Senior Dog?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Daisy is now 7 (????), and her food is for ages 1 to 7 years.

Do people move their dogs on to a senior food once they reach 8? And if so, what are the benefits?

Roxylola

Visit site
I never have although I feed raw now.I think one thing is that senior is often lower calories. Tbh, I don't consider my dogs senior at 8 anyway, maybe by 12 but I think I'd be more inclined to add a bit of oil or something if they're doing OK on the food they get

Nicnac

Visit site
No I've never changed to Veteran as mine have stayed as active so needed the calories.

p.s. can't believe Daisy is 7!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I did as my two labs hit 9 or so and were showing signs of being elderly. My little dog is seven this year and doesn’t seem even remotely elderly. I’d hope she will live a lot longer and this is just middle age for her.

islander

Visit site
No, l feed raw and stick with it. They do well on this and l shall carry on with it as long as l can get supplies. I have three at seven years old, they don’t think they are senior!
OH’s gun dogs get proportionately less food as they age and become less active.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
It's just a turn of phrase, 'veteran' classes start at 7, anyone with larger breeds will know to start being a little more conservative with their management as they get older because of wear and tear on the joints.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
That's an interesting question, a couple of our terriers have had kidney failure at the end of their lives (in their late teens) and I've wondered if I should have started them on a low protein diet when they were 13, 14ish to help their kidneys.