Senior BS affiliated on a pony

Sunshine8

Visit site
I am looking for things to aim for in SJ but I am an adult on a 14.1. We are close to being comfortable competing at 90-95cm unaffiliated seniors. We just adjust striding in combinations and she has the scope to cope with this. I saw there were 85cm and 90cm affiliated classes which would open up a lot more opportunities, but is it really a no (despite history with ponies such as Stroller)?
I would love to hear your stories, especially if you have competed as a senior on a pony.

Thanks!

Leandy

Visit site
Google finds the BS members handbook including the rules.

It states as follows so I suggest you read the rulebook and then it should be clear:

An animal that does not exceed 148cm may be registered or re-registered on change of ownership (to a non-family member) in either the pony or the horse grade appropriate to its total winnings in all grades. It must then compete in Junior or Adult competitions as appropriate throughout the rest of the calendar year for which it has been so registered.

Ponies below 14hh (142cm) are not permitted to compete in senior competitions (except club). Ponies of 142cm and above will only be permitted to compete in Senior competitions if registered as a horse and ridden by an Associate or Senior Member. Riders that are eligible for Junior competitions are not permitted to jump ponies in senior classes

Sunshine8

Visit site
Thanks all! I know the rules state I can affiliate (although apparently I can’t do trailblazers!) but just wondered if anyone had….
She measures 14.1hh and are competitive in unaffiliated seniors so really that bling of the amateur 85cm series but feel like I wouldn’t be welcome on a pony

Glitterandrainbows

Visit site
Thanks all! I know the rules state I can affiliate (although apparently I can’t do trailblazers!) but just wondered if anyone had….
She measures 14.1hh and are competitive in unaffiliated seniors so really that bling of the amateur 85cm series but feel like I wouldn’t be welcome on a pony
Your going out and doing it for you and your pony don’t let anyone make you feel out of place or unwelcome I’m sure plenty of people feel the same for one reason or another but if it’s within guide lines and it’s what you enjoy Id go for it !

Grassy

Visit site
I competed in seniors on a pony, 85 & British Novice were big enough for me. No one cared that she was a pony (14.2) & we had loads of fun. If you want to try it, why not jump round on a ticket first at a couple of shows?

Sunshine8

Visit site
I did it with my Connemara in British Novice/90cm amateur classes but he did struggle in 2nd rounds in combinations if the second element was an oxer. Go for it if your pony is a scopy.
I think 90 would be our limit affiliated but thank you for sharing. This would just give us more opportunities to compete. Would you recommend affiliated vs club registration?

Sunshine8

Visit site
I competed in seniors on a pony, 85 & British Novice were big enough for me. No one cared that she was a pony (14.2) & we had loads of fun. If you want to try it, why not jump round on a ticket first at a couple of shows?
Thank you and yes a ticket could be a start ?

CrazyMare

Visit site
I did years ago on a 13.1h before the advent of club classes.

Probably going to take my 14h to do a bit at some stage

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Check with BS as this was a good few years ago but to compete a pony in horse classes, even on a ticket, the pony had to be registered with them as a horse. I'm assuming this is to stop the possibility of them competing in both horse and pony classes. Again this is from 14 or so years ago, you could register a pony as a horse but it could only be re registered as a pony on change of ownership, I think there were a few other restrictions on being re registered as a pony as well.

oldjumper

Visit site
I am looking for things to aim for in SJ but I am an adult on a 14.1. We are close to being comfortable competing at 90-95cm unaffiliated seniors. We just adjust striding in combinations and she has the scope to cope with this. I saw there were 85cm and 90cm affiliated classes which would open up a lot more opportunities, but is it really a no (despite history with ponies such as Stroller)?
I would love to hear your stories, especially if you have competed as a senior on a pony.

Thanks!
Few years ago my daughter re registered her 148 pony when she got too old for juniors. Pony had jumped up to foxhunter in juniors but was still fairly young. He successfully competed BN Disco and newcomers including 2nd rounds but he was an amazing pony with a huge stride! It’s usually the distances that cause problems rather than height of fences.