Sending a horse back legally where do I stand?

silverstar

Visit site
Ive had the horse a month and this week Ive noticed heavy breathing and I can see a heave line so would I be able legally to send the horse back? I bought him from someone who sells a few horses.

Maisy

Visit site
I really think you have to find out *why* he has heavy breathing....

It could be anything that he is allergic to that wasn't present at his previous yard, nor at his vetting. Did you have bloods done? I would think they would show up any kind of steroid if he was taking any before....

silverstar

Visit site
Getting vet out tomorrow but I think hes allergic to rapeseed at the yard in which case do I send him back or move yards? Yes I had bloods done. I cant really afford the meds that he might have to have.

Last edited:

Tinypony

Visit site
I think you're going to get a hard time over this.
It's not the previous owner's fault that you've discovered the horse has an allergy, aggravated by where it's kept now. Unless you can prove it was a previously known condition then you have no right to return it. Obviously.
How much are the meds? Will your insurance cover a referal to a holistic vet like Tim Couzens for example? A lot on insurance policies do, surprisingly enough.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
No, you cannot send him back. If he was fine when you tried him, unless blood tests have been done and you can show that he was under the influence of drugs such as ventipulmin. My mare is 17 and I have had her for ten years. 2 years ago it cost me £1 k treating her for a respiritory condition that the vet said was an allergy. She had never had anything like it before, and has now been free of it for 2 years, so I think it was a virus, not an allergy. But in any case, allergies can arise at any time or age. Moving to a new home could also possibly trigger one.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
after all you've been saying, is this an excuse to get rid ? If they will take the horse back I do think it would be the best thing for him, tbh. Sorry to be blunt.

silverstar

Visit site
ventipulmin is £60 for a tub which lasts roughly 3 weeks. Ive got some left over from last year. I keep getting horses with breathing problems maybe Im a magnet for them.

Maisy

Visit site
My mare only needed 2 tubs earlier on this year though, so get through the pollen phase.....so not an all year cost....

It is unlikely that copd that is bad enough to cause a heave line would occur within a month.....

Umbongo

Visit site
Another for thinking that you will not be able to give the horse back. Unless you asked the seller and they were happy to buy back the horse (unlikely). If you tried the horse and he was fine, had a vetting etc then you don't have a case to send the horse back.

TBH OP , you have spent months on here looking for horses, finally found one, had him a month and haven't reported a single good thing about having him! This sounds like an excuse for you to get rid. Surely you have bonded a bit with him by now?

I would wait until you get the vet out tomorrow. There are alot other products out there to try that may not be as expensive etc. If you think it is the rapeseed fields around you then maybe try to find another yard again? Or help the horse out until the rapeseed season is over?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
after all you've been saying, is this an excuse to get rid ? If they will take the horse back I do think it would be the best thing for him, tbh. Sorry to be blunt.

Oh heck, just realised who the OP is. Yes, completely agree. She just wants rid!

Last edited:

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
thought about it, and I really think you should sell the horse. which is what I said on your last post about hating your yard. If you really don't enjoy it, the horse will know, and he deserves better quite frankly.

Tinypony

Visit site
24th May you said:

"Ive recently moved yards. I wasnt too happy to go back to this yard as my old mare had COPD there. I hear some people are coming back that used to be at this yard but they were bitchy. Im not really keen on staying and unsure what to do. There are no decent yards near me at all. I forgot how bad livery yards can be during my time away from horses."

So I suppose the question is, why do you think his ex owner should be involved at all?

Weezy

Visit site
silverstar is not a troll, she has been around longer than most of you!

In answer to your question OP, no you cannot send him back. My horse has dreadful allergy problems, as do most of the horses at my yard this year. It is annoying but not unmanageable - coughing, snots, spluttering, heaving - ventipulmin and soaked hay, otherwise just ignore, gentle exercise and they get over it. Of course consulting a vet is a good idea, but I don't think you will find it is anything major.

And get a new yard - horses are supposed to be fun.

Blue Rider

Visit site
Reply to OP

If you cannot afford meds that may be required for the welfare of your horse.
Then put simply, you are in NO position to own the horse, nor should you seek another until you are able to afford the basic level of care the horse in entitled to!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Hey SS, I really feel your pain, my Clover has a bout of allergy/something and its reallt frustating when, in your head you had visions of you riding off into the sunset and gelling instantly and everything would be perfect. I'm sorry to hear its not going well, I don't think you have grounds to send boyo back, I think your unhappiness is due to not great yards and stress, which I sympathise with - I've been there. I'm sure the vet will help you out once they come.

As an aside, once all has settled down (which I'm sure it will) would be really nice if you could join in on one of the camps that are held over the summer - which is what i plan to do, nothing like a mini break to get that bond.

For those being unkind please do not forget that SS spent a lot of money on her new horse and now it seems to have a few issues (which I don't believe are down to a bad seller) and she was very excited after looking for a long time. I think its entirely natural to now feel despondant and really down when things aren't working out very well/easily. She isn't a troll but a very nice lady whose luck is a bit off atm.