Sending away to foal

MontyandZoom

Visit site
Hi there, I haven't posted for a while and have never had much luck getting posts from the breeding board......but here goes nothing!

My 14.3hh 16yo argentine tb ex-polo mare Zoom is in foal to Norway de la Lande (16.1hh SF sj stallion). She lives with my mum in France as I am studying.

My mum is quite novice with horses but has done a beautiful job and Zoom is looking amazing. She is due to foal 10th of May but I think I'm going to send her away to foal. The vet recommended a man about 20 minutes away who offers a foaling service and, although the vet isn't worried about the foaling, due to the size of the stallion and the Zoom's age she is slightly more high risk.

I just feel like it would be easier if my mum doesn't have the worry and if something does go wrong, intervention will be quick. What are peoples experiences of sending mares away to foal??

The vet also seems to be fine about travelling Zoom when she is 10 days off her due date but what are your thoughts on this?? (she is an excellent loader and traveller).

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I have never done it, but I know a friend who is considering this option because they may not be there if there is a problem. My mare foaled yesterday at 9.15am & I was unable to be there. Another livery saw her & got the YO as she did not have a clue what to do. I spoke to her on the phone & explained not to get involved unless it looked like she was struggling. There were 2 issues, 1) She was not permitted to get up in her own time. I knew she was tired from the pregnancy & if I had been there I would have understood she needed this rest time. 2) They took it for granted that because he was at the milk bar making sucking noises he had actually latched onto the teat.

I am luckier then most as a teenager I spend my springs & early summers with a constent supply of foaling mares. I was taught never, never assume, see it for yourself. See the foal latch onto the the teat, see that all the afterbirth has been expelled & check the foal bowl movements are working. So if you are worried then send her away, but check the place out first. My mare went away to a stud to be AI'd & came back with a long gash on the inside of her thigh which they never treated & never informed me about. I think it was 6 buckets of water before the blood was washed out of her tail. She was lucky the gash did not become infected. I have heard other mare owners complain about the treatment their mares received, so be cautious & check them out.

MontyandZoom

Visit site
Thanks so much for the advice :)

My mum went up there last week and she said that it isn't 'fancy' in terms of the buildings are old etc but the man was very nice and spent alot of time explaining to my mum what the process would be.

He had some very smart mares there (the national stud in St Lo recommends him) with nice healthy foals at foot.

He also has a pet pig called Ninette that lives in the house with him and his wife - I know that shouldn't make a difference but it certainly made me like him more! :D

jennygw

Visit site
I sent my mare away to foal & it was the best decision I could have made. No worries or stress for me and therefore also for my very precious mare.
A very experienced team helped her foal a very big colt with no issues, made sure every base was covered, called me immediately, so I could be there to see him stand. They called the vet to ensure she was totally comfortable & kept her & him for 5 days till they were ready to travel home. Worth every penny of foaling fee & livery. Happy, healthy & very easy!!!

darkwaters

Visit site
We often take mares to foal and all the owners have said they appreciate their mares are foaling with experienced people (there are always at least 3 people on hand) and it's much less stressful for them!

We always call the owner when the mare sets off the foaling alarm so they can get there to see their precious new foal arrive and it also gets filmed so they have a record of the very first moments of the new arrivals life. Seems to be very popular!

If I wasn't confident I would definitely send my mare to an experienced person/stud.

Spring Feather

Visit site
If you or your mum are not able to go on foalwatch then yes I'd opt for sending the mare to stud to foal down. Foalwatch really takes it out of you so I fully understand those who work/have lives away from the horses can't realistically be watching 24/7. It takes it out of me and I milk test so I have a short timeframe as to when they're going to foal. I think you are being very sensible. I can't fathom those who aren't able to go on foalwatch and have nothing set up to have it done for them. The cost and expense to get that little one conceived and incubated for 11 months, well to risk it all going wrong and with the possibility of losing one or both of the horses after all that seems crazy to me.

MontyandZoom

Visit site
Thanks so much for all the replies.

I am feeling very confident that this is the right thing to do now :) I don't want my mum to have to stay up all night for weeks and she doesn't have any experience so I'd rather Zoom was in the care of someone who has seen and assisted with hundreds of foalings.

The man at the foaling place is going to call her as soon as Zoomy foals so my mum can get straight over there so she will still feel involved.

Now I just have to deal with my lack of fingernails as we get closer to the event......scary times!!!!!!!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I didnt send my mare away .

I found foal watch dead easy but then my mare is outside my front door and had cctv on

There is always a chance of complications but you cant beat foaling at home seeing it first hand .

Having done it once I would opt for this every time .
even had cctv fitted, but sadly i overlooked a contraction the night before i missed the actual birth by max 10 mins tho foal very hot wet as was the after birth .

Its an awesome:D sight when you are the first to see the foal :D

one tip i learnt in the last 3-4 weeks give her raspberry leaves they help the milk yeald.

Last edited:

amy_b

Visit site
If you have any doubt I would send her away, if nothing else should there be any problems you can be certain you did everything you could.

with regard to seeing it I do agree, but over the health of your mare and foal its a small price to pay!! Maybe they would ring when she looks very close or even film it for you if you ask? if they have permanent CCTV they might be able to tape it relitively easily :)
good luck!

Mega

Visit site
I couldn't agree more, if your mums not experienced sending your mare away is the best option for everyone, you, your mum, your mare & the foal.
My only comment would be that I was recommended that my mate was using the stable she was to foal in (& be one the yard) 6wks prior to due date, 1 because they can go early & 2 to help the mare's bodburp become accustom to the micro organisms on that farm/stable. (hope that makes sense)
Good luck we'd love to see pics when your foal arrives :)

carmenlucy123

Visit site
Echo the above, in the nicest way don't let "selfish" thoughts of seeing the foal get in the way of what is best for your mare! You don't need to question yourself and your abilities if anything goes wrong
I lost my mare but I can say I did the best for her and paid alot to ensure she was safe and for that I was spared my foal due to the experts on hand she was as fit as a flee, but no-one could of saved my mare BUT at least I know that saves you alot of gief and self questioning!
Wishing you the best it's very exiting time! But it drags on doesn't it!