Sending them away

Giles R

Visit site
My daughter has a nice 7yr old Welsh sec A on loan. He's green and Very Nappy. Daughter is 8 & is a good rider but doesn't have enough power to drive him through the napping even using the correct aids.

Is it worth sending the pony off for schooling for a few weeks or is it a waste of time and money? Thanks.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
IME, if you just send them off for schooling for a few weeks, they come back better and soon regress, as nothing has changed at home.

Is it possible for someone to come and help your daughter wherever the pony is now? So, they could ride him some, she could ride him some and they could get better, over a longer period, together.

Giles R

Visit site
Thanks for replying. I think you are right. A few people have said something similar. I need to find a strong skinny grown up for ongoing schooling purposes. I might do the 'send away' thing too, just to get up to a better baseline.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I agree that sending away can make them better. I have done that myself, to make progress smoother. It just also needs something to change at home too.

Maybe there is somewhere to send the pony where it could livery on the medium term? So the child could go ride there, with help, before it comes home?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would do a combination of lessons for your daughter and get a larger rider to school for you a few times a week rather than send away, hopefully then within a few months your daughter will have the skills to ride the pony on her own.