Selsun/alternative for itchy horses

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Hi all,

Found a few threads on here re using Selsun shampoo for itchy horses, I have a few of them but wanted to know if anyone has had success using it for itchy horses? Specifically sweet itch type itching (tails and scabby manes, not all over and not true sweet itch)

Which brings me to next point, seems a shortage of it so is there anything else similar anyone has used?

Thanks chaps ??

RHM

Visit site
Selsun is brilliant stuff. Head and shoulders do a clinical strength version which is great too but I think they stopped making it annoyingly! Another alternative is Nizerol which is also good.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Yes! It is my go to shampoo for an itchy cob! The ingredient is selenium, which kills mites. I came across a study by Cambridge University years ago which concluded that a 2.5% selenium shampoo was as effective as the mite injection for stopping the itch.
You can usually buy it on Fleabay, and I have purchased it from India before now. Selsun Blue is a weaker strength, and I am not sure that Head and Shoulders contains selenium any more.
If you are using it for the first time, full body, from tips of ears to soles of feet, on day 1, day 5 and day 10 will clear live mites and hatchlings. Affected areas can be spot washed every fortnight or so until clear. Be sure to rinse well. It is a bit labour intensive, but very effective.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
The Nizerol I ordered arrived today, going to use it on the itchy manes and tails but still keen to get some Selsun for my newest Shetland, I think her itchy could well be lice related but she's pretty feral so no idea if I'll be able to bath her or not ?

Reactions: RHM

Nasicus

Visit site
Potentially 5 years old Selsun should still be good, right? Asking for a friend who may or may not have forgotten how old the bottle was until she'd washed two sets of legs with it :oops:

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Being the cheapskate I am I use the Aldi brand of anti-dandruff shampoo on any of our horses that are itchy. Works wonders on mud fever and rain scald as well.

Our old cushings Shetland comes up a treat after an Aldi anti-dandruff shampoo as it settles her flakey skin patches brilliantly.