone else either.

Aoibhin

www.Emmaevans.barefootbooks.com
SWA's previous owner & myself have already agreed that should i not be able to care for him any longer & if she cant buy him back he will be PTS, he is only about 9 but has been abused to the point that he has fear of everything (including his own shadow, which would be funny if it wasnt so distressing to see)

sometimes despite age, breeding ect the best thing for the animal is to not be passed on to suffer.

foxylox

New User
Visit site
If the owner had him pts at least she would know for sure that he would not be passed from pillar to post and mis-treated. Although a very sad and difficult decision at least she could sleep at night knowing that he is safe(albeit dead) and not going to hurt anyone. However there are homes out there that are lovely and understanding for these types of horses and ponies, difficult to find but they are there.

horsesfornow

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here - I have a 5yo welsh C she is too hot for children, has sweetitch and is in short a fecking nightmare.......I am considering pts for her too......

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my god!!! I can't believe that these owners are thinking about putting these ponies to sleep!

I do Parelli , I know some people do not like Parelli on this forum but it has worked great for me and a lot of horses I had in with BIG problems that would of ended up dead!!!!

If you need any help please PM I am happy to help.