Senior lab x losing weight. Food change?

jennywren07

Visit site
We have a lab x she's around 10/11 (a rescue so not 100% but she's been with us 9yrs) she's recently been dropping weight. Not dramatically if she was a horse I'd say she was a poor doer :D bvt confirms nothing wrong and suggested adding an extra meal. However despite being a lab x she just won't bloody eat it unless she wants too.

She's always been fussy and suffered from upset tums so with trial and error we've settled on Arden grange lamb and rice and she's been fine for a good 5 yes on it. Am I going to be best to try changing it? If so suggestions to what? Puppy food maybe? Or is there something I could add to the Arden grange to give it more calories without anymore bulk? RAW is a no go becuse the fussy git won't eat a lot of things and won't eat enough of what she will eat!!

Clodagh

Visit site
I no you say no raw, but wouls she eat minced tripe? I have never met a dog that didn't love it, you can buy free flow packs.

Goldenstar

Visit site
My young lab is picky he's doing better with Canagan but he still leaves it sometimes I do keep all our scraps ( I know dog feeding criminal that's me )for him which does the trick I did think about raw for him but he not mad for raw meat either .
At least it's a bit easier than dealing with fat labs .
In my experiance ( this a serious lab household ) loss of appetite is not that unusual in older labs .
Several of mine have lived the last part if their lives on boiled rice and cooked human mince chicken and the like.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have given Labs who were eating well but losing weight eggs mixed in with their usual food.
I have to say though that weight loss is usually a sign that something is wrong. The one that springs to mind most easily (the one who would steal eggs given half a chance) had a pancreatic tumour which wasn't found until she collapsed, aged almost 15. Then there was the Rottweiler, who had always been difficult to feed, who had a liver tumour. I would want more vet investigations tbh - not because I would want to treat a dog with chemo but becasue I would at least know what I was dealing with.

jennywren07

Visit site
She's had a general work up about 6 weeks ago including bloods (although I couldn't tell you what was tested) with no concerns. She looks fairly well tbh just too thin. It's also not been dramatic loss. I'll give eggs a try hopefully she'll eat them!!

Bellasophia

Visit site
My last old girl dropped a lot of wt..we also used to give hills a/d ...two tins a day ...it's a puree,high concentrated food for convalescent dogs,nursing moms etc..high in calories,low in volume...I would feed this by hand,scooping it into her mouth so I was sure she had it...it definitely helped put and keep weight on my ailing girl.

ihatework

Visit site
She's had a general work up about 6 weeks ago including bloods (although I couldn't tell you what was tested) with no concerns. She looks fairly well tbh just too thin. It's also not been dramatic loss. I'll give eggs a try hopefully she'll eat them!!

My coming 12yo lab sounds like yours. Nothing wrong with his appetite and his bloods are normal but a noticeable loss of weight. As a young fit working dog he was, around 32kg, this went up to 35/36kg when he was out of full work and he now hovers 30/31kg on light exercise.

Vet says it's mostly down to muscle loss.

I have had some good results by adding Millie's Wolfheart Peak Performance feed

druid

Visit site
If she isn't interested in extra meals try to switch her kibble to something more calorie dense. Acana Sport and Agility is good, Millies Wolf heart seems to get good reviews too.

If she might be tempted by wet food I had good results with Specific VetXX Lunch dog food with my old bitch when she dropped masses of weight at 17 with no real firm reason why - it's not what I'd normally feed but it worked to top up her calorie levels. Pemmikan from Kronch also tempted her

Micky

Visit site
Barking heads are a good food..try as said before, an egg or two couple times a week in her food, you could also oven bake mince and add that...? Has routine changed or a new member of household arrived? If it's not medical then maybe stress related..