Selling very difficult pony

Aoibhin

www.Emmaevans.barefootbooks.com
just as a thought for all those that say without hesitation "how can the owner even consider PTS" take a long look at your beloved animals now just for a moment think what you would do if they had big issues & you couldnt keep them.

PTS & know they are safe (half of you condem those that sell/loan/give away older horses) or sell on & risk them being abused/harmed/passed around. most older horses are less at risk from this than much younger but more problematic ones.

this isnt a dig, just a thought inducing post. i wish to god id chosen to put Amber down rather than have her sold on and harmed before being distroyed anyway at 12yo, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

natalia

Visit site
HOw's he bred? would he show to top level? TBH kicking and biting can be over come. I have a mare who is fairly savage but after a god 3 months of bonding she's no longer a threat to me (but to anyone else thats a different story) but she's 15.3hh comp horse who will jump anything, so it can almost be forgiven. I agree re getting a RA out, my mare was helped greatly with groundwork and changed in one session. A lot of handling problems relate to the way the horse was brought up. I have found that homebred horses (like mine was by her last owner) tend to have more issues due tot he fact they haven't been intergrated in to herd properly, been told their place by senior/larger members. Its sounds very much like your little chap does not know his place, as the bigger horses just stand there and let him bite them, so when he tries it with a human its hardly surprising. When he does it does she tell him off? I know having teeth and hooves flying at you isn't pleasant, but if anything he needs more firm handling consistently. Half of the battle with my mare was completely ignoring her when she threatened to bite or kick and only reprimanding it when she actually did. I wore lots of layers, big leather chaps ect. when handling her so if she got me it didn't hurt, then went back at her. She has not bitten me again since I bit her back on her ear, nor will she try and kick me again after our last argument. Might sound a bit mad but I tried to think a bit like a horse, ie. if one goes for the other, they fight back. This combined with her learning to feel a bit more secure around me groundwork wise has worked wonders.

Sparkles

Visit site
Could you pm me some more details or photos please? May know someone but can't say for definate till I have a chat later.

wizbit

Visit site
it p*sses me off. wat gives anyone the right to PTS a healthy animal just because they dont have the knowledge/experience to handle it?! people should consider this before taking on any horse, especially a youngster, its not all fluffiness and fairytales.

wench

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
it p*sses me off. wat gives anyone the right to PTS a healthy animal just because they dont have the knowledge/experience to handle it?! ]

[/ QUOTE ] one would assume that any YO shoukd be fairly knowlegable...

fatpiggy

Visit site
Given that he was cut very early, has he been checked to see if they got it all removed? Alot of this behaviour sounds very riggy. The tantrums and throwing himself on the floor isn't uncommon in young animals and he sounds very frustrated and unhappy. Could he have been knocked about by someone "behind closed doors"? The sweet-itch that isn't could be an allergy? Think how badly some children react to E numbers (orange colouring quite frequently). I know someone else with a young welshie with a very similar problem and so far no-one has got to the bottom of it.

As you quite rightly say, the market is flooded with section As so would anyone want to spend £££ on professional help for him? A very sad situation for all concerned.

cariadssogreat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I had a sec c, stunning looking pony, very talented jumper,and was a very good scurry driving pony, but much like yours if he didn't get you with his teeth, he would get you with his feet, but couldn't be trusted.
I sold him at auction stating he was not a childs pony, and he went to an adult for driving. Some months later
I heard that he had been sold on from that home and that a young person had gone into the field to catch another pony, he attacked the person and bit half thier face off, and that they had to have reconstructive surgery.
I think what I am trying to say is you may not be able to find a forever home for him, and being a pony may end up with a child handler, and maybe the worst will happen. In hindsight I would have had him PTS when I owned him, he was PTS very quickly after what he had done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly - anyone who has had the misfortune to own an animal such as the above, would realise how sensible it is to consider PTS

MagicMelon

Visit site
I also think putting the pony down is not the answer. It sounds like the owner simply doesn't have the time which this pony clearly needs. There will be someone out there who will sort this pony (who is only young!). Just because one person has problems with it, doesn't mean someone else will!

Brandysnap

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think she should have him pts, I always think that whilst this pony has 'these' problems, there is also someone else outthere who can sort them out, just because this YO cannot understand or figure out this pony, doesn't mean that he is un-suitable for someone else.

Pls keep her trying as I am sure someone is out there.

x

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto russoheidi x

The most challenging ones are often the most talented anyway! I've no doubt he will find a good home soon, + be a total star once in hard work in driving world. My farrier loves driving section As! Failing that, i'll have him as companion, + friend for friend's young kids. (Other forum friend offered also)

What i would like to see is support from all forum friends that this baby Sect A, + others, aren't put to sleep cos of attitude. Isn't that what Welshies are all about? And what a great breed. I was a city girl, but got to ride 2 Sect As as a kid in riding school. Both were great fun, but one used to run off when we got on the common (guess which one i wanted to ride?!)

Now please, all forum friends, let's put our energies into educating others about horses, rather than spending hours on computers?

Snowy didn't suit everybody, but he certainly suited me. It was a long time ago, so RIP old friend X.

Best wishes to all, BS x

Brandysnap

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it p*sses me off. wat gives anyone the right to PTS a healthy animal just because they dont have the knowledge/experience to handle it?! ]

[/ QUOTE ] one would assume that any YO shoukd be fairly knowlegable...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Wench, (great name!)
Unfortunately, there's a lot of YOs out there, who aren't even fairly knowledgable. Granted some are, but as more + more have jumped on the bandwagon as agriculture changes, things have changed. Local knowledge is the only answer in finding a good yard, + sounds like you're happy with yours, so that's nice. All bests, BS x

Walrus

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Ditto russoheidi x

The most challenging ones are often the most talented anyway! I've no doubt he will find a good home soon, + be a total star once in hard work in driving world. My farrier loves driving section As! Failing that, i'll have him as companion, + friend for friend's young kids. (Other forum friend offered also)

What i would like to see is support from all forum friends that this baby Sect A, + others, aren't put to sleep cos of attitude. Isn't that what Welshies are all about? And what a great breed. I was a city girl, but got to ride 2 Sect As as a kid in riding school. Both were great fun, but one used to run off when we got on the common (guess which one i wanted to ride?!)

Now please, all forum friends, let's put our energies into educating others about horses, rather than spending hours on computers?

Snowy didn't suit everybody, but he certainly suited me. It was a long time ago, so RIP old friend X.

Best wishes to all, BS x

[/ QUOTE ]

Friend for friend's young kids! Didn't the OP say the pony kicked at one end, bit at the other and cornered the YO! Doesn't sound ideal!

OP - one thing to bear in mind which I think is worth remembering is that if the pony is show quality (and the mane and tail can be kept intact) then natives of any size can be shown by adults. If you are brutaly honest and maybe contact some people in the showing world who are adults who have small natives they may be interested without having to put a child in the equation (same principle I suppose for driving too).

Good Luck

L

lilym

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
kicks, bites, throws himself on the floor in temper tantrum, no good to anyone IMO, if it were mine id probably PTS, five years old or 35 years old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here - I have a 5yo welsh C she is too hot for children, has sweetitch and is in short a fecking nightmare.......I am considering pts for her too......

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my god!!! I can't believe that these owners are thinking about putting these ponies to sleep!

I do Parelli , I know some people do not like Parelli on this forum but it has worked great for me and a lot of horses I had in with BIG problems that would of ended up dead!!!!

If you need any help please PM I am happy to help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would PTS because I am not an irresponsible person who would pass on an animal that could seriously harm a child.....plus the sweet itch is getting worse and that is a dreadful, dreadful condtion making quality of life plummet...

joeanne

Visit site
What about advertising him on the scurrying sites?
That way he would go to an adult, be handled by an adult, and have a purpose in life?
Might be a way forward if he is a nippy little thing?

rara007

Visit site
She may/maynot struggle to find a driving home for him. Generally the option is that a well bred section A is cheap enough without having to work though issues. Could try ringing round the scurry drivers?
We have a 5YO welsh cross, who drives great and has just done his first ridden dressage but sounds similar on the floor and he has very few chances left before PTS. Yes, maybe someone wouldn't have problems with him and have the time/experience to deal with it but I couldn't pass something I know is nasty on. PTS kinder than ending up in bad home.

imafluffybunny

Visit site
Having owned a similar type horse and seeing where it ended up I would PTS if I couldn't find a good home.
I saved a horse from the meat man in Germany, he had become aggresive, I spent a few years re-abilitating him and although he was much better the aggresiveness was still lurking. I sold him with a long loan period and told the loaner EXACTLY what he was like, she bought him and 4 years later I tried to find out how he was getting on. She had loaned him to a really bad riding school where he was worked into the ground and stick thin.
I managed to buy him back and he is currently living out with my broodmares.
He wont think twice about kicking you in the head and if I wasn't in the position to keep him he would def be pts.
Horses like this end up in bad homes, it is kinder to pts.