Sending horse away for schooling

Inky1986

Visit site
I would love to hear from those who have sent their horses away for training.

I purchased my 6yr old OTT gelding almost 12months ago, and whilst I’m pleased with his progress it is very slow going due to my other commitments (FT work & little kids).

Recently I’ve been toying with the idea of sending him away (8-10 weeks) to get some consistent schooling put into him.
One of the other liveries said this would be a waste of time as when he came back to me we’d simply regress to where we left off. I’m hoping if I have lessons with the new trainer this won’t be the case.

Would love to hear others experiences - good or bad.

paddi22

Visit site
That's quite an odd thing for a livery to say and it smacks a bit of buried jealousy and a bit of a dig at you at the same time. Every horse benefits from being schooled for a few months by a good pro. any I've seen sent away for that length of time became way more established, build the right muscle and strength, improved their balance and progressed so much in their education. the horse won't regress to where you left off. when it comes back with better balance and strength you will find it easier to ride. if you get lessons with the trainer regularly on your yard then you will quickly make huge progress as the trainer will have a good understanding of the horse and can guide you in the best way to ride it. sending a horse off to a good pro is money never wasted, it benefits the horse so much.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I doubt if you'd need to send them away or that period of time, that's a bit over the top & would cost loads of money. Sort yourself out a really good rider/trainer, someone you trust & send for 2/3 weeks and see how he goes. You need a reliable and trust worthy person as their are plenty out there who promise plenty & do very little. I sent on of mine to someone some years ago, we had an issue with him & in 4 days the problem was sorted & it has never recurred. Remember there a lot of sharks out there who promise the world and keep charging you for things they aren't doing. Most important thing is to pick the right trainer.

hobo

Visit site
I am with paddie and in the same position as you Inki. I bought a new horse middle of last year and though I meant to buy a 8-10 year old I bought a green 5yr old. Once home I found him a bit much after 17 years riding one horse. I found a good yard and trainer and he spent time there and it has helped me and him. He is schooled and hacked and I have lessons and hack with them and they have guided me through my first couple of dressage tests.
So yes go for it if you can find a yard you are happy with and one where you can at least do a couple of lessons a week with the same trainer that is riding him you will not regret it.

canteron

Visit site
Really think what you want, no point in your horse moving forward if you don’t!! Do you want life experience / jumping confidence / better canter? Then work out with yard how to work towards that.

My 5yo was backed at a good dressage yard to give the initial start - and is now going to a yard where they have masses of safe hacking and lots going on so she can see “life” but not necessarily improve her paces.
Next year I hope to send her back to the dressage yard to work on canter confidence!

I think the problem is when you just send them with no clear goals or direction!

Last edited:

eahotson

Visit site
I doubt if you'd need to send them away or that period of time, that's a bit over the top & would cost loads of money. Sort yourself out a really good rider/trainer, someone you trust & send for 2/3 weeks and see how he goes. You need a reliable and trust worthy person as their are plenty out there who promise plenty & do very little. I sent on of mine to someone some years ago, we had an issue with him & in 4 days the problem was sorted & it has never recurred. Remember there a lot of sharks out there who promise the world and keep charging you for things they aren't doing. Most important thing is to pick the right trainer.
Agree.One hundred per cent.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
My two youngsters are going away for professional training in August and will return next year for backing. The trainer was recommended by their breeder. I‘m in my sixties and although fit as a butcher’s dog I only want to ride mannerly horses that have benefitted from a sound early education. Once they are backed and riding away I have a local instructor lined up to continue their training and develop my skills.

littleshetland

Visit site
It's a good idea but very dependant on who/where you send the horse. Ive done this previously with youngsters although not for as long as you intend as it can be very expensive. On the plus side though, I would turn up once or twice a week for lessons on the horse with lovely facilities (indoor school for horrible weather..) and the whole experience of being sent to another yard and regular work was very beneficial for the horse. But as I stated earlier, it's got to be with someone who you really trust to do a good job. I was very lucky to have a wonderful trainer/friend who took mine on for me for a few weeks to her amazing yard. When he came home he'd definitely learned more about life and had matured a wee bit in a very positive way.

MissTyc

Visit site
I've always done it at key points in their training where I felt they would benefit from boarding school. I've only ever done 2 weeks at a time with a lesson at drop off and pick up. I've found it really beneficial, esp as I have no facilities at home and sometimes can struggle to get that consistency of work. I would only do it if I trusted the trainer implicitly and could visit unannounced any time (and ride my horse if I felt like it!).

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
I imagine it would make a massive difference to the horse and let the horse step up a level - it’s then much easier for you to step up to the same level. I have a pro rider ride my horse each week and it’s made a real difference. I have no facilities so it’s been hacking over winter. I can then improve to match my horse.

Inky1986

Visit site
Thank you all for taking time to respond.

I have found a trainer I like (what a minefield that was!) - and we have already attended a couple of her clinics.

He is a lovely genuine type but our progression is snail-like due to my lack of consistency. My thought process was that using a professional would help us reach the ‘next level’ a lot sooner than if I was left to it.

paddi22

Visit site
yeah it totally will. I was stuck for time due to a parent being ill and I sent a Ottb I'd had a few months, away for schooling with a guy I knew. he turned the horse inside out, and any speed bumps I'd been hitting in my training were ironed out. the horse was also way better balanced and just stronger in it's core and better able to take weight behind. with ottbs I have, it's always been their balance and bend etc that was the issue, so someone targeting that and working on it is brilliant for the horse. the only downside I find is that you sometimes get a horse back thats very fit, and sometimes a bit too fit for the level of work the owner is doing, but they tend to drop back in fitness so it's not a huge issue.

Jellymoon

Visit site
Yes, I have done it with a couple of young ones when I’ve run into issues, or run out of time due to kids/work etc. With mixed success. I’ve found if it’s due to issues, those issues haven’t magically gone away. If it’s simply for extra education and schooling to improve flat work/jumping, bringing on a young one if I’ve run out of time, then it’s been really valuable. I would say 8-10 weeks is a decent amount of time for someone to make a real difference.
The vital thing is for you to choose the right person. I sent one away for two weeks for extra schooling when I went on hols and found out that the professional also went on hols and the grooms just lunged her for two weeks!!
Terrible! Do lots of homework on your chosen pro...I prefer a small yard with one rider so you know they have to do it all themselves.

Hexx

Visit site
I sent my youngster away for backing with a local event rider when he was 4 last year. She did a brilliant job! Once he was backed and riding out, I went and rode him (probably 10 days in) and then went at weekends to hack him out until he was ready to come home (he stayed at her yard for 8 weeks). Sadly he had a field injury 4 weeks after he came home, so has had the winter off, but he is going back to the trainer next week for a refresher month to get him going again. I think she enjoyed the change from feisty event horses to a big cob!

Inda

Visit site
I sent my girl away for backing/schooling. I was worried it would all be undone as she came back the day before lockdown and not ridden until after the worst of it. She’s doing amazing, out by herself and doing well

RachaelJC

Visit site
I sent my five year old away and ended up getting allocated to a job near where he was (I work as a project manager in construction so move around quite a lot) and ended up staying for a year as it worked for us both.

We've since left and his training hasn't gone backwards. It set us up for success.
Definitely recommended. Ignore what the livery said, they are incorrect.

Sagamoon

Visit site
We sent our OTTB away approx 10 weeks ago for some consistent schooling. Went for lessons on her after she'd been there about a month. She came back a changed horse, something we could never have achieved in the that time frame with full time work and intermittent frozen sand school. We still go back once a week for a lesson. Was well worth the money has been an unbelievable turnaround. I would advise you get someone you trust, that can work sympathetically with ex racehorses and can give lessons.

Teaboy

Visit site
I disagree with those saying 2 to 3 weeks would be enough, 2/3 weeks is not enough time to correct and build the muscle so that when he returns home he won’t revert particularly with an OTTB. Obviously some horses need very little correction and can be resolved with very little effort.
I often get horses to school for 2/3 weeks, owners come and ride them, say how amazed they are and great they feel and 3 weeks later the horse is almost back to where he was.
I would say you need 8-10 weeks at least to really lay correct foundations and muscle that won’t easily be forgotten, obviously a lot depends on you as a rider though and equally the horses starting point.
I work a lot with OTTB and the worst thing that can be done is riders using the wrong trainers, ones who stick draw reins on them and saw their heads off etc and this happens a lot more than I’d like to see so definitely know who your using and their techniques if you do send away.

ihatework

Visit site
I agree with Teaboy, I don’t think 2-3 weeks is enough for fundamental change. Fine for a tune up when the horse has maybe got a bit stuck, but on a less established horse I don’t think you’d get maximum benefit.

If you have budget for 8-10 weeks then I’d opt to go for at least 6 weeks schooling then use the remainder for the trainer to come to you at least twice a week after, and either ride or do a ride/lesson combo.

But bear in mind you do have to put the effort in after to keep the training up, otherwise the do slowly revert. When I was competing dressage I had a pro in once a week to keep my mare tuned up for me. Even the pros get regular help with other people!